It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where the Wild Places are... What are your choices

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
When we talk about survival often we skip Listing specific places to go...
So I figured we need a list of some of the best wild places where a real Survivalist can go... or someone like like me who just loves being out in those magnificent wild places...

So here's my pick... the Gila Wilderness...
Down in the southwestern corner of New Mexico... A place every big as large as Rode Island yet only 5,000 people live there year round... and those folks are pretty spread out... FYI Butch Cassidy and the SunDance Kid had a hideout here...once upon a time... also home to the Gila cliff dwellings, and some of the largest elk taken in North America...Plus it's a really cool place to visit

On June 3, 1924, at Aldo Leopold's insistence, Gila became the world's first designated Wilderness area (and also New Mexico's largest Wilderness). Today this is one of the best destinations for backpackers in America.
High mesas, rolling hills, and deep canyons distinguish the eastern portions, as do pinion and juniper woodland and a few grassland areas. Ponderosa pines blanket the central portion, with sheer cliffs outlining the Gila River. The west and southwest portions boast high mountains, particularly the Mogollon Range, with elevations up to 10,895 feet and steep canyons carved from the drainages of Turkey Creek and Mogollon Creek.

The three forks and the Gila River run year-round, with creeks, springs, and tanks serving as alternative water sources. Searching for hot springs is worthwhile, but don't dunk your head in the water if you find one--some of the springs contain a microorganism that can enter the brain and cause death.

An extensive trail system provides access to the Wilderness.

Winter temperatures are mild during the day at lower elevations, but they fall to well below freezing at night. The higher elevations are usually snowpacked Dec. - Feb. July and August suffer the hottest temperatures, along with frequent heavy rains that can produce flash floods.

Link for maps and more info

Sno Lake
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/af990264f398.jpg[/atsimg]
Cliff dwelling
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/38c9ea2d6c5a.jpg[/atsimg]
And of course the Gila River great trout fishing there
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c0975bf94705.jpg[/atsimg]
Lets not forget about the Elk I told you about
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c9bb2dee9d29.jpg[/atsimg]

well that's my pick... so tell me about yours!
edit on 26-4-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
My choices are a bit limited because i am on call so i can't stray too far.
I go to the gatineau forest in Quebec.
Its pretty large and has different terrains.

I wish I had pics as nice as yours but i don't so i will just add what i can and some info on the Gats.
www.canadascapital.gc.ca...
This is a debris shelter a fellow atser and myself did.
View from the back.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b3fe2c3ecd8f.jpg[/atsimg]
View from the front.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2bd3edc4d07a.jpg[/atsimg]

This is from the Madawasca river
www.ontariotrails.on.ca...

I stayed in the bush for a week and this is the bush I was in.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/876a5bac8e4c.jpg[/atsimg]

I seem to like the bush more then open spaces I am thinking.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

you and me bud... were going to have to go hiking some day...
that place looks cool

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Its alot of bushwacking and always watching for bears.

Your spot looks amazing.
I wish I had better pics of where i go because mine don't do it any justice.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Sorry, need to get the memory card from the old lady, but her, and I, and some friends go survival camping in the BWCA (Boundary Waters Canoe Area) twice a year. It's in the Superior National Forest in MN. I live in Duluth so it's pretty close, about a 3-31/2 hour journey to get there. No vehicles are allowed in the BWCA, and once you are there it looks almost overwhelming to be in. If you keep heading north you will cross the border into canada right into Quetico provincial park which is just a little bigger than the BWCA/Superior National Forest area so there is literally thousands of square miles up there to get lost in.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Well, I have lived all over the country and each place has it's own cool area's.

Since I live in Arizona now I will concentrate on that. You can basically disappear anywhere in the western half of the state and see little to no people ever. Same pretty much goes for the northern half.

There are desert wastelands to forested mountains and you can go anywhere between 70' above sea level
to 12,000' above sea level.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by gunshooter

Hi neighbor.. me too.. lots of places in there..
just need some serious mosquito netting for the summer, and good winter survival skills..
otherwise it would be almost impossible to starve there..
walleyes.. yum..

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Oh there are places in the Sierras I would go to in a heartbeat.

When I go out there on my next expedition I will be sure to bring a camera for documenting.

Frenchman's Lake
plumascounty.org...

Mount. Rose(not the ski area..Hate that place)

And anywhere in the high Sierras.

I also have a few spots about 100 miles east of Reno near the Naval bombing range high into the mountains that would be great if a bad situation was made worse.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Maybe I'm just odd, but I plan to head out to sea...

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by mwood

I love western AZ and your pictures bring back memories of when I was a kid...
we use to have a houseboat out at Lake Mead... we'd spend our winters out there...
splashing around in our skivvies while our friends back home froze their butts off!

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

My last active duty station was up in Bridgeport CA...
that's where the Marines have their Mountain warfare school...
god's country but your winters/Snowfalls can be pretty intense...
one year I was up there they recorded over 100 inches of snow on the ground,,,

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by SprocketUK
Maybe I'm just odd, but I plan to head out to sea...

you are absolutely nuts man, there is no way I would strand myself out at sea. you are giving yourself a huge disadvantage being out of your natural habitat. The sea would become your tomb. I would rather be stuck in an unforgiving tundra with little supply's than be stuck on a boat loaded with supply's. just my opinion though.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by gunshooter

Way I figure it is this...
Boats float, so I have a fighting chance of surviving tsunami, I can move with the food, can get plenty of fresh water, will have fewer zombies to fight and with the UK being so small, I figure the only good places will be full up.

If Thor Hyerdal (sp)? Can cross the pacific on a bunch of reeds, I reckon I'll be ok in 40 ft of fiberglass...

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Do you have a destination in mind or just stay adrift forever though? If a 50 foot tsunami hits your boat, your toast man. or should I say soggy toast. It just sounds too dangerous to risk, but good luck to you if you ever have to bail.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Cheers, mate.
I figured I'd head right out into the blue and wait for things to settle down then head back...if I don't like what I see I can just move on.

BTW I've read stories of boats surviving bigger waves than that, so I have a bit of faith...

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by SprocketUK

Just so you know I'm not laughing at your boat Idea... Esp if it's a sail boat... gives you lots of options
Plus I always said if I ever became homeless the best place I can think of to be homeless is the beach on the Island of Maui
edit on 27-4-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

That's cool, mate. I realise its a little different as far as ideas go, but a yacht (with sails) gives one an awful lot of options and if tshtf then I don't want to be anywhere near the starving masses...

I like the homeless plan, btw. Sounds idyllic.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
A boat is a good idea if you know how to sail. You would be ok as long as pirates don't get you...so if you go that route, I would suggest a lot of ammo and a few guns with repair kits along with plenty of deck space so your not tripping over your stuff in high seas.
You would be able to sail north for the summer and south for the winter, and be able to resupply from the sea for food and trade fish for veggies.
You also need to make sure that you have about 4 people on the boat(could be more or could be less depends on the size and who the other person is...IE what there skills are)...you need security 24/7 at sea and while docked....so you don't have all your stuff stole while gathering supplies or getting captured while sleeping.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

Stunning!

pictures

What are the plates like there?

edit to add: The Arks and various places that may have better teutonics and elevation are bases. And people won't like being near there. I'm thinking Colorado, Utah, The Arks: Arkansas and Ozark mountains. Even 4 corners. Even northern BC, such as Atlin has a large obelisk built now.

people.tribe.net...

Dont want to be near any bases.
edit on 27-4-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by saltdog

Yeah, I can sail, know my way round a sextant and plan to have enough hardware to put off the average pirate.

I don't see me and the family living afloat for ever, just long enough to find somewhere good to settle.
Hell, the more I think about it, the more I think about just upping sticks and going...if I could just persuade the Mrs and find room for the Harley...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join