It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Super Laser Could Output More Power than All Human Civilization

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Super Laser Could Output More Power than All Human Civilization

techland.time.com

What do you get when you spend $1.2 billion on triple laser laboratories in the Czech Republic, Hungary, and Romania? Try: The building blocks for a mind-boggling super laser that's almost "didn't I see that in a Keanu Reeves flick?" powerful.
How much power are we talking? Probably not enough, say, to take out a planet with one ominous electric-green burst, but how about twice the total power output of all human civilization?

Read more: techland.time.com...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Freaking lazers!

Can someone tell me why we really need a 200 petawatt lazer for? Something that has more output than the sun itself?

Are we expecting alien attack? It just blows me away that we'll have the deathstar main gun here on earth.

Practical applications? What the heck are they really going to use that for?
Freakin A!

techland.time.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Maybe they're gonna use it to blast away Nibiru or, more realistically, a huge asteroid or comet on a collision course with Earth.

You think maybe those scientists were trying to compensate for something by building such a big gun?

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

They'll also be blasting a large hole in the atmosphere while they're at it.

Truth be said, just to say they did it.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Powerful lasers can be used for fusion research. The power is not constant, as the lasers are not sources of energy
they just act like a capacitor so to speak..

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
A deterrent for Russia to stop using Haarp on the USA??????????????????

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Great !

Now if we can get a decent targeting system we won't have to put a deep drilling crew on an asteroid that's going to impact the earth. (It's so hard to drill a hole that deep for nukes)

We should be able to blast it out of the sky

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
If they can output more energy than the sun itself, is that not free energy, as earth doesnt have more than this?

And why would it be used as anything but power to the people?

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekeye2
A deterrent for Russia to stop using Haarp on the USA??????????????????

Russia doesn't own haarp.

The USA does.

I guess the laser would fire an extremely short pulse. That much energy would be impossible to generate. Only way to fire it would be to store the energy in capacitors and release it into the laser all at once. It would be a very brief flash, but WHAT A FLASH.

I also wouldn't think you could fire it very often. It might take months or years to store up that much energy.

I wonder what their electric bill will be?
edit on 26-4-2011 by LazyGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Misleading.

The total power received by the Earth from the sun is a whopping 174 petawatts (getting closer, but still shy of the mark).
this is saying how much of the sun's energy hits the earth. There would be a vast larger number not hitting earth. It is definately interesting to see us outputting more power than what is coming in though.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Sound like evil science to me! It's probably gonna be part of some global asteroid defense grid.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Russia has their own HAARP stations to study the ionosphere, they been at it longer than the USA.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Lasers are funny… They are still “philosophical answers” waiting for “questions”.

Tell me about “ high speed particles accelerators” to meet the demands. Lasers are too funny atm.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
What are the implications of triggering "the breakdown of the vacuum, the fabric of space-time itself?" What does that mean? What happens as a result?
LINK

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I saw a movie about this.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
what WOULDN'T you use a lazer like that for? you could sit at an ominous desk with an ominous red button and scream "FIRE THE LAZERS!!!" bad. ass.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
stopping asteroid would be a good use like was said

another use for it would be excuse the word choice to "laze" several thousand inbound mirvs

so much for spending the billions on a missile defense shield

and it was done for little over 1 billion bucks

see what people can accomplish without an american democracy

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
If they can output more energy than the sun itself, is that not free energy, as earth doesnt have more than this?

And why would it be used as anything but power to the people?

Time magazine was pretty much just paraphrasing New Scientist magazine and that article makes a lot more sense, mentioning that the laser only shines for "1.5 x 10-14 seconds, less than a tenth the time it takes light to cross the diameter of a human hair".

Source: www.newscientist.com...

Furthermore it can probably go without saying that the input power is more than the output power, so even if the laser were constantly shining you STILL couldn't use it to generate power.

Free energy may exist but its a waste of time to talk about. Either an invention works or it doesn't. If it works, then start generating power and sell it for cash. Or, release the plans to the world on video by showing a simple tutorial how anyone could easily build one with the clearly displayed materials. With free energy I have a put up or shut up attitude.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
WOW !!

Would be great for taking out mother ships !
Or perhaps fission ?

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
1/200th on the way to the power needed to use time travel I would guess.
You gotta wonder, what are their REAL goals with this type of power.

MASSIVE working fusion generators are the future...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join