It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syria To Join UN Human Rites Council

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Hmmm... I guess since the UN kicked Libya off the Human Rights Council they needed someone new to take their place. Sounds like they found a country with a similar record..

Despite Reports of Brutality Toward Civilians, Syria to Join U.N.'s Human Rights Council

The brutal crackdown by Syrian President Bashar Assad may finally be getting the attention of world leaders -- but apparently not enough to stop Syria from becoming the newest member of the U.N. Human Rights Council.

And despite calling for an independent investigation into the crackdown, which has left hundreds dead, U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon apparently won’t do much about blocking Syria’s path to the human rights group.

Are there any qualifications at all to join this council??

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Huh... Its kind of like having the SS investigate Auschwitz.

To answer your question no, there does not seem to be any criteria. I am leaning more and more in favor of just getting rid of the UN and replacing it with something that actually stands for good.
edit on 27-4-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Good Lord! that news matches putting Gordon Brown in charge of what was it, the IMF! Its time like this one's petticoat falls off.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

Syria is into torture.
How the hell did they get on the human rights council???
I guess it doesn't take much these days??

The Mahar Arar case.
www.counterpunch.org...

Reading that link makes me wonder why my country is on the human rights council and why America is on it.
They both violated this guys human rights by sending him to Syria to be tortured for info.
Again tho...Syria.....REALLY?????

top topics

join