It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Save SETI.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Hello, everyone.

I haven't posted in quite a while, but I read some disturbing news this morning. It appears that the Allen Array has been put into hibernation as SETI no longer has the funds to continue it's operation.

They say they need five million dollars to run the array for two years.

I figured one way to help them was to get involved with facebook and start a campaign over there, and I knew the best place to come to ask for help with this would be ATS.

Head on over to: SETI and make a donation, and then post to facebook to spread the word.

I am sure ATS knows why this is important. I do not want to let this happen. Let's save SETI.

"A single message from space will show that it is possible to live through technological adolescence. . . . It is possible that the future of human civilization depends on the receipt of interstellar messages."

- Carl Sagan, 'The Quest for Extraterrestrial Intelligence.' Smithsonian magazine, May 1978

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
this is a bit of a bugger..maybe seti have already made contact and no longer need funding...sorry joke..but maybe some truth

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by davesmart

It would be nice, wouldn't it? Regardless, SETI needs to stay operational. And we need to help them.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Why do you want to save the Allen Array? Do you really think ET is using radio signals?

Not trying to say this in a negative way, but the money could be better spent exploring other means of communication.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Definitely going to donate. We cannot let SETI go down.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
It's a sad day when something as exciting as looking for life in the universe is seriously having to consider shuttering its doors. Science takes another hit to the jaw.
They got my money.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
This is a sad ,sad day. I dont have much, but I"m willing to donate to keep things operational.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Im a fan of SETI but i dont think the 50 i have in the bank is gona get them back online......
But i do hope a wealthy philanthropist does hear about this and helps out.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   
I wish they would stop messing with the program!
I thought they let othere companes use the bots?
no one belives in Seti any more.
well most of the people.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Forget SETI, pointless..

Like going back to the Moon, pointless

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Sorry Seti, the country is broke.

We can go back to looking for 'aliens' when the state of affairs improves.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   
I like SETI just as much as the next SETI fan but what has it really done?

I am all for finding ET but do you really think that if they ever found anything they would even be allowed to share it with everyone else?

If SETI ever did find anything we would not hear about it. It would be kept hush hush and the govt would go in and take everything!

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
I remember (i think) Stan Friedman debating someone from SETI. The people from seti were almost rude and condescending.

Almost as if he was mocking Ufology.

And I don't think that even if Seti did receive any type of real signal it would release it to the general public.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
We can talk conspiracies and cover ups all day long. The fact of the matter is that if we do not keep open the possibilities of looking we will not find anything. Do other civilizations transmit in radio signals? I am not sure. Why would it be so outlandish to think that some might? We do.

Either way, I am all for other ways of looking for life. I am also for SETI. It's just one way of doing it. Without it, we are one possibility short.

new topics

top topics

join