It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vircator EMB - Myth or chilling reality?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Is anyone familiar with the Vircator electromagnetic bomb mentioned in the newly released THE CHRISTMAS STRIKE by Stephan Zimmermann (www.Lulu.com)? A massive (388 pp) novel, it seems to represent an in-depth view of apocalypse in the US. This non-nuclear device (according to the author) wreaks havok and cripples the US in an undetecable terrorist strike, literally "in nano-seconds" at the speed of light by frying computer systems, ATMs, and electrical systems. If there are any knowledgeable people out there - does the EMB exist? Could it do what the writer suggests? Is the US government aware of it, or is it another Area 51 - we'll never know! - situation. Appreciate your thoughts!

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Yes, a powerful enough eletromagnetic pulse, like one from a electromagnetic bomb, will destroy all electronics that is not shielded from electromagnetic bombs. I don't know if a single bomb could take out enough electronics to cripple an entire country, but it might be able to take out the power grid.

Btw, 388 pages is not that big. The largest novel I've read was James Joyce's Ulysses with about 920 pages. It was worth it though. The biggest book I own is Misner, Thorpe and Wheeler's Gravitation with about 1280 pages.

join