It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planned Parenthood in NY Promoting Gay Marriage?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   
A controversial billboard in Big Flats New York (near Elmira NY), features a picture of two gay men, with the title "Someone you know, is in love". This has sparked controversy among many local residents, because the billboard was paid for by a New York State Department of Health grant. Below is a link to the News Video, reported by WETM-TV (NBC).

Planned Parenthood Billboard Video

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/43a06cf07539.jpg[/atsimg]

It seems that Planned Parenthood has taken a stand in supporting gay marriages, even though the local PP Representative, claims the billboard is intended to "raise awareness". I personally think the PP people are just lying, to promote their outrageous agendas.

With PP's history of promoting abortions, it doesn't seem too far-fetched that this is a "new" approach to their "population control" efforts.

What are your thoughts on this?
edit on 4/27/2011 by MadDogtheHunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Here is the article from WETM

Big Flats, N.Y. -

Planned Parenthood has a controversial, new billboard on Route 352 in Big Flats. The billboard has some concerned because it promotes same-sex relationships and was paid for with a New York State grant. Kevin Crowningshield doesn’t like a new Planned Parenthood billboard on Route 352 in Big Flats. It says: "someone you know is in love" and shows two men embracing. “I don't agree with the gay community it has something to with the kids. I don't want my kids seeing something like that,” said Crowningshield. He was not the only one. “I think it should be a man and a woman. It's adam and eve not adam and steve. I wouldn't pay attention to it,” said Timothy Faber of Elmira. Planned Parenthood officials said the billboard is not meant to offend. It's meant to educate about love and acceptance.

Maureen Kelly (Planned Parenthood) said the billboard was funded by a New York State Department of Health grant. “I object to this message that seems to be in support of same sex marriage and using tax payer dollars to support that political agenda,” stated New York State Senator Thomas O’Mara. The gay marriage debate is heating up again in New York. Governor Andrew Cuomo supports it.

SOURCE

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   
PP got a lot of gay couples running in for emergency contraception?

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Really. The Middle East is alight. We are standing on the edge of the abyss in terms of a nuclear disaster in Japan that is out of control. The US Economy is on the verge of collapsing completely. All the while, the US is pouring trillions into fighting 3 illegal wars. And yet somehow, you still all worry about what men do with their dicks!! Get a grip.

If a gay couple can offer a good loving home to an unwanted or abused child, then fair play to them. The amount of kids that go hungry or without education. Why shouldn't gay couples adopt and provide for a child that might otherwise end up on the streets or in care. I think they would do a better job than some so called parents!!
edit on 27-4-2011 by UndisclosedDesire because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-4-2011 by UndisclosedDesire because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
It does make me laugh that with all the other social, political and financial issues facing America, "this" is what people have a moral problem with.

My "traditional" male/female parents' marriage ended in divorce, as did many of my friends. I know more people who come from a divorced or loveless marriage and family than not.

This billboard depicts two people in love, who care for each other and respect each other.

WTF is wrong with that? To the people who object to it - the issue lies with you, not the gay couple.

link   
reply to post by UndisclosedDesire

I'm not arguing for or against what PP is doing, or whether gay relationships are right or wrong. My stance is: "to each their own". Always has been, always will be. The point of this OP, is to bring more attention to what NY is spending tax dollars on, in a possible "quiet" scheme to further the Governors support of Gay Marriage. I won't sit here and say whether Albany is right or wrong with their Marriage agenda. I just think this is something worth a discussion and debate, with Planned Parenthoods seemingly bad reputation as of late, and the fact that its sparking a controversy in NY.

link   

Originally posted by UndisclosedDesire
If a gay couple can offer a good loving home to an unwanted or abused child, then fair play to them. The amount of kids that go hungry or without education. Why shouldn't gay couples adopt and provide for a child that might otherwise end up on the streets or in care. I think they would do a better job than some so called parents!!

100% agree - well said

2nd

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by MadDogtheHunter

And my point was that you should have more of an issue with the amount of money these illegal wars have cost the USA over the past 10 years. Standing next to that, whatever a billboard cost is pretty insignificant.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
PP got a lot of gay couples running in for emergency contraception?

I had the same thought.

why does a gay couple need planned parenting ??
which one is planning on taking the birth control pills ???

Anyway, I thought this was slashed out of the last
budget deal between Dems and GOP. No wonder,
after seeing this billboard sign.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Good!!

2 things i support are coming together.
Gay marriage....fine with me.
Planned parenthood....fine with me.

I am not going to bother splitting political hairs on this one....its fine by me.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by UndisclosedDesire

And my point was that you should have more of an issue with the amount of money these illegal wars have cost the USA over the past 10 years. Standing next to that, whatever a billboard cost is pretty insignificant.

Thats a topic all its own. This is not that topic. And has nothing to do with this topic.

2nd.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Regardless whether this kind of thing is right or wrong...or whether this is something worth wasting 5 minutes of time talking about....this is something that tax dollars should NOT be used for. If people like PP feel the need to promote these things, do it with donations, NOT State grants seeded by NYS Residents Tax Dollars. Its just another example of Government waste of our money.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   

But, but, but, but.....I thought 90% of their business was abortions? Seems like LGBT would be counterproductive to their business model.

Sarcasm of course, just repeating what the honorable representative said in open Congress with no facts to back it up.

Actually, I am a Tea Partier, and a Conservative, but I seen no problem with Gay Marriage. In fact, I don't think someone should even have to be gay. I see no problem with a same-sex legal union for any couple where it makes perfect sense. Old women and widows sometimes move in together to take care of each other, and I believe they should be able to form a union for tax, insurance, and retirement purposes as well.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I have no issue with same-sex relationships either. I just think our tax dollars can and should go for much more useful things.....

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

I used to manage a Planned Parenthood Clinic in Florida, I loved it, it was a great organization to work for. They made everyone no matter your race, religion, orientation or political affiliation feel welcome and valued.

And it still amazes me that people are so ignorant of what Planned Parenthood DOES..contraceptive services are only a small part of the services it offers. Did you know you can go to Planned Parenthood if you have a cold and need antibiotics? When I worked there it cost about $35-45 dollars and that INCLUDED your medication. Try getting that from your doctors office. They also provide services and counseling for battered women, the homeless and incest victims. We also saw a lot of men there, not just women, for a variety of issues.

And I think the ad is great, gay youth need to see that they can have a healthy relationship and live a happy life.

new topics

top topics

join