It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sikh double standard??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I'm not usually one to get into religious topics but this one is so blatant I had to put this up.. In January here in Michigan Sikh's rallied for religious freedom to carry there Kirpan (small sword) to school with them because it was a religious symbol and not a weapon,,,,,,

www.foxnews.com...

“It’s a religious symbol,” Sikh leader Teikiran Singh told WJBK-TV, disputing the notion that it was a weapon. Read more: www.foxnews.com...

Today we have a story off of AP about these religious symbols being used as weapons.....

www.google.com...

NEW YORK (AP) — A brawl involving cricket bats and small swords at a Sikh temple in New York City has led to riot and assault charges against seven people.

Not trying to pick on just that religion but just pointing out the obvious
edit on 26-4-2011 by ANOMALY502 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOMALY502

I worked with a sikh and did not realise he carried a Kirwan until I visited his temple. He then went on to explain the 4 K's associated with the religion. These things are daggers, not mini swords, so the report is wrong. It was either Kirwans used or some other swords. Also Cricket bats were used and they are not obliged to carry those around.

It is a peaceful religion in general, but they will fight if provoked and rightly so. They do not try to impose their religion on people and accept that people are free to chose whichever religion they want, without persecution.

edit on 26/4/11 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cobaltic1978
These things are daggers, not mini swords,
It is a peaceful religion in general, but they will fight if provoked and rightly so.

I have never heard of these Sick people before, but that is not relevant to the rest of my comment.

A stab wound does not care what the attacker calls his blade.
A 6 inch blade, that I call a noodle, will make the same cut as a 6 inch blade that I call a knife.
If they are so peaceful, then why do they carry blades at all?

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles

It is a peaceful religion in general, but they will fight if provoked and rightly so.

I have never heard of these Sick people before, but that is not relevant to the rest of my comment.

A 6 inch blade, that I call a noodle, will make the same cut as a 6 inch blade that I call a knife.

The knife (kirpan) is a symbol. It does not necessarily have to be a functioning knife. It's symbolic of the "saint/soldier" commitment of the religion.

I have a lot of time for Sikhs. A very interesting religion with a great deal of fascinating history behind it.

The sikhs took the striking miners and their families into their temples during the UK Miner's strike and fed them without seeking any return. A very peaceable religion. Dont mistake the knife as a symbol for them wanting to fight every five minutes...

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   

I appreciate what you are saying but the press should get it right if they claim it was Kirpans being used. That is what I was trying to get over. If they were used for this purpose, then they shoudn't have been.

There are millions of Sikhs living in the U.K and there have never been any attacks using these weapons to my knowledge. They are not sick people, far from it actually. It is a religious requirement and it is always carried in a sheath upon their person.

Note: I have just taken a look at the video relating to this incident and it was not Kirpans being used. I believe someone was carrying a small knifr in their hand and it looks like some larger type sword was being used. Also the dissident sikhs used a fire extiguisher and a microphone stand.
edit on 26/4/11 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
The Sikhs are sick

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by stellify

The knife (kirpan) is a symbol. It does not necessarily have to be a functioning knife. It's symbolic of the "saint/soldier" commitment of the religion.

yes i have a few indian friends whom explained to me why they carry it, they also pointed out how much they did for britain during ww2,im not saying that its right i even said to my friends you will cop flak for this some people wont listen its a knife to them...but if you check the facts in all sikhs fights its always between themselves and there own familys..

I have a lot of time for Sikhs. A very interesting religion with a great deal of fascinating history behind it.

The sikhs took the striking miners and their families into their temples during the UK Miner's strike and fed them without seeking any return. A very peaceable religion. Dont mistake the knife as a symbol for them wanting to fight every five minutes...

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Sikhs are pretty cool guys who doesn't afraid of anything

They're often successful businessmen and politicians, at least in my country. They're probably te most prominent immigrant community in Canadian politics besides/including the Chinese communities, and I don't know how anyone can fault them for being peaceful, democratic and law-abiding citizens. The individual should be punished for a crime, IF a crime occurs, not the community.

P.S. they have the best beards

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Any religion can carry any little sword to school as soon as they recognize the religious symbol of my religion is an AR15, problem solved for me!
Bottom line, if it is a weapon, it stays home, if you are adult enough to carry a weapon, quit school and go be with the big boys and work for a living.
Oh and most companies will not allow you to carry a weapon at work either....imagine that.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541

Any religion can carry any little sword to school as soon as they recognize the religious symbol of my religion is an AR15, problem solved for me!
Bottom line, if it is a weapon, it stays home, if you are adult enough to carry a weapon, quit school and go be with the big boys and work for a living.
Oh and most companies will not allow you to carry a weapon at work either....imagine that.

They won't be in a position to stop a sikh from carrying the Kirpan because of discrimination laws.

Have you tried registering your religion and see if you can get away with carrying an AR15 around with you? If not I suggest you try. Best of luck!!

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Some religions can carry weapons and do all manner of weird things, yet can a Rastafarian child carry a bong to school?
Here in South Africa we still have school uniforms and there are still pending cases where Rasta boys were suspended or expelled for having dreadlocks.
I think the world is full of double standards that still favor violence above all.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Cobaltic1978

Well maybe maybe not, the US stopped the Mormons from polygamy, and thats just lovin.
The Mormons faught the case and the US said in short, "Tell you what, you believe and practice what you want. The US Cavalry will march your !@#$% across the border to Mexico. there you can practice anything you want".
All of a sudden the Mormon higherups screamed, "Revalation! God says 1 wife per husband"!!
Why can they not stop children from carrying weapons?
We in the US have the right to believe all we want, we do not however have the right to practice the same.
I will say that i promote rights for everyone but, your rights end where mine begin.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
seeing as how a group of sikhs killed someone i know and injured another only two days ago i'm quite biased.
and it's not the first time this has happened. their children grow up to be gangster wannabes here in metro vancouver and carry knives.
they travel in packs and jump people in smaller numbers. they only care about their own.
its the biggest concern people here have, we dont want to get killed by a random group of indo-canadians.

i went to that highschool and i know what im talking about, i've been jumped myself. there is nothing we can do except defend ourselves when the time comes

www.ctvbc.ctv.ca...
edit on 26-4-2011 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
seeing as how a group of sikhs killed someone i know and injured another only two days ago i'm quite biased.
and it's not the first time this has happened. their children grow up to be gangster wannabes here in metro vancouver and carry knives.
they travel in packs and jump people in smaller numbers. they only care about their own.
its the biggest concern people here have, we dont want to get killed by a random group of indo-canadians.

i went to that highschool and i know what im talking about, i've been jumped myself. there is nothing we can do except defend ourselves when the time comes

www.ctvbc.ctv.ca...

Okay. There are several different religions in India and Sikhism is just one of them. It doesn't mention sikhs in the article, they could just as well have been Hindus, Christians or Muslims.

Please do some research on the Sikh relogion. Indo Canadians doesn't mean Sikh Indo Canadians.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker

www.ctvbc.ctv.ca...

Okay. There are several different religions in India and Sikhism is just one of them. It doesn't mention sikhs in the article, they could just as well have been Hindus, Christians or Muslims.

Please do some research on the Sikh relogion. Indo Canadians doesn't mean Sikh Indo Canadians.

please i know what i am talking about, dont make me out to be someone who doesnt know what i am saying or i wouldnt even bother. I grew up here
www.vancouversun.com...

indo canadian means sikh here. there are no other kinds, they were exiled from india

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

Im srry for what my people are doing over in Vancouver. I do understand there is a big Sikh population over in Vancouver and they've gotten cocky and they think they own the city, over here in NYC its different.

Well basically, you carry a kirpan if ur "baptized" i guess if thats what you want to call it. I dont carry it or even have one, my dad is baptized he has one, but doesnt carry it. Its optional from what ive seen.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Dinogur

people really are ignorant...

read this especially about 5 k's one of which is kirpan (small knife)
en.wikipedia.org...

As a "baptized" sikh you HAVE to carry the 5 k's any sikh who doesnt is NOT baptized...

new topics

top topics

join