It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Appointed emergency managers close school for pregnant teen mothers with a 90% graduation rate

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Thread title is:
Appointed emergency managers close school for pregnant teen mothers with a 90% graduation rate

So, exactly how, in this P.C. world of ours, do we have a "school for pregnant teen mothers".

Nowhere in my school district is there a "Washington High School for pregnant teen mothers" and I'm sure there isn't one in your school district, either.

Matter of fact, there isn't even one in Detroit.
There is, however,
Ferguson Academy for Young Women

And from their website:

About Us
Our school is an examination school for gifted/talented students. Students must demonstrate exceptional cognitive abilities and must be able to succeed academically beyond their current grade level. We do vertical acceleration as well as horizontal acceleration. We use the Board of Education curriculum and them extend it with further instruction.

Nothing about pregnant teens.
I think The Nation is spinning this.

And the worst of it all... it's being done by the EMERGENCY MANAGERS... unelected people who just took over elected officials and decided to run the place.

Michigan is run by a big thug who should be kicked out of power...

Only problem is, the big thug who appointed the EMERGENCY MANAGERS has already been kicked out:

Robert C. Bobb Biography

Robert C. Bobb has served as Emergency Financial Manager of the 87,000-student Detroit Public Schools since March 2, 2009.
A one-year appointment by Michigan Governor Jennifer Granholm was extended through March 1, 2011 in October 2009

That would be the previous Governor Jennifer Granholm, who appointed all of the emergency managers.
Link
edit on 27-4-2011 by Oaktree because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman
So, why is it that the tax payer has to foot the bill for a special school for pregnant teens?
Are they a special class of citizen?

It is a sound investment. By ensuring Graduation of these students who may otherwise end up in the Welfare system they are helping to ensure more of these mothers have the skills needed to compete in todays taxpaying workforce. Not only will the mothers benefit but their children will also benefit from educated parents.
I wonder how much tax Macman pays. I pay the full amount and would rather see investments in high school educations for at risk youth than the billions wasted on false flag wars for oil

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

So they have a level playing field in order to make it through high school, graduate, and do something with their lives so people like you don't complain later on about your tax dollars going to pay for the food and housing through welfare. Instead, your tax dollars go toward helping them get the tools that will actually make them successful in life instead of drop outs because they have no one else to care for their kids and because the average public school cannot accommodate their special circumstance.

There need to be more schools like this and yes, maybe we should have more "special" schools. Maybe then, we won't require every kid to conform to a cookie-cutter education. It isn't one-size-fits all and that is something society needs to acknowledge.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

What's to say that any high schooler is going to graduate and not become a welfare recipient? With your logic with should not fund education at all.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   

So, why is it that the tax payer has to foot the bill for a special school for pregnant teens?

yes. mothers are a special class of citizen.

they are BY FAR the most important part of any society and I for one was overjoyed that my tax dollars helped support their education. however they came to be in their circumstances, they are there now and their babies are going to grow up to be real people one day.

I really wish that we got to vote on where our tax dollars went, then you could choose only to give to things that provide you with a short-term benefit, and I could choose to give to things that help make our society better in the long run.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

because when those kids have young children depending on them and anyone with half a brain can tell that if you have a child in high school your chances of having a good and successful life are almost crushed. I mean we could cut the school sure why not. then when they go to regular detroit schools(which i have a have a hard time believing you have ever been in one) they will most likely fail and then the tax payers will just end up paying anyways with all the money we are going to give them from our governments wasteful welfare. I personally would rather my money atleast have a chance of helping someone become contributing succesful member of society than just save it now screw the kids then pay twice as much later

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
When young children don't understand the meaning of there is no money to pay for everything you want, it's understandable coming from a child. When an adult can't comprehend the fact there is no more money, it's another thing altogether.

Everyone knows there is no more money, but when it affects something they want, they become brain-dead to the fact there is no more money. They want their candy and they want it now, no matter who it hurts and even if it destroys the whole economy. It's quite sad actually.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
When young children don't understand the meaning of there is no money to pay for everything you want, it's understandable coming from a child. When an adult can't comprehend the fact there is no more money, it's another thing altogether.

Everyone knows there is no more money, but when it affects something they want, they become brain-dead to the fact there is no more money. They want their candy and they want it now, no matter who it hurts and even if it destroys the whole economy. It's quite sad actually.

If there's no more money then why is the US spending billions of dollars in 3 wars. Its funny governments can always find money for wars and bailouts yet when it comes to improving the life of their citizens there is no more money.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Yes. Pregnant teens are more important than non-pregnant teens. They are a special class of citizen from my personal perspective. Seriously.

But that isn't the point. The point is if your going to cut funding, cut it in the places of the greatest failure rather than cutting the programs with the most success. A business executive would get fired overnight if they had to cut costs and they cut costs at their locations where there was a 90% customer satisfaction rate and maintained the same level of funding at locations where there is a 50% customer satisfaction rate.

The cuts were not made as an effort to make things more fair, but rather more economically successful. And from that perspective they were idiots!

I'm in complete agreement with your implication that pregnant teens should not get special treatment from the government because people's personal opinions have no place in government. However, I'm in complete disagreement that the way you accomplish budget cuts is to cut a successful program over a non-successful one.

The solution to the problem you're talking about would be to open up the class to everyone... not just pregnant mothers. The solution to the problem the OP is talking about on the other hand is not the slightest bit solved by cutting the program yielding great success.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
What a mad world this has become.
Pregnant teens are a special class of citizen.
Rewarding bad decisions with extra attention, thus removing standard attention to the rest.
Parents of pregnant teens not held responsible for their child's actions.
Extra money spent on "special" individuals, then the average student.
The assumption that more money into education equals better education.
Take from some to give to others mentality.

No wonder our economy is in the toilet.

But, go ahead and rally behind more money to fund special projects. Then stamp your feet in tantrum when the nanny Govt tells you that there are more rules to follow or that the money has run dry.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I think it's wonderful that morons on the internet have now turned "Emergency Manager" into a derogatory term..
When they have no clue what they do or how extremely valuable when it comes to the reality of a large disaster.

Good job ATS. I'm proud of you, yet again.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join