It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brush Fire Grows At Kennedy Space Center

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Brush Fire Grows At Kennedy Space Center

today.msnbc.msn.com

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. --

A wildfire at Kennedy Space Center grew to 50 acres and prompted an evacuation Wednesday.

Authorities at Kennedy Space Center said the blaze was not contained and was threatening a building on Instrumentation Road.

Officials said an evacuation of the building was ordered.

Helicopters were dispatched from the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission to battle the blaze.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.cnn.com

Another link
edit on 4/27/2011 by forall2see because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Interesting... timing is crucial and I wonder how this will effect the upcoming launch?

There's is not too much information as just yet as to how the blaze started.

I hope this doesn't stir up havoc in NASA launching their second to last launch.

These are the only stories I could find so far. I'll be on post for more as they come.

today.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Fire trucks are stationed at the site and a helicopter can be seen flying around the perimeter. David Sharp, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service reported that no lightning strikes were detected at the site today but noted that "at least 100 ground strikes were reported in that area between 4 and 5 p.m. yesterday." "Whether they started anything we don't know," Sharp said.

No Concern for now...
edit on 4/27/2011 by forall2see because: added content.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
As for the origin I anticipate it being either a lightening strike, carelessness in tending a smaller fire or perhaps even that old reliable, a discarded cigarette butt. Of course, this is just speculation, since I'm not up to speed on the recent weather in that area or local ordinances covering outdoor burning.

Hopefully it will be brought under control soon & not escalate as has happened in past years...and if not, making it necessary to scrub the launch, then a lot of high placed persons will have to adjust their plans accordingly.

Somehow I don't see the media build-up for Sen. Gifford's attendance or the Obama's presence being sidelined for a brush fire. It'll be out by Friday at launch time.
'

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyjem

I hear ya. Gifford is supposedly en route as we speak.

Also, I have enjoyed the thrill of watching shuttles launch since I was young. It's a tradition for my family to sit and watch, popcorn and all! I am rather disappointed that no matter what happens, we may not be able to fulfill our dream of seeing one in person.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by ladyjem
Of course, this is just speculation, since I'm not up to speed on the recent weather in that area or local ordinances covering outdoor burning.

You are spot on. It is very dry here and the national parks are on high alert for wildfires.

State of emergency in Florida's wildfires

Parts of Florida are facing their driest times in nearly 80 years.

Read more: www.upi.com...

(From a month ago)

top topics

join