It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Think NASA and amateur astronomers wouldn't cover up doomsday eh?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Bro, you lost this one. That video was from MSNBC and nobody knew about it other than NASA until the day after. Suck it up, it happens. Look, you being wrong just means that you won't have to worry about death until it happens in the form of a huge fireball from space, your lucky dude, don't be so bitter about it!

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Helious

That video was from MSNBC and nobody knew about it other than NASA until the day after.

I love it how when the MSM is on a crackpot's side they are 100% right, but if they are opposite side of the argument then they are lying to us too....

The other poster clearly showed that amateur astronomers were/and are keeping tabs. There are lots of resources out there for you to do the same thing, but given that you don't like, (as you say) "research", than of course, you can just stick to what is in the news and make that your reality.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Helious

Now you are looking rather foolish.

Not only did people know, but amateurs helped track this rock. I posted a link.

For those missed it here is the link
Surprise Asteroid Buzzed Earth Monday

This link shows that Helios is a close minded liar. You've been shown the evidence. You have shut your mind to the evidence and instead continue to spout lies. This is beyond a mistake now. You are a liar and that is who you are.

So here is the quote from the article - again!

But on Monday observers using backyard telescopes were able to track the asteroid speeding through the constellation Virgo for at least a few hours after the object's closest approach.

According to Spahr, amateur astronomers contributed to the center's monitoring efforts by sending in measurements, which are helping to refine calculations of the asteroid's orbit.

The question is why was the measurement of this asteroid's position of such interest? Why would TPTB inform amateur astronomers and ask for their assistance?

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

It's quite interesting when the MSM shows what a poor job they do at covering issues. Here is a case in point where it is always good to double check what is reported. I suppose that the vague comments about "we", whomever that refers to, was used to cover up how unclear the reporters were about the issue.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious - people knew that the rock was headed our way.

The reason so much attention was paid to observing the path of the rock is that it is believed headed our way again in 2067. The better the path is known now, the better the forecast for that distant year.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I think your right. You just have to watch any apocolyptic Hollywood movie and for some reason all the directors confirm this too.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Yeah, they knew it was coming two days before it passed, a handful of astronomers anyway. The public on the other hand was told after it had actual passed. Makes ya wonder.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Helious

Yeah, they knew it was coming two days before it passed, a handful of astronomers anyway. The public on the other hand was told after it had actual passed. Makes ya wonder.

Under the circumstances, which would you prefer: a false positive or a false negative?

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001
reply to post by Helious

Under the circumstances, which would you prefer: a false positive or a false negative?

Meh, I don't know really, provocative of them to hand this over to the media the next day though, it gets people thinking, perhaps irrationally when a report is done like on MSNBC.
edit on 15-5-2011 by Helious because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
it makes sense to alert the public if they were certain a comet/asteroid was set on a collision course with planet earth..the main goal would be to ascertain where it would be likely to hit, then make provisions to get as many people to safety as possible . if it was a global killer type scenario again people would be warned and marshal law would come into affect,maybe fema would play a roll as well ..again the main goal would be to save as many people as possible to rebuild society ...how they would determine who to save i could only guess..it would be impossible to hide an incoming collision, but not impossible for a collision not to be detected

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by sitchin
it makes sense to alert the public if they were certain a comet/asteroid was set on a collision course with planet earth..the main goal would be to ascertain where it would be likely to hit, then make provisions to get as many people to safety as possible . if it was a global killer type scenario again people would be warned and marshal law would come into affect,maybe fema would play a roll as well ..again the main goal would be to save as many people as possible to rebuild society ...how they would determine who to save i could only guess..it would be impossible to hide an incoming collision, but not impossible for a collision not to be detected

I agree that it makes sense to alert the public, then again, I am the public. The question is, does it make sense too NASA and government to alert the public. Declaring marshal law takes alot of time and resources that could be used to help keep those that they deemed were to survive safe.

I highly doubt that the number 1 issue of the government in this scenario would be to save as many people as possible. It sounds great but, for me, seems like a perfect world ideal and we sadly do not live in a perfect world. That is my opinion at least.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by sitchin

The whole subject of this thread would be an excellent premise for an episode of "The Twilight Zone." A group of men in white lab coats sit around a table chain smoking.

"Are you 100% positive that asteroid 221B is going to hit the Earth?"
"I've run the calculation through the electronic brain three times. The asteroid is almost certain to hit Earth."
"We should notify the authorities."
"Why? What could they do?"
"Maybe the Air Force could shoot it down."
"Impossible; even an Atlas rocket couldn't reach the asteroid in time."
"At least the President could warn the people--"
"But what if the calculations were wrong? You said you were 'almost certain.'"

By the end of the episode, they would all be in violent disagreement over what to do. One scientist who picks up the phone to call the President is bludgeoned by another with a slide rule. They are completely deadlocked and eye each other anxiously as the camera pans up, up into the starry sky... where the asteroid tumbles mercilessly and inexorably towards the Earth.

Submitted for your consideration... in "The Twilight Zone."

edit on 15-5-2011 by DJW001 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
all i'm saying if our governments know ,they would by law have to make this public, if it was a threat to human life..Now they do have a get out clause if they say it was not detected...But i really can't think of any reason for them to hide the fact ...western countries spend billions on aid to help earthquake/famine/flood torn cities/ countries, governments are elected by the people to protect them ,they have a legal duty to inform us of any types of dangers foreign or domestic..Governments are not evil,no matter what you think there hidden agenda's are.we have a very caring society in place and the general public have never had it so good ,thats all down to governments,creating laws to help the public in their everyday lives.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

LOL! Great post, your probably right, it really is thought provoking, there is alot to consider.... Morality, duty, family and friends, I mean, it probably literally would be the toughest decision every single person in that room would have ever faced in the history of mankind.

Of course, they have already done it twice already and both have been highly entertaining. Deep impact and Armageddon.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by sitchin

Hey, I see where your coming from, no doubt bud. You did say though "by law". Like I said though, perfect world scenario there, law doesn't mean much when your talking about doomsday. Hell, by law, you can't issue a kill order on an American citizen without that person committing a crime yet our government has. By law, you can't start a war against another nation without the consent of congress yet, our government has. A doomsday scenario would in effect, void any rule of law in the governments eyes, as it pertains to the masses (the ones who wouldn't make it).

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Helious

Meh, I don't know really, provocative of them to hand this over to the media the next day though, it gets people thinking, perhaps irrationally when a report is done like on MSNBC.

That's a falsehood. This information was available and dispensed to the public. Just because one news outlet found out about this issue in an untimely manner shows how poorly some issues are covered by the MSM.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
The rock in question in the video was known early on to not be on a collision course with Earth. The Earth gets hit by fireballs several thousand times a day. Large rocks hit every year. A number of observatories do nothing but find NEOs, near Earth objects. As fast as this rock was going it is amazing that something that small was detected more than a day out. Technological improvements over the next decade should make great improvements on the ability to detect smaller objects further out.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by stereologist
reply to post by Helious

That's a falsehood. This information was available and dispensed to the public. Just because one news outlet found out about this issue in an untimely manner shows how poorly some issues are covered by the MSM.

Exactly. If you're relying on MSM outlets to let you know which asteroids out there are potential hazards, especially asteroids that were just discovered... you're looking in the wrong place.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Helious

Woah woah wee woah.. I thought Niburu Planet X whatever you want to call it was supposed to take thousands of years to see between orbits.. How could it show up in 03 and then again now in 2011? I also notice he said the summerians predicted this and they were a little off.. by 2 weeks he said.. does anyone know where he got this info from are there more future predictions?
edit on 16-5-2011 by mb2591 because: typo

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by stereologist
reply to post by Helious

Now you are looking rather foolish.

Not only did people know, but amateurs helped track this rock. I posted a link.

For those missed it here is the link
Surprise Asteroid Buzzed Earth Monday

This link shows that Helios is a close minded liar. You've been shown the evidence. You have shut your mind to the evidence and instead continue to spout lies. This is beyond a mistake now. You are a liar and that is who you are.

So here is the quote from the article - again!

But on Monday observers using backyard telescopes were able to track the asteroid speeding through the constellation Virgo for at least a few hours after the object's closest approach.

According to Spahr, amateur astronomers contributed to the center's monitoring efforts by sending in measurements, which are helping to refine calculations of the asteroid's orbit.

The question is why was the measurement of this asteroid's position of such interest? Why would TPTB inform amateur astronomers and ask for their assistance?

Actually you are looking rather foolish seeing as you didnt even bother to watch the video .. It says this happened in 2003 and was twice the size of jupiter.. but your referencing something that passed in 2009 and was very small.. next time watch the video?

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join