It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Edwards had me until...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 10:23 PM
link   
...why am I so cynical.

Lets get this out of the way first. I hate Bush.

The whole time I listened to Edwards I had a nagging voice inside my head. Despite the eloquent visionary speech of keeping beacons lit, and promising dreams of a united America, my little voice said things like:

"did he just USE his parents to score political points?";
"How is he gonna pay for all the social programs?";
"Oh, OK he is going to roll back a tax break to the top 2%.";
"And give tax breaks to companies who promise not to export jobs.�
�Hmmm, I wonder how many are party contributors?�
�I wonder if that is enough to pay for the dream of full living wage employment for all that he is selling".

Then Edwards started into military and foreign affairs.

The war in Iraq goes on, the military gets to keep all its new weapons programs and veterans get taken care of. The insane foreign policy goes on when that�s what is draining the economy that would accommodate the dream of �hope is on the way�. Why is nobody on the convention floor yelling �Bring the Troops Home�?

Is the little voice inside my head right to be so skeptical?

Hey, he IS better than Bush/Cheney!

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 10:31 PM
link   
You bring up some good points, I think there are alot of people out there looking for something they can sink there teeth into, but like you I have questions which go unanswered, I don't need cheerleading to influence my opinion I need sound solutions, not promises. But in fairness, it is the convention and a big pep rally for the party, I expect the same from the Republicans next month.

Questions remain, and answers are few and far between...IMO

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 10:42 PM
link   
It's good and right that you question what he, or anyone, says. The thing to keep in mind is the belief and hope of many unknown possibilities. The future IS the unknown country from which NO man has come. Ask the practical questions of how and why are we going to do things, but leave behind the fear and anxieties and worries. Even if things turn out not to be [completely] doable those emotional drags serve no practical purpose. Open yourself, your mind to the possibilites and perhaps something will flow into the void. The future is flowing towards and past us, we have to reach out and grasp those elements that we see as useful and interesting, before they slip into the past.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I just want a president who balances the budget and makes sure the US is protected. Not Iraq, not the #ing Saudis, Kuwait, or Israel - the USA.

Balance budget.
Defend USA.
Kill national debt. (7.5 trillion and climbing)

It's great we're fighting for something in Iraq but we're killing ourselves with our debt and insecurity at home anyway.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 04:20 AM
link   
I read Edwards Bio in Time Mag, and was really impressed with the guy.
The best person to be a politician, is someone who didn't want it. He was a successful lawyer until his son was killed and then he entered politics.

Although i expect Kerry to fail at this election I predict Edwards will be running against Bush at the next one, and will win.

He really seemed an honest person, a rare breed, who came from nothing and made his own fortune.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken
Although i expect Kerry to fail at this election I predict Edwards will be running against Bush at the next one, and will win.

Thats impossible! There is a two term limit to the president here. That is, unless they change the laws. Highly unlikely tho.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 04:34 AM
link   
LOL!
SO much for my analysis, then. 2 terms is hardly long enough for a good leader to work in. Still I bet Edwards will be back as presidential material for the next election...

Originally posted by baked
[Thats impossible! There is a two term limit to the president here. That is, unless they change the laws. Highly unlikely tho.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by baked

Originally posted by Netchicken

Thats impossible! There is a two term limit to the president here. That is, unless they change the laws. Highly unlikely tho.

- What you think Jeb wants to left out off his go at the trough? Really?

Ten to one the Bush club have plans for another one after dub-ya.

new topics

top topics

join