It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need to get a rifle, and a couple of hand guns - Educate Me

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
For SHTF survival?
Bulgarian AK (do your homework though)
Springfield XD 40 or 45. (Fill it with sand, submerge in h20, or drop it off a 100 ft. cliff it'll still fire and it holds lots of ammo)
S&W snubby 38spl. or 357 as an ankle or boot gun.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
I just saw an AR online for like $895, is that a normal price for a brand new one?

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by My.mind.is.mine
reply to post by wasco2

The pistols are for home/self defense. I would like to get more than one because trying to find something my wife can even HOLD right is gonna be hard. She's super small and has super extra small hands.
Makes you feel like a big man huh lol wife extra small hands.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by pcrobotwolf

oh ok cheap shots huh!?? lol

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by TraptInTheSystem
reply to post by Subjective Truth

I agree with you that AK's aren't as accurate as an AR when compared, but they always shoot, atleast mine has.

Dont get me wrong they are reliable. But so are potatoe guns. I have found Aks to be very inaccurate over 100 yards.

If you do not have the money to buy a AR then a Saiga is a good solution.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   

You mean like this one?

Saiga

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by My.mind.is.mine

Well, then your first priority should be getting her something she can shoot. I wouldn't go smaller than 9mm. Maybe one of the smaller S&W revolvers in .357 Magnum. You can load it up with .38 Special if the .357 recoil is too much for her. Best advice is take her around to a few gunstores and see what's comfortable in her hand. If you look for stores with ranges you might be able to rent one of any gun she likes. Glocks have fairly thick grips because of the double stack magazine. I have big hands anyway so it's never been an issue for me.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Honestly I had a S&W Sigma (it was the later version and didn't have the first gen. feed issues) the SD is the Sigma with a new name to get away from their early model feed issues. It's pretty much a glock copy but it's all made in the US not China like the glocks...in fact they're so close to the glock design they actually sued S&W and they settled outta court and with a tag of around 300$ and rebates for extra free clips it is a great deal. But the XDM is bout the nicest thing on the market right now. Just type XDM reviews in google and read up on the blogs you'll see. About the Rifle it all comes down to you. Do you know how heavy 200 7.62 rounds is...it's not light at all I can tell you that much. Now the 5.56 is light but that would mean an AR and with a direct gas blow back they get dirty real fast so unless you can keep it clean then what's the point it has to fire to be effective. The M14 fires the heavier round is good for long range the fact that people like AKs and SKSs means you'll still find plenty of 7.62 rounds. Also it isn't a direct gas blow back so it won't need as much cleaning. Really it's down to what type of person you are and what situation it would be used in. Also don't forget if money isn't an option go buy like 5-10,000 rounds cause that's gonna be the big thing. A .22 seems silly and not too effective until the guy with the .308 or whatever runs out of ammo and I'm still holdin 200+ rounds ya know.

ETA: if she has small hands the S&W SD is the gun for her it is thin mine fit in my hand so nicely and I don't have really big hands or anything. It was a 14rnd clip too and it was a .40 but if she needs something a little lighter on the recoil then they also make a 9mm SD as well.
edit on 27-4-2011 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by My.mind.is.mine

You mean like this one?

Saiga

Yep, I owned one in .308 they make them in .223----410 shotgun----12 gauge---7.62x39

It was a OK gun for the money I upgraded the stock to one like in your link. You have to be careful what mags you buy for them some dont work.

If you want a good .308 a Springfield M1A fits the bill. Also a Remington 700 is a great gun.

As far as handguns go Glock and Springfield make great guns. And they also both make compact guns for small hands and conceal.
edit on 27-4-2011 by Subjective Truth because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-4-2011 by Subjective Truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by RickyD

I'm definitely gonna read a few reviews on the sigma. Nice recommendation.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
In the end times (if that is what your looking at) your arms will only lead you to your own death. Sorry, just some realism unless you get a community together.

Weapons will lead you unto your own self destruction if you are not in allegiance with others. I would not be afraid of you if you had your pea shooter and I wanted your food.

You would be a fly too swat and get out of my way. Weapons.....duh.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   

If price is not an issue get:

Desert Eagle .50 for show and power
Glock 9mm for reliability
M4 Carbine rifle with a suppressor and scope for silent and accurate protection/destruction
Arctic Warfare Magnum to snipe large game with one shot kills
Maybe, a crossbow or a less powerful sniper for smaller game

That's my plan anyway

edit on 27-4-2011 by tooo many pills because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by tooo many pills

Yeah....well ya gotta be able to shoot to be worth anything. Think about it. You can have a boat load of weapons, but if you can't aim straight............they ain't worth nothing. When it comes to times where we kill for food and others provisions, your fire power means nothing. There are people that will not fire a shot and take your stash.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   
My opinion for SHTF guns are to plan for the ammo not the guns themselves. In a post apocalyptic zombie horde scenario think of where you can obtain ammo. Unless you plan on lugging around ammo cans or cases of ammo for your guns you may have to scrounge or barter for more.

Military and law enforcement typically use 5.56mm (.223 Remington) as a rifle round and 9x19mm Parabellum (9mm Luger) for pistol rounds. 12 gauge shotgun shells are used by police, military and millions of sportsmen.

.45 ACP and .40 S&W are also pretty popular semiautomatic pistol cartridges and have a bit more knockdown power than the 9mm.

Personally, I'm partial to the .308 Winchester (7.62x51mm NATO) for a reach out and touch someone rifle round. It's popular with sportsmen and military and police snipers as well.

Unless Russia or China invades, chances of getting your hands on some AK or SKS ammo (7.62x39mm) after you run out might be tough.

Just my two cents.

edit on 27-4-2011 by survivalstation because: forgot to include the .308

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by brilab45

True, but the only way how to learn to shoot with those weapons is to buy them and practice.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by survivalstation

Star to that post. Things are not what we think they will be in the advent of having to utilize such life saving procedures. Yea....shotguns will fire. The smart ones will be underground with their food and family.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by tooo many pills

Certainly.....but how much can you practice under martial law?

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
If money is at all an issue don't get anything HK. They are very nice weapons, but extremely expensive for what you get.

I'd suggest, for a pistol, to look into either a .357sig or 10mm Glock. Full size or compact is depending upon your requirements. Cheaper than HK and just as reliable IMHO. 9mm would also be an option, and while less powerful than 10mm of 357, ammo is probably going to be a lot easier to find after TSHTF. Weigh these aspects as you will.

For a rifle, you are going to spark off the whole ARvsAK debate, but that tells you one thing, get either an AK or AR heh. I personally, for a SHTF scenario, would prefer an AK, which is why I own an IOTec AK. Extremely reliable, accuracy at long range isn't the best, but honestly you shouldn't be engaging an enemy at over 50 yards in a SHTF situation. If you are that far away it's easy to simply run away. I used to own a Bushmaster, as had far more problems with that then my current AK, so that's where I'm coming from.

If you do get an AR platform rifle I'd suggest getting one that is pistol driven system instead of direct impingement. Direct impingement ARs gunk up a lot quicker than pistol driven (which is what the AK uses) ones.

It would be a good idea to go to a range and try and rent the guns you plan on buying to make sure they are to your liking. Just because something looks good on paper doesn't mean that you are actually going to like it when you get it.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by brilab45

With that arsenal... as much as you want :-p

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Ok...Lots of advice has been given here and I don't want to make you feel crowded OP. But there's a lot more discussion about AR vs. AK than there is actually giving you advice on the matter.

Things to consider when picking out a rifle for serious defense:

1. Your level of experience

2. What you are comfortable with as far as recoil

3. How much ammo you want to carry

4. What ammo is most readily available

5. What rifle parts are most readily available.

AK 47 rifles are, in fact, reliable and true to their legend. You can abuse the hell out of them and they will keep on going. BUT should something go wrong with the rifle it is much harder to quickly field strip and replace parts in a pinch. Not many gun stores will carry AK parts on the ready as many have to be imported and there are restrictions on that kind of thing. Secondly in a SHTF scenario the most common weapon you will find in the US is NOT going to be the AK 47 or any of it's offshoots. While 7.62x39 ammo is relatively easy to find anywhere, rifles chambered in it are not.

The AR 15 is a highly accurate and dependable rifle. It's parts are very readily available in the US and is a very modular weapon. Meaning if you have an AR lower assembly you can attach an upper to it in nearly any caliber configuration. It's design(straight line gas tube) make the recoil much more manageable and more accurate follow up shots can be made. The AR 15 has evolved a lot in the 40+ years it's been around. The problems of the past are no longer seen or have been greatly minimized as new design techniques, materials, and accessories have improved the overall functionality of this weapon.

The 5.56x45 round(and it's lower pressured twin the .223 Remington) are VERY common in the US and in a pinch you are guaranteed to be able to find some. It is so plentiful, as a matter of fact, that the military regularly sells off surplus of this ammo because they cannot use it all realistically. And that is with 2 ground wars going on.

I am not someone who gets down on the AK 47. I like the rifle just fine and if I were living in the ME or in Russia I would recommend it over the AR 15. But we are not in the ME or in Russia.

Pistols have been covered here pretty well.

But I would recommend you buy new, and here are the brands I would buy in your position:

XD45, Glock 23, Ruger SR9, and anything by S&W.

I hope I've helped a little.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join