It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SETI Institute to shut down

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 05:32 AM
link   
If E.T. phones Earth, he'll get a "disconnect" signal.
Lacking the money to pay its operating expenses, Mountain View's SETI Institute has pulled the plug on the renowned Allen Telescope Array, a field of radio dishes that scan the skies for signals from extraterrestrial civilizations.

Source

I find this quite intriguing! Why now?

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   
the search is ur friend

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   
That's very strange, i used the search for SETI before i made a new thread. There wasn't any recently made in the results. Now i see there was one that was made yesterday.. hmm

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Good !

SETI was only dis-information and distraction.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   
I was thinking about this the other, And allthough i am not really into conspiracies and all that ( i do believe in extra-terrestrial life tho cause it is simply impossible that life only happened once).

Thin is i find it rather strange and coincidental that this happens at the same moment that there are NSA documents
that coming to the shore that claim there have been multiple messages recieved.

Allthough i am carefully skeptic about documents like that cause they are so easy to forge and are almost impossible to get verified by a trustworthy source (and who is trustworthy).

I do find this rather rather interesting. 50% in me thinks It could be meaningles but somehow 50% n me also sees
logic in this and thinks maybe this is real and maybe we are on the brink of disclosure of some sorts.

It makes sense to me that SETI is being cut off because there isnt any use for it anymore because they have found multiple signals. And also there is also the WOW signal that SETI (supposedly) never had been able to verify.

BTW i am new here havent really responded yet anywhere but wanted to share my thoughts on this.

Hoping for interesting times on this subject but then again what if it was real, and we would get the indefinit
answer that we are not alone, after that what happens? interesting for a while but maybe after that there will
be a huge void.

Cheers.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Perhaps they need the money for the Department of Defense's new ground based telescope system. I posted here because I thought I had new information to contribute, it was a very good news article that I found. I didn't create a new thread because as it turns out, other clever ATSers were all over it already LOL

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Hmm, it does seem slightly strange because the last time I heard someone mention Setti in the media was Michio Kaku at that World Leaders bussiness conference in Feburary 2011.
He briefly mentioned that Setti had been given an "infusion of funds". I also remember another interview by Michio Kaku on a radio show in 2010. He mentioned that private billionaire investors were providing money along with the NSF and the goverment.

I dunno, maybe Michio is making it all up just so he can sell his new book but it does seem odd that they have run out of money.
Perhaps "Invariance" is correct with their theory that they have diverted the funds to other areas that have a better chance of finding life in outter space.

Link to World Leader Conference Speech.
Videos of Presentations

This is a Youtube link to Michio radio interview.

Michio Kaku Radio Youtube link
edit on 27-4-2011 by Quaid because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Doesn't surprise me...
It always was a crap shoot...mostly due to the tech window.

For us to detect a signal, it would require us to be the right distance away, to catch the right technology type signal, at just the right time. Getting an alien signal (even if the galaxy was teeming with aliens using radio) would still be like trying to find a particular grain of sand, on a particular beach, without even knowing what continent the beach is on.

This isn't the first time you know, so could still be rescued privately again. Who knows.

All that said though, I don't think it's a waste. At least it's an EFFORT to try and communicate.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
this part got my attention:

Pierson did note in the letter that the institute is negotiating a potential partnership with U.S. Air Force to use the dish array to help track space debris, which might give the project the funding it needs to some day resume the search for alien life.

Perhaps the government needs it to track debris from ASTEROID 2005 YU and COMET ELENIN.

SETI hunt for alien life put on hold

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
shock wave comming in from space. You thought katrina, haiti,fukashima was bad guess again. You cannot see it COMMING, just like i said in another thread a week or two ago. Shock wave, prepare.

new topics

top topics

join