It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Manhunt Video Game Blamed For Brutal Murder : Updated

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 09:37 PM
link   
17 year old Warren LeBlanc pleaded guilty to brutally murdering a 14 year old friend using a claw hammer. The victims parents claim the murderer was obsessed with the Manhunt video game ""described by its promoters as a sado-masochistic game in which players gain extra points depending on the viciousness of their killings.""

news.scotsman.com
Pressure was growing today for a bloodthirsty video game to be banned after it was blamed for the horrific murder of a 14-year-old boy by an older friend.

Warren Leblanc faces life behind bars for repeatedly battering Stefan Pakeerah with a claw hammer and stabbing him to death after luring him to a local park. The 17-year-old pleaded guilty to murder at Leicester Crown Court yesterday.

Outside the court, Stefans parents said Leblanc, of Braunstone Frith, Leicester, had mimicked a game called Manhunt in which the players score points for violent killings.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This game was banned by New Zealand, and some have raised the idea that this game would lead to "copy cat" killings. Who's to blame?, the gamemakers?, the parents? society? What's your take on this murder?

Stores are now taking the game off the shelf.........

Related news stories:
Manhunt Pulled from UK Shelves
Manhunt pulled from shelves as media goes wild
Stores withdraw computer game linked to boy's killing

Screenshots of Manhunt:
Manhunt

[edit on 7/29/04 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Parents are to blame for letting their kids play it when they are not right inthe head.

And Ocelot beat you too this article, check BTS.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Oops, forgot to check down there, thanks for the heads up.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 02:45 AM
link   
this game has a mature rating on it.

this means
MATURE
Titles rated M - Mature have content that may be suitable for persons ages 17 and older. Titles in this category may contain mature sexual themes, more intense violence and/or strong language.

So how did this game escape the parents notice?
and
If NOW the parents are saying "oh this bad game made our son do it"
why didnt they confiscate this game when it came into the home and they observed it?

Parents are responsible for which games their kids play, not the games themselves, nor those that make, distribute or rate the games either.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 02:49 AM
link   
heres a thought..blame the kid...14 year olds ,claw hammers? omg...thats the problem with this country..blame someone, never yourself though. the kid has issues, not the game...and noone said what the other kid did to get killed with a hammer....he must have done somethin to tick him off...

[edit on 29-7-2004 by sublime4372]

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 02:54 AM
link   
What ever happened to individual responsability? Why did the parents allow this type of material in thier homes. I believe that it is possible for a child to simply be a bad seed, more often than not, bad parenting is the culprit. However, given the amount of lawyers this country has, better to blame someone else and sue that accept personal responsability

God

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 03:37 AM
link   
As some of you have said already....

If a child (I'm saying 'child' here because the two involved were under 18) is sick enough to murder another child because they played a 'violent' video game, then there was something wrong with that child BEFORE that.

If it wasn't the video game, then it would have been a movie, or a TV show or a song....or a music video...etc.. the list goes on and on.

Where WERE the parents at? The video game is only 'wrong' after something happens... not when they're at the toy shop (or whatever) purchasing the game for their children.

I have various younger cousins and neices/nephews that play 'violent' video games, however they are able to distinguish REAL from MAKE BELIEVE.

I am willing to bet this murder had absolutely NOTHING to do with the video game.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 07:41 AM
link   
i personally own manhunt and find it to be a realy awesome game. does this mean i'm gona go out and kill inocent people? f@#$ no! because i know its just a game. plus i also don't believe in killing incocent people. obviously the kid wasn't all that right in the head and in all likliness he would have ended up killing somebody regardless if he played the game or not. society has been violent long before we had entertainment. the rest of us shouldn't be penalised just because one kid had some serious issues.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Has anyone notice that kids are worse and worse every passing day? When did it become alright to act stupid and not be punished. If you look at the simplist social group, say dogs, a puppy is taught consequence through discomfort. When my dog has puppies and they get a little overboard with something, momma "whups" em good. Rest asured they eventually learn boundries. Without the act of something unpleasant why would anyone care what they did? I am not saying that if someones 8 year old kid should be beat down like an attacking man when the kid messes up but call me old school, when I messed up I got some licks coming my way. Even though society now says that violence begets violence, I am not dead or in prison and my mom "whupped " me quite a bit for the bad stuff I did. I promise you this, if the world follows the UK with no corporal punishment for your own kids, we will all need weapons to go to the store.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 08:05 AM
link   
It wasn't the psychotic kid with a claw hammer, it was the GAME! Yes the GAME committed murder! Ban the GAME!

Following this theory out to its absurd conclusion, and considering how many millions upon millions or copies of this game and others like it are currently in circulation, I suppose we can expect the human race to become extinct about 6 years ago.

A sad story, but blaming severe mental illness and violent behavior on a video game is nothing more than a way of ensuring no one actually learns anything from this tragedy.

I have to wonder what kind of parents this kid has. Sadly, I think I already have a pretty good idea.

Tragic all around.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 08:11 AM
link   
The Game has an 18 rated age, the killer was 17, the parents should have never brought the game or allowed him to play it. Don't blame the game, blame the parents.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Everyone else has said what I feel about this. It's not the game, it's the messed in the head kid and his crappy parents. I'm so sick of hearing "omg the game made him do it!" No, the game doesn't make anyone do anything, it's idiotic people who pull stunts like this. Man this gets me heated

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Games don't kill people. People kill people.

m...

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I work in a toyshop where I sell this game as well, and really, kids of all ages play this game. There is no stopping this, since not all parents have the same rules for their kids/check their kids frequently.

If parents succeed in preventing their kids from buying games like this, these kids will just get curious and go to friends to play it.
As for shops being responsible, all it takes for a young kid to play games like this, is a big brother that likes these games as well.

I personally think people that kill others because of a videogame would have killed someone anyways, with or without the videogame, inspired by whatever they want.

Not that I like such games.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I agree totally with 1pitbull above. There is nothing wrong with corporal punishment. When I was younger and in school, if I got in a fight or got into trouble, I got a paddling from the principal. No the principal wasnt the bad guy. We all knew him and all respected him and the decision to paddle us. We didnt necessarily enjoy it but we understood why we were getting it. On top of that when I got home I knew that as soon as my dad arrived from work, I would have another session waiting for me. Now this may sound familiar to some of you, and harsh to others. But to this day I never steal anything, I never intentionally do harm to others, and I respect those who have come before me. One is because I am older and more mature than I was then, but also for the fact that I believe that if I dont, my dad will come walking through the door with a belt in his hand.
Kids today have too many distractions and parents use television and video games as a replacement for spending time with their kids, when they have other things they want to do. Its time parents get back to whoopin their kids, you have too many kids these days acting like they are grown long before they even look grown. I guarantee if parents started doing their jobs, you would see less kids on drugs, less kids getting pregnant, and more kids graduating from school.
Just my $1.50 on the subject.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Spare the whip...spoil the child...Im not the old myself (24)...but if I did something wrong...I got smacked...nothing wrong with that...its been said a billion times already...but parents are to blame...not some game...

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I think this goes beyond corporal punishment. If you're mentally unstable a spanking won't stop you from killing someone. And I can't even imagine blaming the murder victim for "doing something to tick him off" as that is simply absurd. I doubt the 14 year old did anything to deserve being killed especially in that manner. Here's the problem as I see it time and time again....

1) I've seen parents get a movie and sit the kids down in front of it and they themselves never watch one minute of it. Don't even know what happens in it. Their kids watch shows and they can't even tell me the names of the shows, much less what they're about.

2) They buy records and games and don't take even a minute to listen. Forget listening, they don't even look up the song lyrics on the internet or seek out any information about the game. Never even play it. They have no idea what is in it. And if they do refuse the game, just as it's already been said, the kid goes to a friend's house and plays it. Parents don't talk with each other about what their rules are before sleepovers, ect. This is not out of line or intrusive! It is your right to make sure what your child is doing at someone else's house, and if it goes against what you allow them to do, then you can decline the invitation on your child's behalf. It's a parent's right. It doesn't make you uncool or a prude or anything else. Besides, parents shouldn't be worried about whether they're seen as cool or not. They need to worry about being parents.

Too many nowadays seem to want to be the kid's friend instead of authority figure. It's not going to work. The primary function is to safeguard, train and educate the child, readying him/her for the adult world. Not to be the coolest mom or dad on the block. I've seen some seriously snotty brats out there who have "really cool parents" who let them do anything they want. That's a problem.

This kid had something wrong with him before the game. The game probably just enhanced it, especially if he was spending every waking moment playing it, becoming immersed in it, fantasizing about it. I know adults who play the NFL and other sports games so much when they first get them that they joke about dreaming the stuff, it gets so embedded in their brain. If he has some kind of mental problem, life in prison won't help him, he'll need to be remanded to some kind of medical facility. If he's not mentally unbalanced and just a ruthless killer, he needs to go.

Added as a matter of info/interest... a review of the game:
www.vgcity.com...

[edit on 29-7-2004 by torque]

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by sublime4372
heres a thought..blame the kid...14 year olds ,claw hammers? omg...thats the problem with this country..blame someone, never yourself though. the kid has issues, not the game...and noone said what the other kid did to get killed with a hammer....he must have done somethin to tick him off...

[edit on 29-7-2004 by sublime4372]

Agreed, too much effort made to pass the buck in cases like these, kids running riot with no fear of consequences has created a generation of sociopaths with little or no morals. If it's the case I'm thinking of the other kid did very little to tick him off other than the fact he existed and was seen as an easy target.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 09:39 AM
link   
It's all very subjective.
If the kid would have played carmageddon before splattering 5 people with a car, Carmageddon would have done it.

If the kid would have played tetris for 5 years, before smashing in peoples heads with tetris-shaped bricks, tetris would have done it.
Or, erm something like that.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 09:41 AM
link   
This reeks of the old accusations against D&D

I'm sorry, but if you whack someone with a hammer, you're likely nuts to begin with...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join