It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solitary Confinement - A "cruel and unusual punishment" to make more people insane.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Recently I've seen a lot of documentaries on US prisons.
Actually it could also count for international prisons - I'm not sure on every country.

However, one awful thing is seeing people locked-up 23 hours a day.
This is what they call the "hole" for people who misbehave in prison.

I always thought "the hole" was long in disuse, and it was only a feature in historic films on Alcatraz, or Devil's Island.

Not so.
Some American prisons keep people there for months.

It seems the prisoners are screaming and going crazy.
Some say they start hearing voices.

Apparently its a safety zone for some inmates to protect themselves from other prisoners, and they willingly commit an infraction to go there.

But ultimately - it seems to drive a lot of inmates insane.

Some are put on psychiatric drugs, but not removed from the torture.
Is this human experimentation?

Is this not degrading, cruel and unusual punishment?
Especially if it goes on for months and months (even years) then this is neither punishment nor rehabilitation.
It appears like a deliberate attempt to make people insane and permanent inmates.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Prisons entirely are cruel and unusual.

There is no rehabilitation. Only pain and suffering then upon release an awkward frightening and futile period of pseudo freedom where the individual attempts to rejoin society but cannot thanks to the eternal stigma attached to him preventing him from finding work, friends or an education and eventually he returns to the prison.

This entire modern and civilized system is a massive cluster# that does no good for anyone.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Perhaps if punishment were CRUEL **AND** UNUSUAL we would have a lower crime rate. "Civilized" punishment isn't much of a deterrence. In fact, some ex-cons commit crimes just to be sent back into prison where they have a role, a structured routine, three meals a day, climate control, cable television, library access, recess in the play yard and possibly a college education. Heck, that's better than homeless veterans who've fought (and have been wounded) for their country get treated.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Interestingly, the history of solitary confinement has its roots in an attempt to be compassionate. It was primarily pushed by Quakers (who were also heavily involved in helping slaves escape, oppose every war, etc -- they really live up to their own ideals better than many religious groups) who thought that by giving prisoners time and space alone, they'd be healthier and better behaved. At the time, prisons were even more horrific places than now, with so much chaos and noise that the idea of time alone would have seemed like a relief rather than a punishment.

They now acknowledge it is used as punishment and even torture, and are against its use. Goes to show how even the best intentions can go astray, I guess.
edit on 26-4-2011 by sepermeru because: edit button is my best friend

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman

Is this not degrading, cruel and unusual punishment?
Especially if it goes on for months and months (even years) then this is neither punishment nor rehabilitation.
It appears like a deliberate attempt to make people insane and permanent inmates.

Its not right to do it to me. Because the system is corrupt already so how any feel they can make people live like this is ignorance. I'm saying yes there are evol people on EA but this treatment does no help, indeed it spawns insanity. And some can be locked in it for years on depending on their behavior. This is just one of many issues with the prison system it doesn't help in fact I have seen various people more less give up on society because they felt in prison there's food-shelter-water. Their minds are so institutionalized the prison seems the norm. Now how this can be a positive effect on society still I question. I think all prisoners should be forced to become educated and their time extended or parole based only on their rise in education level. This will force them to more less be able to fit back into society instead of them coming out and dealing with the hardships of a world that seemed to pass them by only causing them to give up. If done properly these adults can be parents intelligent parents for their children. And the education within them will shine out in communities the more education influences their decision making. Basically causing a positive ripple effect instead of dad or mom coming out and negatively influencing the kids the wrong way..... Its sad

Be Well

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
America isn't the only place with solitary. Just look at good old Charlie Bronson. He's spent the majority of his sentence over in Britain in solitary. All for fighting guards and inmates.

Granted America has a lot of issues with "solitary" but frankly the ones who end up there certainly deserve it. Murdering inmates, or trying to (or succeeding in) killing guards, etc. Then there are those that just WANT to get in there because they can't handle gen-pop.

American prisons are a joke period. Its a training ground for making more violent criminals. I've seen a documentary once about a guy who went in for a very minor thing (I think it was drug possession). Due to the "rules" of the block, the guy ended up being pretty much a sociopath killer because of things he "had" to do in there to survive.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Solitary is also used to control human animals who prey on weaker prisoners.....some people are alive now only because its against the law to kill them

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I see that solitary confinement as a specific punishment came from Jeremy Bentham's idea of the "panopticon"
This was the "separate" or "model prison", in which a controlling tower stood in the center of a hub.
Corporal punishment was reduced to a minimum, but prisoners were made to wear masks and have no human contact.
Essentially, as French theorists like Foucault pointed out - rapid physical punishment was replaced by lengthy mental anguish.
It took a while to take hold everywhere, but it's the model we have today.

I'm not so sure: I've seen older examples of Bentham's model prison applied in Port Arthur (Tasmania).
I also think physical punishment goes on today, it is just often enacted from the warden through the other prisoners.
So we have a central power in the Bentham mindset, and many capillary powers, all drawing money to the center - from gangs to religions and wars.

What I also worry about is that the mindset of the panopticon has spread from prison into society.
Especially in European and US posts it seems like bureaucratic madness is sometimes beyond all reason, and it expects people to respond back with madness in a submissive way.

It is almost like the encapsulation of the individual to a point where he/she cannot organize with other humans and thus cannot organize politically.
edit on 26-4-2011 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Solitary confinement does have a big impact on people because humans are very social animals.

I remember Joe Rogan said isnt it funny that one of the worst forms of punishment in prison is taking an inmate and keeping him from murderers, rapists, theifs and other criminals...

It just goes to show how much we need other people around us or we litterally go insane with loneliness.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Solitary confinement is blessing in many cases. The worst thing about prison is having to put up with the whinny punks who complain day in and day out and you just can't get away from them because guess what your locked up with them 24 hours a day 365 days a year. You think a nagging husband or wife is bad well you do get a break when you go to work or they do. Prison its in your ear 24/7.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
You may want to look into early american prisons (late 1700's-early 1800's) as they did a lot of "solitary" then, and not for punishment. Also limited communication outside of work details.

I never verified it, but I have heard that the more modern Japanese prison system is an isolation type system as well, with reports of people coming out in worse shape (mentally) than when they went in.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Myself personally, I would rather be in solitary than out in the general population getting raped everynight by a big black guy named Bubba. But thats just my opinion, I know there are some prisoners who dig butt sex and I say knock yourself out.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I spent two months in one of these rooms for a minor misdemeanor when someone decided to try and milk a $30,000 bail out of my family.

I was already suffering from auditory/visual hallucinations before going into the facility, but for some reason they felt it more "proper" to throw me in a 8x8 foot cell with padded rubber walls and little more than a drain on the floor and a stoop for sleeping than transfer me to the hospital for re-stabilization of medications.

It was hell. Absolute hell.

Sensory deprivation, no time out for any reason whatsoever, no human contact aside from meals being served silently through a slot in the door and very cynical and uninterested guards.

I would have sued, but upon receiving my records during my stay in that particular "institution", I noticed they had neglected to keep any record of my confinement in said room.

I'm not trying to sound alarmist, but I've been there....and it's a travesty that anyone, anywhere suffering from any sort of mental disability might have to go through said type of incarceration.

The room was reserved for "Violent Offenders", which makes sense were I not a docile and highly confused young woman at the time. I didn't fight and I didn't struggle or cause trouble. A particular female guard just "didn't like me".

Not to make a broad generalization on the System, but some people have no business having access to those types of decisions. Power corrupts, and a guard has more weight than a kid who can barely communicate or understand what is going on at the time.

Sorry for the venting, but I'm still suffering from some effects of what happened to me in there.

It's literally Room 101.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by GENERAL EYES

It absolutely makes me cry that people can do this to another human being.
But then of course, it simply is assumed by apologists for this horror that everybody in jail or prison is a murderer or rapist, or guilty of something.
Not so - any of us could be suffering this by some vendetta, mere dislike, or mistake tomorrow!

I think old prison movies are misleading.
They seem to say: "Then things were terrible back then; but now it is OK".
Nonsense, I think now is worse than ever.
If future generations make movies about our prisons, they will look back in shame.

And how does this brutalize the guards, the released inmates and society as a whole?
Does it have any benefit?

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman

And how does this brutalize the guards, the released inmates and society as a whole?
Does it have any benefit?

It's such a complicated issue.

First, you are correct that a lot of folks out there are under the impression that if someone is in jall, they darn well deserve it and there are no mistakes that happen in such cases.

A lot of folks don't pay attention to horror stories of this type because the claims seem too outlandish to be true, the previous assumption coloring the rest of the story before it's even been finished being told.

Not to mention those suffering from the after-effects of such types of incarceration "rehabilitation" may so severely shaken that they find it impossible to trust another person (such as a lawyer) or, as in my case, too spun by the event to be able to hold a memory of it intact and express it well enough to obtain the services of a qualified lawyer....who, even then, may not take up such a case because proving such is a very time consuming chore.

Like I mentioned, there were no records i my casefile about my time in the rooms known as VC-2 and VC-1, respectively.

None whatsoever. No mention of transfer from the womens ward, or reasons why.

I still get shaken up by what I endured that I haven't been able to pursue the case formally, and it's well beyond the Statue of Limitations at this point anyway....I can't help but wonder how many other voices have been silenced in a such a way - being so afraid to relive the trauma in court that they just "block it out" from the conscious mind.

As for the effects it may have on guards - I'm sure any Correctional Facility Officer with a heart and an awareness of what is really going on with abusive guards has his/her own political battle to contend with.

And on the counterpoint to all of this, speaking from direct experience - there are simply some people in the System to whom treatments of this type simply don't leave an impact. They're completely institutionalized and think of it as no more than a game...perhaps that's why they suffer no long-term effects (or any at all).

Not everyone reacts the same to sensory deprivation and such psychological traumas....and it's impossible to determine beforehand how well or how poorly anyone will react to said circumstances.

I wish such things didn't happen....and sad part is, until it happens to the wrong persons son/daughter/sister/husband etc...very few people will be aware of these types of rooms and these types of psyop techniques.

Even the memory of Abu Gharib didn't stick to long in the public consciousness....and sadly, there are more civilian prisons than Military Detainment Centers.

Sometimes I thank my lucky stars my father taught me some things as a youth regarding the horrors of P.O.W. camps and how soldiers are trained to stand up to such types of incarceration - because that's the solid foundation that kept me sane for as long as I could manage during my trials in that room.

When they started the microwave bombardment, I finally cracked....absolutely terrifying. Worse than the "drug therapy", worse than the hallucinations....maybe the microwaves were just symptomatic hallucinations themselves....I can't prove any of it.

A memory of the graffiti carved into the rubber walls is such a trivial detail it would never stand up in court.

Whoever designed these rooms and experiments knows a bit too much about what they are doing, imho.

I wish I had a solution that could help others, but at the same time there are those who would most likely use that knowledge to clog the system with a onslaught of false claims.

Tricky situation. Very tricky.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Well, we celebrate Freedom Day today in South Africa, and it's another holiday.
It celebrates the day of our first democratic elections for all in 1994.

It brutalized our nation very much, this inhumane system, and many political prisoners here were kept like that.
As a white South African I think it broke something inside us too.
Most of us didn't make that system, but I look at alcoholism, suicides, murder and family shootings.
That is a negative energy in any society.
Now, still SA society is violent and the police and prisons are violent.
One can never get rid of it.

This thing of torture and abuse and isolating people to madness.
It makes ripples in society.
This thing of working for a state that does this...what will your children ask one day?
It kills a part of us - and we can never get it back.

edit on 26-4-2011 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

Is this not degrading, cruel and unusual punishment? Especially if it goes on for months and months (even years) then this is neither punishment nor rehabilitation. It appears like a deliberate attempt to make people insane and permanent inmates.

When I was a young man, I served time in a State Reformatory. I once did 60 days in the "hole," a 10x10 cement cell, steel door with a slot that latched from the outside where they fed you twice a day, peas and carrots about rotten and a Dixie cup or warm, copper tasting water. A steel "bed," that is a piece of metal suspended by rods to sleep on. I got one Army blanket, wool, I could either have two layers down and one up, or two up and one down. I kept my sanity by building cars. I would, in my mindset, roll out 4 tires and mount them, they go from there. I built many cars, and some of those idea came out on the many cars I built and worked on in my professional career. That was two years, four months, and twenty eight days I can never have back.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Well, what do you recommend in its place? To me it sounds more just than being beaten up.

new topics

top topics

join