It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do we live in Binary Star System?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+66 more 
posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Do we live in Binary Star System?

By: ATSecretAgent

I have seen a lot of speculative theory surrounding the impending 2012 doomsday scenarios and the coming of Nibiru/Planet X and the destruction it will rain down upon us and our Solar System.

Therefore, I am writing this piece in order to try and clarify the facts about;

Brown Dwarf stars.
The possibility of a companion star to our sun.
The possibility of a tenth planet.
How and IF this relates to Planet X/Nibiru and 2012 in any way.

In this article, I will drawn upon a lot of stated facts and information from already published papers which I will reference.

Brown Dwarf Stars.

Basic science tells us that the sun produces its light and heat by nuclear fusion of hydrogen into helium. This happens because large amounts of gas were compressed under enormous amounts of pressure, generating huge temperatures, eventually kick starting the sun into life.

Brown dwarf stars are essentially stars but they share the chemical make up of large gas giants. This is because during the brown dwarfs formation, there was not enough Stella material for the brown dwarf to become a regular star such as our sun. They key difference between a brown dwarf, low mass star (red dwarf) and a planet such as Jupiter, is mass. Although they often appear similar in size, brown dwarfs can have up to around 80-100 times the mass of Jupiter.

Red or Brown? A red dwarf is not the same as a Brown Dwarf. A red dwarf is formed when a star like the sun runs out of fuel. It contracts enormously under its own weight to form a Red Dwarf. Red dwarfs are very common throughout the galaxy and it's believed that Brown dwarfs are also just as common.

Are the Visible? Yes, and No. A brown dwarf is much like the dying embers of a fire. As they have no central heat source, they spend their entire lives cooling and turning more and more red. This makes them nearly impossible to see in the visible spectrum. For that reason, we need to turn to Infra-Red. The NASA mission WISE was tasked with scanning the entire sky in infra-red and it has just released preliminary data from the WISE survey. You can check out the results at the WISE website. Eventually, the data from WISE will reveal just how abundant Brown Dwarfs are.

At the moment we believe that brown dwarfs are as prevalent as Stars. Because Brown Dwarfs are so common, it is likely that the closest “star” to the sun is not Proxima Centauri but some hitherto undiscovered brown dwarf that will be images successfully for the first time by WISE. - wise.ssl.berkeley.edu...

Ned Wright, professor of astronomy and physics at UCLA and the principal investigator for the WISE mission, said that WISE will easily see an object with a mass a few times that of Jupiter and located 25000AU away. “this is because Jupiter is self-luminous like a brown dwarf” said Wright.
www.astrobio.net...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6a4a75a4d9a9.jpg[/atsimg]

Size comparison of our Sun, a low mass star, a brown dwarf, Jupiter, and Earth. Stars with less mass than the Sun are smaller and cooler, and hence much fainter in visible light. Brown dwarfs have less than eight percent of the mass of the Sun, which is not enough to sustain the fusion reaction that keeps the Sun hot. These cool orbs are nearly impossible to see in visible light, but stand out when viewed in infra-red. Their diameters are about the same as Jupiter's, but they can have up to 80 times more mass and are thought to have planetary systems of their own.
Image credit: NASA
Lifted from: www.astrobio.net...

The possibility of a companion star to our sun?

As a single star, our Sun is in a minority: more than half the stars in the sky have at least one companion in space. David Levy: Skywatching ISBN 0002200287 COLLINS

That quote comes from a book called Skywatching by David Levey, co-discover of the Shoe-maker Levey comet, published in the 90's. Since then we have gone too observe the number of Brown Dwarfs and and other stars increase throughout the galaxy.

Most systems with stars like our sun – so called class G stars – possess companions. Only a third are single-star systems like our solar system. www.space.com...

As is clearly stated, the number of stars with companion stars outnumber single star systems by almost 3:1. If we truly are a single star system then we are in a minority.

When one thinks of a binary or even a tertiary star system, you might think of Tatooine from Star Wars. It is clearly obvious that we do not have this kind of star system yet it is probably the most common type of star system. Known as eclipsing binaries, This is a system that is held so closely together that the companion stars orbit each other in days or even hours.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0bcafc225119.jpg[/atsimg]
Credit: CHRIS BUTLER / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
An eclipsing binary star system.

Other binary systems will be made up of stars locked in an embrace by gravity that only sees the two stars come close to each other once in a very long time. If we have a binary or companion star, it is most likely that it is type of binary system we reside in, with the companion star yet to be discovered.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a1b105e9e910.png[/atsimg]
astronomy.swin.edu.au...

How likely is this?

Good question. So far, there hasn't been any proof that one exists. The first mention of a companion star goes back to the idea of Nemesis. Proposed by the scientific community in 1984. Astronomers Whitemere and Jackson, and Davis, Hut and Miller hypothesised that a large unseen star dubbed Nemesis was around 1.5 light years away and occasionally passed through the Oort cloud, sending comets raining into the inner solar system. This was used to back up an idea by two palaeontologists that Earth had faced extinction level events every 26 million years. Independent attempts to verify this claim at the time proved fruitless.

This idea has been revisted however.

John Matese, Emeritus Professor of Physics and the University of Louisiana put forward a different idea.

the comets in the inner solar system seem to come from the same region of the Oort cloud, and Matese thinks the gravitational influence of a solar companion is disrupting that part of the cloud, scattering comets in it's wake. His calculations suggest Nemesis is between 3 to 5 times the mass of Jupiter, rather than the 13 Jupiter masses or greater that some scientists think is a necessary quality for a brown dwarf. Even at this smaller mass, however, many astronomers would still classify it as a low mass star rather than a planet, since the circumstances of birth for stars and planets differ. www.astrobio.net...

Still, other astronomers recently found that if nemesis did exist, it's orbit could not be nearly as stable as claimed. Now researchers point to evidence that our sun might have a different sort of companion. www.space.com...

This now leads me onto the next topic of this article.

The possibility of a Tenth Planet?

To avoid confusion with the Nemesis model, astrophysicists John Matese and Deniel Whitmire at the university of Louisiana at the Lafayette dub the conjectured object “Tyche”... a name proposed by scientists working on NASA's WISE space telescope. www.space.com...

Conjecture puts this possible planetary body around 30000 AU away from the sun. If it does it exist, it would be super cold at minus 100 degrees Fahrenheit which is why it has gone unnoticed for so long.

Strong evidence is supporting this theory with the discoverer of the dwarf planet Sedna noting that the planet has an unusually elongated orbit ranging between 76 and 975 AU. The orbit is estimated to last between 10.5 to 12 thousand years.
Sednas discover Mike Brown from Caltech, made his comments in an issue of Discover Magazine saying;

“Sedna shouldn't be there” said brown “ There's no way to put Sedna where it is. It never comes close enough to be affected by the sun, but never goes far enough away from the sun to be affected by other stars. www.astrobio.net...

The article does not make mention of any possibility of Nemesis or Tyche so it is not possible to get an idea of what Mike Brown's theory on the matter is.

However, This coupled with the evidence of comets arriving in the inner solar system from a particular point in the Oort cloud, it would suggest that there is something out there waiting to be discovered. What that something is is still up for debate. With the results from the WISE mission expected between 2012 and 2013, it is predicted with a strong chance of success that the WISE telescope will have finally solved this riddle once and for all.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4258fc7cc973.jpg[/atsimg]
Diagram showing the position of the Oort Cloud.
CREDIT: Southwest Research Institute

Finally, How and IF this relates to Planet X/Nibiru and 2012 in any way.

I have read much speculation about 2012 and the coming of planet Nibiru and the proposed doomsday scenario. I'm not going to list what materials I have seen as there is a vast number of materials on Youtube and the wider internet.

Instead, I will try to point out some facts about what would happen if this scenario was actually taking place.

First, the proposed idea that a brown dwarf with planets orbiting it (including Nibiru) are approaching the inner solar system.

Yes brown dwarfs can have planetary bodies but being that we are so close to the 2012 date, I imagine that this brown dwarf star would have been spotted by now. We would also have noticed it's effects on all the other planets, moons, satellites and as far as we can see, nothing has affected the normal ebb and flow of these objects within out solar system.

It can't be a dark star that doesn't emit light as all stars and planets, no matter how hot or cold emit light in the form of radiation, be it infra-red, ultra violet etc.

What about pole shift? Pole shift or flip has occurred in the past and will happen at some point in the future. It happens every 11 years on the sun. There is no reason, to my knowledge,why this would cause earth crust displacement. The biggest concern would be over satellites, GPS and other tech.

I will not make mention of prophecies from ancient cultures of the past as it is can not be proved or disproved conclusively or interpreted with 100 accuracy. These prophecies are speculative at best and while many may wish to consider them in depth, I am writing this paper from a purely scientific standpoint.

In Conclusion.

It is possible that our solar system has a brown dwarf or other low mass companion star or a 10th planet. Time will only tell. I have so far not been presented with any evidence that this extra solar body exists or that we are facing impending doom in 2012.

I have tried to present this article in a factual and scientific light.

Sources:
wise.ssl.berkeley.edu...
wise.ssl.berkeley.edu...
www.astrobio.net...
www.space.com...
en.wikipedia.org...
astronomy.swin.edu.au...
David Levy: Skywatching ISBN 0002200287 COLLINS

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Well formatted thread, i'm glad you just stuck to the science, the doomwishers won't like this much, but those of us inclined to critical thinking will surely be linking back to this thread constantly.

Well done sir!

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ATSecretAgent

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I was reading this canary and thinking there may be some new info or insight from it. Back into the coalmines...
edit on 26/4/11 by AdamsMurmur because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

Thanks indeed. I had linked several articles in other threads relating to 2012 stuff but wanted to put my thoughts down in one place so that everyone could digest the info.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Amazing job, man!
The thing that pisses me off with this subject is that we rarely hear the scientific facts, and so that leads people to absurdly extreme positions.

Yes, there is a possibility that our sun is part of a binary system.
Yes, such companion could have planets orbiting it. (although, personally I doubt it, but that is just because I don't see how such a system could become stable)
Yes, there could be a yet unknown planet/s with excentric and elongated orbits, and there masses could vary from a tiny almost dwarf-planet size to a big gas giant.
No, it's not about to crush us. It's not here, we would see it. Even if it was a very little cold planet, if it were to hit us next year it should be close already and we would observe it's influence on the rest of the system.

It's a very comfy middle ground.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Great thread.
When it comes to the binary stellar orbit theory most would tend to agree with you. If it was visible like most stars we would have spotted it by now. Because it has not been seen this must mean that we either don't have a companion star or it is not easily seen, like a brown dwarf star.

Here is an interesting site explaining binary stellar orbits.
www.binaryresearchinstitute.org...
This site goes into detail attempting to explain the motions we call precession of the equinox. I must admit that the old accepted explanation of solar/lunar tidal effects falls short in my opinion but I am not sure this does a better job. It's an alternative theory and I like alternatives.

The date 2012 and the planet Nibiru are not related as far as I can tell. The theory for a planet called Nibiru is Zacharia Sitchin's creation and anyone interested in this theory should read some of his books. I have read some of Sitchin's work and have found no mention of the date 12/21/2012 anywhere. This does not mean it isn't there, but I have my doubts.

The date 2012 is a Maya calendar thing and a very interesting topic in my opinion. As far as I can tell 2012 is a time indicated only in the Maya calendar and gets mixed up in other theories "after the fact" as it were. It's like the movie 2012. it has nothing what-so-ever to do with that date it just gets attention and helps 'sell' their product. BTW I would not recomend watching that movie, a waste of time in my opinion.

There is another theory on the Maya calendar that puts the end of the long count 148 years from 2012. I am unsure as to how the year 2012 was estimated but I assume astronomical events were compared with the times indicated in the calendar until a match was found putting the beginning at 3114 B.C. . However the Maya calendar, being based on astronomy, shows the end of the long count is at the end of the astrological age of Pisces and the beginning of Aquarius. Our current calendar (the Gregorian calendar) started at around the beginning of the age of Pisces with the year 1 A.D. (that's not actually how it happened but you get the idea). With an astrological age being 2160 years then the age of Aquarius isn't for another 148 years (+1 to date).

What about pole shift? Pole shift or flip has occurred in the past and will happen at some point in the future. It happens every 11 years on the sun.
Be careful here as the term "pole shift" has more than one meaning. The evidence you comment on has to due with a magnetic pole reversal.

The Sun does this every 11 years, in 2001 and again in 2012, and the Earth has done this in the past. As far as an axial tilt movement or global crust displacement there might be evidence of this but nothing has been proven yet. Much more work needs to be done here to claim for or against this theory.

In summary the date of 12/21/2012 is significant only to the Maya calendar. Almost all of the Maya historical records were systematically destroyed by the Spanish leaving very little to no evidence as to what they meant by this date. And there is the problem with the proposed ending time for the long count. If the long count is actually supposed to end at the beginning of the age of Aquarius, which I think it is, in another 149 years from now then this leaves 2012 with no significant meaning connected to any historical records that we know of.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Devino

Thanks for pointing that out. I'll try and be clearer when I'm talking about magnetic pole reversal in future. I have seen how this notion has been greatly confused with earth crust displacement.

Further to my OP, I have read another two articles related to Brown Dwarfs and the 10th planet theory.

1.) Coolest Brown Dwarf Found To Date. Interesting read about Brown Dwarf only hot enough to boil water.

2.) Earth sized world lurking in Outer Solar System This article pre-dates the one I listed in the OP (from space.com) but goes the realms of the Oort cloud containing many earth/mars sized lumps of rock.

edit on 26/4/2011 by ATSecretAgent because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
great thread buddy s & f for you

i dont agree with a lot of the 2012 stuff and the stuff about nibiru

2012 i feel is just fear mongering

and nibiru...i feel if we had another star orbiting the sun
1. we would have seen it by now
2. even if we did, if it was closer then 10 AU it would have been consumed by the sun already, if it had planets orbiting it then there orbits would be so eccentric that either the planets would join an orbit around the sun or they would just be ejected from the solar system entirely
3. why havent the orbits of the outer planets been effected, why hasnt the asteroid belt or the kupier belt been effected and why arent there comets and asteroid being hurdled our way

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I saw an Almost identicle thread about a month ago....

But.. G J P....(Great Job Pal)

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Ok let's get realistic here it's not a comet it's not Nibiru/Planet X it's not a second sun, brown dwarf or any of that crap but what it is , is even more terrifying than that because it just so happens to be the death star and by 2012 it'll be within firing range from our planet and we will be destroyed like alderaan

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Brown Dwarfs

ATSecretAgent Post

Conjecture puts this possible planetary body around 30000 AU away from the sun. If it does it exist, it would be super cold at minus 100 degrees Fahrenheit which is why it has gone unnoticed for so long.

No almost all brown Dwarfs found so far have temperatures between 500 and 600 K

As of early 2009, the coolest known brown dwarfs have estimated effective temperatures between 500 and 600 K, and have been assigned the spectral class T9. Three examples are the brown dwarfs CFBDS J005910.90-011401.3, ULAS J133553.45+113005.2, and ULAS J003402.77−005206.7.[8] The spectra of these objects display absorption around 1.55 micrometers.[8] Delorme et al. have suggested that this feature is due to absorption from ammonia and that this should be taken as indicating the T-Y transition, making these objects of type Y0.[8][9] However, the feature is difficult to distinguish from absorption by water and methane,[8] and other authors have stated that the assignment of class Y0 is premature

The Coldest Known Brown Dwarf discovered so far is known to be around 373K which is close to 100C

In March 2011, a binary star pair located 75 light-years from Earth was found by the ESO's Very Large Telescope, in Chile and the W.M. Keck Observatory in Hawaii. CFBDSIR 1458+10B, the smaller and cooler of the pair (both of which are about the size of the planet Jupiter), is suspected to have a temperature of only 373 K (around 100 C, or 212 F), and in addition to having the lowest temperature overall, CFBDSIR 1458+10 is also the coldest known binary star pair of any type.[13]

In my Thread i talk about the possibility of Life on Brown Dwarfs and Gas Giants you should check it out sometimes this relates somewhat to this thread; if our solar system does have a brown dwarf there is a possibility of life being on it please check this thread its related to this somewhat.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thx for the Thread ATSecretAgent.

edit on 27-4-2011 by XRaDiiX because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Devino

Great thread.
In summary the date of 12/21/2012 is significant only to the Maya calendar. Almost all of the Maya historical records were systematically destroyed by the Spanish leaving very little to no evidence as to what they meant by this date. And there is the problem with the proposed ending time for the long count. If the long count is actually supposed to end at the beginning of the age of Aquarius, which I think it is, in another 149 years from now then this leaves 2012 with no significant meaning connected to any historical records that we know of.

Yes great thread.
If indeed the spanish SYSTEMATICALLY destroyed all hitorical records, the that points imo to a sigularity.
So 2012 or whenever may have something to it after all

link   
www.rabbithole2.com...
-IRAS locating a "mysterious object" which closely resembles the qualities of a typical binary dwarf star

rabbithole2.com...
-additional information linking IRAS w/ other elements to make the case for a binary

Really, that whole site above is strictly making the case for a binary companion brown dwarf star. There is a lot MORE evidence supporting it really than against it in my scientific opinion. I don't want there to be a brown dwarf star. From the links above, it is fairly close and approaching Earth as well (least since the early 1980s).

I don't know any science backing Nibiru though. It's widely known that Sitchin took artistic license with his "interpretations" of his horrible mistranslations.

From that evidence, and from what scientists are saying about our own "main" sol (sun), there is a real threat of solar radiation. The brown dwarf pumps out TREMENDOUS radiation, and would most likely permeate our atmosphere at greater levels than current (with the added pressure of the main sun).

This is why I believe the governments of the world have built the D.U.M.B.s. Hundreds (thousands?) of feet of dirt with the added metallic/concrete shielding of the bases will protect the inhabitants and technology from the EMP and deadly rads. The existence of these bases is indisputable, along with the depth of many of them.

CNN just hosted an article talking about the killer EMP from just OUR MAIN SUN!
www.helium.com...

The bases' depth and shielding would probably prevent the above from occurring.

link   
ATSecretAgent Post

No almost all brown Dwarfs found so far have temperatures between 500 and 600 K

The Coldest Known Brown Dwarf discovered so far is known to be around 373K which is close to 100C

You're right about the coldest Brown Dwarf being 100 C, I actually linked the article in a post futher up. But, what I was talking about in the above quoted section is a Jupiter type planet with 4 times Jupiters mass. Not a Brown Dwarf. There is alot of debate about whether a Jupiter sized object 4 times heavier would be a brown dwarf or a gas planet, but as has been shown, both objects share the same chemical makeup. The only distinguishing feature between them is mass.

So if we do find anything out there, WISE should be able to determine if its a Brown Dwarf, a Ball of gas, or a lump of rock. (Not as easy in this case)

I will be sure to check out your thread.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Helious

Did you even watch that video? it was made in 2007 and says that we will see niburu during 2009 with the naked eye...

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by roughycannon

Most of the # that is being pumped out like that was originally disinfo. The movie "2012" is chock full of disinfo, and doesn't even include the binary star or "Nibiru." "Knowing" was another bs movie full of madness.

Most of the movies focus on "global warming" or "earth responsibility" to further the social/political issues. I can't even go and watch these movies anymore because they are such blatant propaganda.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by grandmarkai

All these films did, or tried to do, was bring in piles of box office cash. Inadvertently, they also helped fuel the masses of 2012 hype. I can think of one bit in the film 2012 (yes i have seen it) that use the whole Mayan prophecy as part of the story.

I imagine half those out there hadn't even heard of 2012 and the doomsday theories until they watched that film.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join