It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need to get a rifle, and a couple of hand guns - Educate Me

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Yeah, I know. The Px4 9mm is standard issue for the NOPD.

Have you had a chance to shoot the MR1?

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by alphabetaone

All too true, if I could find one of the old .45 lever action winchesters I would take that in a heartbeat, not as powerful as the .444 but lighter and cheaper ammo as unfortunately I do not have a loading system (no place to put one safetly away fromt he kids). But yeah that is the survivors gun if there ever was one.

As for my dream pistol, would be Coonan custom .357 SIG semi-auto with extended clip. That will stop just about anything in three rounds and is controllable unlike most other semi-auto mags. Rare gun though and expensive ammo.

Just curious, what are your thoughts on the Kel-Tec PLR-16?

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Just to clarify the terminology of a magazine and a clip, because they seem to be being used interchangeably. They are different for sure, and I found this video that does a good job of explaining the differences. Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread, but with those two words (magazine and clip) being thrown around, I figured it would help to get a clarification. Enjoy!

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Mikemp44

Well, my initial thoughts on it are an AR in one hand.

But if you're asking me my thoughts on a survival firearm? Quite honestly, it's too uncontrollable to be effective as a handgun, too large to be a handgun, and too small to be a rifle.... so I don't particularly think it fits any niche really well. The magazine is nice for it, and great for plinking around maybe or some fun... but as a utilitarian firearm, I think it falls short. At that point, I would rather have the AR or maybe even (before the company went under) A Crossfire Over/Under 12 gauge/.223 (or .243) and kill 2 birds with one stone
edit on 27-4-2011 by alphabetaone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I say that every good wife has their mans back. and what better way than to have her do over watch with a rifle from the roof of your house when the SHTF. I recommend you get the Howa 1500 Axiom. It shoots a .308 so it will be plenty powerful. floating barrel so it's plenty accurate. it has a synthetic stock so it's fairly light for the lady to carry. It has a short 20 inch barrel so it will be easier to handle for her. and the best part it has a recoil reduction stock and butt. Two massive springs that absorb 30% of the recoil (feels like a 270) so she can shoot it easily without much kick.

Plus it's empowering for the lady to be able to pick off killer zombies or whatever it is when SHTF from 800yds away.

And for the guys the rifle still looks pretty cool and can be used to hunt for food or whatever. But 308 is sorta expensive so it won't be the bread and butter weapon.

The good old 22lr is a great gun too. plus it's easy to mod the magazines to hold 30 plus rounds and one can carry hundreds of rounds with them. a 22 would solve most problems when SHTF.

just my random ramblings.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by My.mind.is.mine

Yeah, I need free guns...
Anyone? hahah. Definitely wouldn't mind picking up a gun and knowing it's there just in case, know what I mean?
But still I'm unarmed, probably always will be, the Universe will provide me with what I need.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by amaster

Yeah, I know. The Px4 9mm is standard issue for the NOPD.

Have you had a chance to shoot the MR1?

Yeah I have but not with the Marines... got to play with one down at my local gun shop... bit rich for my blood and pension plan... but if cost were no object I think I'd go with a FN Scar 16
cant afford one of those either

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by My.mind.is.mine
reply to post by Arcade425

Yea, survival is what I have in mind. It says that when disassembled the pieces fit into the stock??? That + the price are SEXY. lol

Just to be honest (cuz I didn't make it clear in my OP) this is in preparation for when the SHTF which I've only recently started to believe will happen the way that some people say.
edit on 27-4-2011 by My.mind.is.mine because: (no reason given)

I cant say that i know much about guns. But have done a little reading. From what i have read AR's are not good weapons for a survivalist situation because you have to keep them really clean and you have to keep them lubricated. Your not going to want to depend on lubricant to shoot your gun.

As for home protection for your wife. I dont know about your wife but if some one was braking into my house my wife would not be able to shoot the back of her hand with a pistol. She would probably be shaken up and miss. If i wear you i would look into a light shotgun.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
For hunting, close defense: 12 gauge Mossberg 500 (or Remington 870) with interchangable barrels, 26 inch for hunting and the 18 incher for close defense. Stock up on slugs, buckshot and birdshot.

As for assault weapon, I prefer the M1 carbine. You can get 40 round clips for little or nothing. Its a good hundred yard weapon.

For handgun, the .357. It will shoot .38 special also. I like my S&W 66 stainless with 2.5 inch barrel.

For big game, can't beat the 30-06.

Remember, keep weapons that are chambered in common and readily available ammunition, and build up a good cleaning kit for all.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Text Personally You might want to get a couple powerful calibers. I have a couple Ruger handguns and swear by them, never had an issue. 9mm ( P85 ) & .45 ACP ( P345 ) I love 'em. Also 30-06 Semi Auto would be a good choice and WASR 10-63 Mil Hi Cap Semi. I would stay away from 22's, those are like BB's and won't take much down except a mole here and there. AR is a good choice, You want to stick with Semi's in my opinion because you can get off the rounds quicker ( As fast as you can pull the trigger ). A powerful cal is the .44 but only comes as a revolver. 44 is probably the most powerful you can get as far as handguns with the exception of the 500 but the 500 is not suggested. Way too big, bulky, heavy, thing is more like a hand cannon

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
This is where you get into a personal prefernce sorta thing. Do you want large or small caliber. Semi-auto or bolt action. Will it be used for hunting, home defense, defense while on a hike. There are so many factors that come into play here. When choosing caliber you want to consider price of the ammunition, how far your targets are going to be. A good middle would be an AK but they are generaly very heavy rifles, the AR platform is good but requires a bit more maintinence. Personaly I would suggest a Mini-14 or Mini-30 from Ruger. But it's all about preference. Now with handguns alot of the same things come into play. A good place to start would be caliber, uses, and all the things mentioned before. The .45 ACP is a good round but has alot of kick. the .9MM samething with less kick but alot less stopping power as well.The .40 would be good for a primary handgun. These counting on the fact that your other handgun will be you back up gun. In which case I would suggest a .38 special snub nose revolver. The round has power but not overwhelming power.
edit on 27-4-2011 by THEuntouchable because: Spelling

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by quebecpq
Text Personally You might want to get a couple powerful calibers. I have a couple Ruger handguns and swear by them, never had an issue. 9mm ( P85 ) & .45 ACP ( P345 ) I love 'em. Also 30-06 Semi Auto would be a good choice and WASR 10-63 Mil Hi Cap Semi. I would stay away from 22's, those are like BB's and won't take much down except a mole here and there. AR is a good choice, You want to stick with Semi's in my opinion because you can get off the rounds quicker ( As fast as you can pull the trigger ). A powerful cal is the .44 but only comes as a revolver. 44 is probably the most powerful you can get as far as handguns with the exception of the 500 but the 500 is not suggested. Way too big, bulky, heavy, thing is more like a hand cannon

Desert Eagle 357,44 and 50AE

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by silicon27

you never owned a Deagle (Desert eagle) have you???
There horrible... constant jams, stove pipes, parts breaking at the worse possible times...
that's why you'll never see one in a ISPC comp... their simply not reliable enough to count on during a professional match.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare

There horrible... constant jams, stove pipes, parts breaking at the worse possible times...

...and almost unmanageable in a quick use scenario...

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
an AK at work...

Here’s some Thursday morning entertainment. It’s apparently a Libyan rebel fighter showing off his skills with an AK-47 (it might actually be an AK-74U). Too bad the weapon just doesn’t want to cooperate. In fact, it hates firing so much, it self destructs after a few rounds.

[yvid]
[/yvid]

I think ill stick with a S&W MP15...

becareful with the AK's..

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
reply to post by silicon27

you never owned a Deagle (Desert eagle) have you???
that's why you'll never see one in a ISPC comp... their simply not reliable enough to count on during a professional match.
I'll second that plus it's like holding a two by four.OP ak-74 and glock 22 they are quite reliable machines.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   

A powerful cal is the .44 but only comes as a revolver.

My point was it is not a revolver caliber only!!! and Yes i had desert eagle in 50 AE, trade it, too expensive to plink and I never had a single problem with IT. Polish feed ramp, and few other parts, keep it clean just like every other firearm!

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nightbreed67
reply to post by My.mind.is.mine

rugar M14 .223 cal.
Hi-point .40 cheap and heavy duty
Its RUGER MINI-14 and Hi-Points are worthless pcs of jnk...he says price is no object so go with a Springfield or a Sig

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Well...here's another two cents (a thousand more replies and you can buy your guns with our pennies..:lol

The 45 Colt round can be handloaded up to 44 mag performance. You can get lever rifles in 45 colt...Marlin makes a good one. You can get a 357 rifle and pistols and stick to one caliber. Just an idea.

Having said that take a look at the SIG223. Heavy, but good.

Personally..

The M1A rifle.
357 snub nose in ankle holster.
1911 in hip holster or SIG SP2022 40 cal.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Ruger Mini-14 is a good solid rifle...it can be used as a game rifle and it also fires the 5.56 round carried by US troops...so get the ammo off dead soldiers aka Charlie...just sayin... good "killin' rifle too.

Also..a 9mm..Ruger P85 is a good solid auto handgun

The other is a Ruger .357 magnum stainless steel...with black grips...intimidation factor alone is great...and is deadly accurate in a practiced hand...I would rather have a Ruger .357 six shooter over a (mm anyday... just a preference....I like livin like cowboys and black coffee too..

Most firearms are a matter of preference...I like SturmRuger...good product at as good price.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join