It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Earth colonies on Mars feasible?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Yes, once everything is in orbit it would cost little extra to get things moving, three or four vehicles in tandem.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
In my view, given enough money, Earth colonies on Mars are feasible. I doubt it will be an ideal sort of living. It will probably be awkward and cramped. The point of any colonies should be scientific or economic, in my view. It wouldn't be likely that Mars would be regarded as a desirable place to live, even it was feasible. That could all change, of course, if space was opened up to commercial interests who were permitted to advertise (recall Blade Runner's "Off-World colonies, the chance to begin again...") Let's stump up the capital for a company and make a killing when the Mars property comes up for sale!

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by wooretan
In my view, given enough money, Earth colonies on Mars are feasible. I doubt it will be an ideal sort of living. It will probably be awkward and cramped. The point of any colonies should be scientific or economic, in my view.

Pretty much. It could be done, but it would also be very expensive and the living conditions would be really challenging to the point of being horrible. And it's questionable as to whether the effort would be worth the scientific knowledge gained, or if we can get basically the same information using robots.

When we were first exploring Earth, we sent out little expeditions and set up forts and camps so we could trade with locals and protect settlers. Neither of those things apply with a Mars colony (probably).

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
You would not go there if you were not ready to give up all known lifestyles. It would not be easy but it could be the beginning of a new way of life. I would hate not being able to feel the sun and breeze on a warm day.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Likely it will be private ventures who will take us there first, not big government.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Here are the obstacles:

Currency
Greed
Fear
Power
Ego
Control

etc etc

Will NOT, i say again...
THIS WILL NOT happen in 15-20 years
If you think it will, your dreaming...

WAKE UP!!!

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   
eventually space travel to mars will happen but we might need help from off-planet 'resources'

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join