It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yunak Evleri Hotel: 5-Star Hotel Built Into Ancient Caves

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Six cave houses dating back to the 5th and 6th century were converted into a 30-room, 5-star hotel called the Yunak Evleri. The rest of the hotel is a reclaimed 19th century Greek mansion that sits adjacent to the caves.

In each room, details are carved directly into the rock face and are finished with antiques dating back to the 1900's Ottoman Empire.

Each room has its own patio overlooking the landscape.

Also, each room has a white marble spa with either a steam shower or a Jacuzzi.

The hotel is being touted as "eco-friendly" and "green" because it is utilizing landscape formations that were already in place.
However, many are outraged at the notion that an ancient archaeological site has been disturbed and revamped for this purpose, particularly monetary gain.

One reader in particular commented:

Unfortunately most preservation efforts require money which may be in short supply. Not everything can be kept pristine without any use. The trick is to decide which sites are so important that they have to be preserved and which sites can be put to some use to pay for their preservation. It’s a judgment call and often a subject of controversy.

So what do you think?
Is this and acceptable and/or commendable "preservation effort"?
Or is this the willful tampering and destruction of an ancient archaeological site for monetary gain?

Yunak Evleri Hotel

edit on 27-4-2011 by stupid girl because: forgot to add article reference link

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
First, I'd be afraid if it is haunted. Not to thrilled about meeting a ghost or spirit.
Second, for centuries we've renovated historical sites, as long as any artifacts found within the cave were not destroyed I think it is a great concept. Being able to stay in a place used centuries ago would be exciting. I'd go to the place. I always wondered why no has done that before.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Absolutely beautiful!

I would stay there and it being haunted would be a welcomed bonus!

It is a nice place. It preserves what was there and lets others admire it. I like it.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by stupid girl

Great find. I would stay there in a heartbeat, if I wasn't broke. S&F for you.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I like it, reminds of what the Hopi indians did in the SW US. The only problem i see by what they are doing is by converting it into a 5 star hotel, it essentially closes it to the public. If you have a historic site like that and the only way you get to experience is by renting an expensive room, thus making it only for the wealthy i think thats wrong.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by lokdog

I fully agree with you. I find it enchanting and certainly would love to experience a night in a place like that.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   

I like it. I guess it would depend on the place they are recovering.
If its already a place with distinct beauty it should not be touched.
When architecture work is done like this, they usually take a lot of stuff in consideration, specially the preservation of the original place.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   

This makes me mad.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Talk about sound proof walls,.
good place for my wife and I

I will say it would seem that defacing history like that is wrong.
But,. on the other hand.. It would be cool to live there

top topics

join