It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Firefox and chat...what gives!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Ok this is getting really annoying and I know I am not the only one with this issue.

WHY is it almost impossible to access chat with FF?? I have clicked and clicked and clicked til I am blue in the face...so then I just go to IE, which I can't stand but I can get into chat....IE however is horrible and slows everything down and I can't click links in chat because it will open in IE when I have FF open..It's a confusing mess for my non-computer literate mind!

I had this problem when I first joined because all I had was FF so I never went into chat, then I was able to get in and now I never leave but I really don't like IE and having IE and FF open together are a pain, they freeze constantly.

Why is this so hard and complicated!?! Why can't it be fixed? Will it get fixed?

I know nothing of computers and how this stuff works but the site got pretty fancy and yet this is still an issue....Will it ever work?

Dont tell me to clean my cookies and all that crap, it's a pain in the butt and i don't know how to do all that. I want to click chat and CHAT!

Does FF just have issues or what is it?? Someone please explain in simple non computer jargon terms

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
turn off your popup blocker

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I agree. I have stopped chat altogether. I hate IE, and refuse to use it. FF is my browser of choice. If I cannot chat, then I don't.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Same problem here but this is the first time it's happened. I don't know if it's a bug to send to Mozilla or ATS lol

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by MurrayTORONTO

Murray!!!!!!!!!!!

It comes up with the window to agree to terms and then from there it's just a gray box.
I will try this...I just dont want to use IE and FF anymore.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

Someone please explain in simple non computer jargon terms

Why bother asking for an explanation you won't understand when you can't be bothered to learn something simple liking clearing cache and cookies, or to download another browser that does work.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776
I agree. I have stopped chat altogether. I hate IE, and refuse to use it. FF is my browser of choice. If I cannot chat, then I don't.

I live in chat lol I NEED chat!

I dont like IE period...it is always messing up and takes forever to load pages. I switch to FF and it is so much better plus I like the earthquake add on on FF

I know many others have had this problem but I dont remember really seeing if they said why it does this.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ambiguous

Someone please explain in simple non computer jargon terms

Why bother asking for an explanation you won't understand when you can't be bothered to learn something simple liking clearing cache and cookies, or to download another browser that does work.

Blah blah blah...you don' know me so you don't get the comment I made...If you knew me you would get why I said that...

typical..this is the rant forum so yea remember that..its MY rant which means MY terms

I shouldnt have to clear ANYTHING to get in chat..its a pain in the butt. Also NOT downloading another crappy browser.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by MurrayTORONTO

That didn't work...still a grey box...I will let it sit. I remember someone saying that after like 10mins it opened lol

IE is just pissing me off lately and I can't take it!

I want to click on links in chat but I can't because if I click on a link in chat it opens IE and not FF and then it freezes everything lol

I can't wait til I get my new laptop.....my computer rant threads will be over with lol

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

I don't have to know you. I don't want to know you. Your rant is in an open forum that anyone can respond to. So, answer the question or ignore it, makes no difference. Get your problem solved or don't get your problem solved, makes no difference either.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I never chat, but I just tried with FF and got in...

Don't know if that helps.

There was a new flash update the other day, maybe that's it.

I need to find something to rant about!

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   

I get the same issue with FF.

What I do is after the t&c part, when it gets to the grey part and won't go any further I just close(not minimize!) the window. Then i open up chat again, and the next time I open the chat window back up again for some reason it goes right on through to the rooms with only a slight pause at the grey screen.

I'm sorry I don't have a proper solution, this is just the way Ive done it since day one and doesn't take long at all.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ambiguous

I don't have to know you. I don't want to know you. Your rant is in an open forum that anyone can respond to. So, answer the question or ignore it, makes no difference. Get your problem solved or don't get your problem solved, makes no difference either.

No its not an open forum and not everyone can respond. You have to be a member.

Again this is the rant forum and since you are new let me tell you what that means. It means I can come to this forum to VENT about whatever my little heart desires. If you don't like it there are about 50 other forums you can read....got it?

If you knew me you would love me

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
I never chat, but I just tried with FF and got in...

Don't know if that helps.

There was a new flash update the other day, maybe that's it.

I need to find something to rant about!

I updated my flash

IDK..I had this problem when I joined ATS but I was on a different computer too using FF. I know others have had the same problem. I don't get it. If I was computer savy I would

I like the rant forum...it is a nice way to vent lol Most of the time I joke around and vent at the same time

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by polarwarrior

I get the same issue with FF.

What I do is after the t&c part, when it gets to the grey part and won't go any further I just close(not minimize!) the window. Then i open up chat again, and the next time I open the chat window back up again for some reason it goes right on through to the rooms with only a slight pause at the grey screen.

I'm sorry I don't have a proper solution, this is just the way Ive done it since day one and doesn't take long at all.

Ok cool...I just tried this and no go lol

It is actually funny to hear people's stories and how they get into chat on FF lol
The cookies and cache thing doesn't work for me either.....

I dont want to get on IE but I want to chat! lol

Thanks though

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I had the same problem mb....I switched to Google Chrome...never had another problem. Go figure.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Yes i confess it does drive me a little insane having to work a opening of hells gate spell and sacrficing a goat each time i want to get into chat.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Tasty Canadian

Ahh I forgot about Chrome. Now that I like and don't mind downloading. I will delete FF...Can you delete IE?

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by MurrayTORONTO

That didn't work...still a grey box...I will let it sit. I remember someone saying that after like 10mins it opened lol

IE is just pissing me off lately and I can't take it!

I want to click on links in chat but I can't because if I click on a link in chat it opens IE and not FF and then it freezes everything lol

I can't wait til I get my new laptop.....my computer rant threads will be over with lol

LOL i didnt even read who the OP was... hey

Yeah IE is pretty ghetto I would strongly advise against using that.. though apparently the new version is better.

If it's giving you a grey box in IE it's probably due to security settings not allowing the chat to load. Try other browsers or add ats to any allow lists in the security area if you're having problems. Firefox gives me a grey box when i have 'permanent private browsing mode' on, so it's probably to do with your cookies.

Chrome has never given me problems with ats chat so give that a try. and yeah your new laptop, isnt that going to be a mac?
;p

ps. in FF, in options on the 'advanced' tab there is an option at the bottom to set FF as default browser.
edit on 27-4-2011 by MurrayTORONTO because: (no reason given)

top topics

join