It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survivalism can be a fun family activity!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
When we say Survival most people assume were talking about doom and gloom... but it doesn't have to be that way...

Simple Survival skills are in reality normal everyday outdoor activities, hunting fishing camping hiking something I've been doing since I was a kid and still do as a grandfather....

I loved taking my kids on nature walks when they were little, now I have my granddaughter to share those experiences with, though at 3yo's I carry her more than she walks, but it's all good.

On our walks I take a field guild where we stop to identify each plat, the tasty eatable ones we take home to have with supper. even that precocious little 3 year old knows to say, "Ewww grandpa, not the wild onions!" but she loves to suck the nectar from a honeysuckle!

My youngest son, now 17 has this game he likes to play with his old man.... Who can tie the knot the fastest.
Arbor Knot, Clinch Knot, Palomar Knot, Spade-End Knots and dozens more... our fingers fly as we twist and wind... "Time... I beat you dad I beat you again!!!!" I don't care if I lost, I'm just happy for the game, the time spent and the lessons learned.

My so called adult daughter has other interests... I kid you not when I say if she applied herself and took it more seriously, she could become an Olympic long range target shooter...
I've been taking her and her brothers out to the range since they were little. My baby girl loves to shoot. even the range safety officers will pause to watch her practice perfect breath control, slight picture and alignment, trigger control and sure enough time and time again she place dime sized groups with her 243 Win Thompson Icon Precision Hunter... Let me tell you, watching my daughter shoot will make a less accomplished marksmen feel inadequate

My oldest is still living on the New Mexico Colorado border... He works part time for a Mountain Rescue unit up there. when he was little I would take him up into those high alpine meadows looking for trophy sized elk, taking nothing but a fanny pack we'd park the truck and hike in a good ten miles before cutting a few limbs to hang our tarp over, sleeping on ground sometimes we make five mile long circles around camp, tracking trailing, learning the lay of the land, what our pray was eating where they liked to bed down for the night. but I'll never forget the wonder in his eyes when we discovered a small waterfall 8,000 feet up in the San Juan mountains, glistening silver droplets in the morning sun... there are moments in life that can take your breath away and I was glad he was there to share it.

As a family we've been on countless camping trips. Swimming in our undies, cooking over an open fire. Fresh caught fish or maybe barbecued squirrel... Yes we'd tell ghost stories, trying to scare each other... went to sleep at dusk and got up with the sun... those were great times, family times, times when we were all together, without the cell phones or video games...

No it doesn't sound like "Survival Training" but it was...

last night the power went out Same storm that's shut down AK and parts of MO.... my daughter sighed... "Better get out the coleman lamps!" I fired up the grill out back. A perfect excuse to break out the last of my Moose stakes... with grilled potatoes to go with ...My wife made a salad from our early garden veggies...Sitting out on the back deck watching the rain my family was altogether again, for a short while... we washed up the plates and tableware in a rain bucket then settled in to reminisce about bygone days... lessons learned young are lessons that will stay with you throughout your life and those lessons can be so very pleasurable!

Nope Survival doesn't have to be all doom and gloom... sometimes it's an excuse to have the best time with those you love.

Well that's my tale... now your turn... tell us about your favorite Survival activity
edit on 26-4-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

I love your recent string of threads DaddyBare!

My family and I started this last summer, and we are continuing it this spring. Evening jaunts, or weekend hikes, trips, camping, or making crafts that double as candles and firestarters, etc. Canning. Gardening. Cleaning fish. Identifying edible plants and bugs and wildlife.

My kids are only 3 and 4, so we have to keep it pretty simple, but if we keep this up, they will be Eagle Scout material by 10!

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
My children love the water as we live close to the shores of Puget sound. We Kayak and watch the eagles and salmon together. They hav also learned much about how to exisist from the land if need be. My younger ones don't always get the point of the story but enjoy the time we bond together. I have learned many of things from my parents and their parents. I struggle with finding more time to share with them as I find myself getting caught up in "daily" issues.

It is true that we are all connected to this planet. This is somthing that many people neglect to impress upon their children. Love your Mother and she will love you back.

Peace and love.

P.S. The nesting bald eagles 100 yards from my window are back and amazing to watch.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
S+F for you. I enjoy camping, and a lot of the same items you use for camping can also be used for basic survival in your backyard if need be. I have tried to convince my closest friends that we should do some camping next month, but they aren't into sleeping in the forest. "Ew, there might be bugs..." etc.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by redzareptile

Love your story too...
sadly no eagles at my place...
but lately we've had a Turkey hen coming round to share in the chickens scratch... my granddaughter has already named her so I guess that ones not for eating???

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I have have come to learn I no longer have the energy to keep up with more than one 3 or 4 year old...
"Grandpa... come over here... lookie" "No grandpa come over here and see what I got!" "Grandpa, carry me, my feet hurt!" And if you pick up one you gotta pick up all of them....

Don't worry about making little Eagle Scouts... just be glad for the time you have together... trust me... they grow up a lot faster than you think....

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Oh ya, I can't believe how quickly they grow up. My 4 year old has started picking out words that he recognizes on signs and mail, and he is almost reading! He can use the On Demand to find his favorate cartoons (my wife can't even do that, so he had to learn). My 3 year old just hit a growth spurt, and now I have a hard time telling them apart if they aren't looking right at me, or talking.

I'm gonna share everything I can with them, but I have a feeling they will be teaching me things before very long!

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by LS650

So here's what you say... Yeah there might be bugs... but there will also be good food a good friend and a time to get away from it all... and if your nice to me maybe I'll bring along a bottle of dandelion wine

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Last week me and three daughters did a 2-night camping trip out on some undeveloped land owned by a family member. It was an adventure and learning experience. One daughter is keen on camping but for the rest of us it has been quite a while (although I've done a fair amount of hiking off and on for years my last real primitive camping was in the national guard some 25 or so years ago).We were a bit disorganized but did practice building shelters (no tents but we had tarps), built a hammock of rope & vines, hauled creek water, and cooked a variety of freeze-dried foods, MREs, and canned foods. Didn't get to do any fire-building because of burn bans. :-(

Despite their cellphone / computer withdrawal and the poison ivy the girls enjoyed it and want to do it some more.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by AhsoVaniva

Wonderful, great, inspiring...
By the way you do know what MREs stand for right???
Meals Rejected by Everyone.... that's military humor for ya

still the real precious moments are not bent over a pouch of food but just being together with family...

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Never got the chance to meet my Grandpa. I heard stories that he would take my brothers up camping and in the outdoor just have a good time. I missed that chance but there is always time to practice.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Awesome thread thanks OP, STAR AND FLAG!
I do the same with my kids and grandson who is only a little over one, they love to learn about everything like little sponges soaking up knowledge lol. You sound a lot like me sir I'm going to search for the other threads of yours and enjoy. Thanks and please keep up the great work.
www.survivalmadeeasy.com...
www.ehow.com...
ezinearticles.com...

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Most awesome story, even the smallest of skills can go a long way.
Many many years back, the wife and i had just had our first child and were in our own place so i stepped up that christmas and we had our family breakfast and package exchange at our new home.
It was my turn to do the adult thing as my folks, aunts, uncle's and grandfolks had done previously.
Needless to say i was like a bride on her wedding day, i'm a guy but it's how you feel when you step up and do adult things.
Anyway, we start breakfast and due to the excess electrical use and bad electric in the house we fried a few breakers.
Now back then nobody was open on xmas day except a Thrifty (A drug storesimilar to Walgreens).
Nothing in the house was gas except for the water and heater, so the griddle went down as well as the range and oven.
The family starts to talk about migratng to someone elses house to do some cooking Etc.
I pop into the garage for a few minutes grab some Coleman gear and throw the cast iron into the fireplace.
We cooked on the camp range and did some in the fireplace.
Good food was had by all and we still refer to it as our "Walton's" christmas.
Looking back it was one of my favorites even with the potential personal disaster it could have been.
And i think back when the only 2 in the family that had cell phones were my dad and my uncle, those were huge bag phones so we had to entertain ourselves with analog games

We still had fun.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by LS650

AAAAAH my bestest buddie in the whole wide world married one of those.
We used to go camping at a moments notice literally.
Me: Hey what ya got going for the next couple days, any work?
Buddy: Nope.
Me: Let's go then.
Buddy: yep.
And off we went.
She needs a certain bed and clean hair before bed and upon waking....
AAAAAH i want my buddy back!!

But she has done him much more good than harm so, i'll keep her i guess.

Just wish we could convert her.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Star and a flag for this post.

There is a new generation of people who have prepared. They can live for quite a while with what they have around. They can hunt for game, garden for veggies and do lots of things that most people can no longer imagine.

People used to live off the land. They've forgotten how. Make it a game and keep it fun and you prepare your family just in case they face a true catastrophe. If that catastrophe never happens, that's great. Think of all the fun times you've had with your family. If the catastrophe does happen, you and your family have a much better chance of survival.
edit on 26-4-2011 by Wildbob77 because: bad spelling

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

In my case spending X-Mass with my in-laws required some real Survival Skills!!!
But with the help of some spiked eggnog I managed okay...

My kinds can tell you of a time when I spent four years cooking only on those old Coleman camp stoves... three meals a day 7 days a week... Lets just say where we were had some primitive base housing... so whenever I break out my old camping stuff it's a blast from the past.... and someone always starts a story by saying, "Hey dad... remember when..."

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by FarBeyondDriven69

Well thank you sir, very kind words
but remember the title of my post... Survival doesn't have to be all doom and gloom...
we've had some great times together and more to come I'm sure

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildbob77

Oh how right you are ...
I remember another year..and yet another rolling blackout... living in an apartment complex in a big city...

While our neighbours panicked we (My Family) set up tables in the parking lot and had us a nice big neighbourhood cook out... Now that was fun and a great way to learn who lived next door....more than one person said to me..."Dave... Love your food but please ...no more singing..."

Survival means knowing what to do when all other's run around yelling the ski is falling the sky is falling

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Great thread . When my kids were growing up they helped in the garden and took them on walks / camping in the jungle. Showed them all the edible and medicinal plants, where to get water, and all the different animals. Had a game where we would sit and identify the animals by the sounds they made. My kids all grown now waiting for my grandson to get old enough to start teaching when they visit

new topics

top topics

join