It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing Grace & House of the Rising Sun...Same tune, different lyrics.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
On a little music kick here so I thought I would post something that I believe a lot of people aren't familiar with.

Amazing Grace and The House of the rising Sun are one and the same as far as the mechanics of music go.

I heard this from someone once and never thought much of it but if you over lay the lyrics to each song, you can see the fit.

Without going into the mechanics of the thing, I have chosen to embed a few examples to show this amazing (IMO) coincidence?

Amazing Grace...Anonymous

House of the Rising Sun...The Animals.

Jerry Lawson & Talk of the Town: House of the Rising Sun
(Amazing Grace in the Background)

A compilation of both:

Love this version!

And just had to throw ol' Willie in for a bow down to the great man himself. Just for the hell of it.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

You can get to House of the Rising Sun from Amazing Grace only by leaving out bits.

They have similar chord progressions.

They sound quite different, melodically, to me.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by chr0naut
reply to post by jude11

You can get to House of the Rising Sun from Amazing Grace only by leaving out bits.

They have similar chord progressions.

They sound quite different, melodically, to me.

Melodically...yes.

Mechanically...not so different at all.

The interesting part for me is that these two songs, one about a House of ill repute and one about well, saving grace, are so similar as to be able to perform both at once.

For me tho, they are both amazing. Not only in their meanings but just to the ear.

Beautiful.

edit on 26-4-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Jude dude

Spring and summer of 64. I first heard it by the Animals about half an hour before leaving my car for a two week hike along the John Muir Trail from Mt. Whitney to Yosemite Valley. Oh man what a charge it was to get back to a radio and spend a dollar for a 45 rpm.

However you need to go back to before the Animals to find its origin. Nina Simone recorded it in 62 and Dylan stole it right out from under the nose of Dave Van Ronk. It had been floating around in RB and country for a number of years before that but it took the Animals to truly bring out the soul of it.

Thanks Jude for that memory

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by TerryMcGuire
Jude dude

Spring and summer of 64. I first heard it by the Animals about half an hour before leaving my car for a two week hike along the John Muir Trail from Mt. Whitney to Yosemite Valley. Oh man what a charge it was to get back to a radio and spend a dollar for a 45 rpm.

However you need to go back to before the Animals to find its origin. Nina Simone recorded it in 62 and Dylan stole it right out from under the nose of Dave Van Ronk. It had been floating around in RB and country for a number of years before that but it took the Animals to truly bring out the soul of it.

Thanks Jude for that memory

I stand corrected. I posted the animals as this is what most people remember.

Nina Simone indeed was in my opinion the all time classic. Dylan, although great was at best only a copy. I also say that about Elvis but I still have admiration for the man.

Until recently, Amazing Grace was always 'Anonymous but a recent discovery (10 yrs ago?) found this:

Amazing Grace:
The Story of John Newton

www.anointedlinks.com...

But this is still in debate. That's why I posted Anonymous.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Almost like Pachelbels Canon, The progression from that song is basically the worlds most used progression of all time.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by 4Starlight2Decay0
reply to post by jude11

Almost like Pachelbels Canon, The progression from that song is basically the worlds most used progression of all time.

Not Familiar.

Can you post a vid?

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   

And heres some loser trying to be Dane Cook who also sucks

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by 4Starlight2Decay0

And heres some loser trying to be Dane Cook who also sucks

Ahhh... Got it!

4:4 and all is good.

The birth of Rock & Roll?

Thanks

PS. Dane Cook sucks!

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I LOVE singing Amazing Grace to the tune of the House of the Rising Sun...and love the audience's responses to it as well!

Secondly, I LOVE Willie Nelson!!! I was born and bred on The Redheaded Stranger and his HIGHway men cohorts!

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by staciebee
reply to post by jude11

I LOVE singing Amazing Grace to the tune of the House of the Rising Sun...and love the audience's responses to it as well!

Secondly, I LOVE Willie Nelson!!! I was born and bred on The Redheaded Stranger and his HIGHway men cohorts!

Yeah...Willie Rocks!

Remember Waylon & Willie?

Can't get better than that.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Preach it!

2nd

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by staciebee
reply to post by jude11

Preach it!

2nd

Ohhhh...A fellow Willie fan!

This one's for you! It ain't Willie but...

new topics

top topics

join