It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

France and Italy in call to close EU borders in wake of Arab protests

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

As far as I'm aware we are required to show a passport before entering the UK. I know it's possible to leave for Europe and stay in Europe without a passport but it's re-enterring the UK which will be the tricky bit.
The UK border agency website indicates that a person who holds a national identity card for EEA citizens may also enter the UK (I'm assuming this is what they would have had), though as far as I'm aware these don't apply to us in Britain and this method of entry is solely for EU citizens who wish to enter the UK. For a British citizen to enter the UK after travelling abroad we are required to show a passport upon entry.
edit on 13-5-2011 by lifeissacred because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
first move to denmark: telegraph

The Scandinavian country deployed an extra 50 customs officers at crossings on the German and Swedish borders in an attempt to curb cross-border crime and illegal immigration. This figure will rise to 98 by the end of the year. Denmark, which belongs to the EU’s passport-free Schengen zone, also plans to increase video surveillance at crossings and build four new customs houses. Denmark’s decision to become the first country to break ranks with its Schengen peers has sparked concern for the future of unrestricted travel between EU countries. The principle of open borders is already threatened by political pressures created by the influx of refugees fleeing the turmoil in North Africa.

interestingly:

Cecilia Malmstrom, European commissioner for internal affairs, warned of repercussions for Denmark if it was found to break Schengen regulations. “If the Danish government proceeds with a proposal in breach of EU law, we stand ready to take the necessary measures to protect the European values of free movement,” she wrote in her blog. Guido Westerwelle, Germany’s foreign minister, criticised the Danish move, saying it endangered EU co-operation and solidarity, while Jorg-Uwe Hahn, Europe minister for the German state of Hesse, called for Germans to boycott holidaying in Denmark by “voting with their feet” to punish the Scandinavian country.

Bluff and bluster, Schengen is dead with the european wide economic carnage it's a certainty. I reckon by Christmas it will be dissolved.
edit on 5-7-2011 by spacedonk because: (no reason given)

new topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join