It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Manhunt Video Game Blamed For Brutal Murder : Updated

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 09:50 AM
link   
As I said in another thread regarding this,

Whatever happened to there being a distinction between a game and reality! And he's 17, he should know better. Games are no excuse.

I believe this holds true-

"Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid!!! Movies, books, T.V., music - they're all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!" -JTHM

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Oh no! I played ManHunt, I guess I'm going to go on a bloody rampage!!!

I saw the picture of the kid, he doesn't look right in the head to begin with. To act out a violent scene from a game/movie is psychotic and says an awful lot about the persons state of mind before and after they saw it, and very little to nothing about the game/movie.

As Springer said games don't kill people, people kill people...

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 10:32 AM
link   
See now if we werent so hung up on Sex and so easy going about Violence. The kid might have been sitting around playing strip poker or watching Janet Jackson parade around naked rather than swinging hammers.

- Was

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wassabi
or watching Janet Jackson parade around naked rather than swinging hammers.

- Was

Actually I tihnk that would probably have resulted in the same outcome...

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Following this story, stores are beginning to pull the controversial game Manhunt off the shelves.

Manhunt pulled from shelves as media goes wild
29 July 2004 by Samantha Loveday
GAMES retailers have reacted swiftly to claims made in the national press this morning that Manhunt is to blame for the murder of a schoolboy - pulling the PS2 game from shelves.

Manhunt Pulled from UK Shelves
July 29, 2004 - Once again, a Rockstar title is at the center of a flurry of controversy. Various news sources reported today that UK electronics retailer Dixons has pulled Manhunt from shelves in response to the game's alleged influence in a recent killing.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Link to Screenshots of Manhunt
Screenshots

[edit on 7/29/04 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 04:16 PM
link   
How can anyone blame a game for him killing a kid its the most stupid thing I've heard of. Games and films are always the first thing in most case's to get the balme. Not there parents or bad upbringing I would aslo think at 17 he does have a mind of his own and knew what he was doing kids and teenagers seem to get worse as the generations go on.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
Manhunt pulled from shelves as media goes wild

I guess some traditions are more persistent than others.

21 and Aaron shall lay both his hands upon the head of the live goat, and confess over him all the iniquities of the children of Israel, and all their transgressions in all their sins, putting them upon the head of the goat, and shall send him away by the hand of a fit man into the wilderness:
22 and the goat shall bear upon him all their iniquities unto a land not inhabited: and he shall let go the goat in the wilderness.

Only time will tell if this episode will prove good or ba-a-a-ad for the makers of Manhunt.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I was just playing a marathon session of pong so I'm going out with my street gang to smack around anything square shaped.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Yah of course, Dixons trying to get their name in the news, trying to look good in the eyes of all the ignorant hysterical parents.
Now I will never ever buy anything @ dixons ever again.
What a bunch of morons.

God

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 08:46 PM
link   
This makes me feel like going out and purchasing 100's of copies of the game and giving them away to every kid I see. (with parental consent of course:lol

I can MAYBE see blaming the game for this if it was a 5 year old that commited the murder. At 17, though you gotta be wacked to beat someone to death with a freakin' hammer.

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I think that's the point... he's gotta be whacked in the head. And so shouldn't have had the game in the first place, the game or anything else with such graphic depictions of violence. It goes back to the parents maybe needing to pay more attention to his emotional situation and to the young man himself. If I'm faced with a child who shows a certain "fascination" with something harmful, I'm going to find out why and also make sure I don't feed into it. If the kid's got mental problems, you don't hand him stuff to feed that fire. Although it's not the game's "fault", the imagery and power involved in it was a contributing factor. For THIS kid. For THIS crime. Not everybody's going to react the same way, obviously.

I think at some point in life, everyone has seen or heard something that stays with them. Affects them. Becomes embedded in their minds. I've seen a few horrible things that are still with me, and they were isolated incidents. Having it pumped into the mind steadily, especially a broken mind, will result in a problem like this. I'm curious about his history, if he's seen counselors before or been institutionalized at any point. If the parents even knew he had problems or wrote it off to regular teen moodiness. Did he hide it or did they ignore it or what? Was he a discipline problem in school? I hope they'll give out some of this information so other people can benefit from it. The tragedy for both the killer's and victim's parents can at least serve as further education for other parents out there.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join