It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Saddam on his death bed?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Apparently according to his lawyers, Saddam Hussein has suffered a stroke while in US custody. They are afraid he may not live long enough to face trial.

News.com.au
One of Saddam Hussein's legal team has claimed the former Iraqi dictator has suffered a stroke and could die before his trial.

Jordanian lawyer Mohammed al-Rashdan, one of an international team of lawyers preparing to defend Saddam, told The Mirror newspaper in England that a brain scan had indicated the stroke.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Does it matter if the man dies of natural causes before facing trial? The Interrim Iraqi government has reinstitued the death penalty, and he will most likely face it anyway.

[edit on 29-7-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Could he be following the delay tactics of Slobadan Milosevic, he has health problems also, "guilty conscience?"

[edit on 7/28/04 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 09:18 PM
link   
maybe its a side effect of american torture

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Hey Jack, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it was a stall tactic. But I don't know. If I had nothing better to do all day then write poetry I might have a stroke too.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Here is another article about it:

Saddam Hussein suffers a 'stroke'

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Imagine that eh? Who'd ah thunk it?

Well I suppose I got close with "suspected heart attack or the like", but it looks like psycosrus might take the prize as the only one to mention a stroke.

Predictions: Saddam won't make it to trial

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Considering the impact Saddam made on TV last time, basically owning the entire courtroom, refusing to be defeated, energizing Iraqi resistance, do you think they'd allow him back on TV? No way.

d1k

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by junior_smith

Probably is. Good to know hes getting a taste of his own medicine.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by d1k

Originally posted by junior_smith

Probably is. Good to know hes getting a taste of his own medicine.

So instead of getting rid of the torture and rape rooms in Iraq we're just installing our own? Great...

d1k

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by taibunsuu
So instead of getting rid of the torture and rape rooms in Iraq we're just installing our own? Great...

We are? That's not good...

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by phreak_of_nature
Does it matter if the man dies of natural causes before facing trial? The Interrim Iraqi government has reinstitued the death penalty, and he will most likely face it anyway.

[edit on 7/28/2004 by phreak_of_nature]

I don't know, killing him might be pushing the boundaries of diplomatic relations, especially with the British, and considering it was an illegal invasion to begin with.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 10:54 PM
link   
If they have a trial and it's televised, and Saddam speaks, won't he say how the US assisted them in fighting Iran, gassing the Kurds, and giving the green light to attack Kuwait? (Through Iraq ambassador April Galispie.)

There's no way this guy can be allowed to speak.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Personally, I think Saddam is a murderer and tyrant of the highest order. His death will not cause me to lose a wink of sleep.

However, what will cause me some concern is if it turns out that we are violating Geneva Conventions by not allowing his attorneys/doctors access to him while, perhaps, we are hastening his death. From what I've seen so far, it's not exactly a stretch to envision this.

If it turns out we are doing this, then we are just as guilty of murder as he is. This administration has ruthlessly shoved it's agenda down the throats of the rest of the world, with arrogant disregard to the instability it has caused. Like brainless bullies we invaded/occupied a country to satisfy the personal agenda of a Bible-Thumping, arrogant moron who isn't smart enough to fight his way out of a paper bag. Cowboy George isn't one to entertain dialogue; he hasn't the patience or brains for it. Instead, he'd rather solve it at the OK Corral.

As much as I despise Saddam Hussein, I have to concede he made a few valid points when he questioned the legitimacy of the system that was putting him on trial. Our invasion of Iraq was no more justified than when Iraq invaded Kuwait back in the early 90's. And, therefore, an interim government setup by forces that illegally occupied the country, has no legitimacy.

I love America, but the facts can't be denied. Especially when it's so blatant. What I'm seeing these days is not the America I grew up in and learned to love and respect. What I'm seeing is an America that no longer respects the freedoms we once held so dear; an America that no longer goes to war only as a last resort, but rather goes to war at it's whim; An America that no longer deserves, or even desires, the respect and admiration of the rest of the world; an America that flagrantly abuses it's power for self-serving purposes; and finally, an America who's foundations are rapidly erroding, who's time-honored values are falling to the wayside, and who's in danger of self-destructing and crumbling into a has-been superpower.

It's amazing how we've allowed a divisive, self-serving, arrogant thug lead us into a potential Viet Nam in the sand.

So, as much as I dislike Saddam and consider him an enemy, the enemy I fear the most is the one within. I'll be glad when this era has passed ...

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Why do you consider Saddam an enemy? He never threatened the US. Besides that, the US helped him fight Iran from 80 - 88 and oh yeah Saddam was put into place by the CIA. Hussein has done nothing to the US as far as I can tell. He was invaded because he started pricing his oil on the Euro instead of the dollar. He'll never see a public trial because he has tons of crap on the US that he'd state in his defense.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by taibunsuu
He'll never see a public trial because he has tons of crap on the US that he'd state in his defense.

Exactly.

Put him on trial now so the world can see both sides of the 'story'.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 02:42 AM
link   
this makes me wonder why we took him alive to begin with. didnt anyone think of the damage he could do if allowed to speak? or maybe there wasnt alot he could say that nobody didnt allready know, and he is really a bad guy and bush did truely have good intentions in removing him..i dont know about this one. i think we'll have to wait and see how it pans out

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by sublime4372
this makes me wonder why we took him alive to begin with. didnt anyone think of the damage he could do if allowed to speak? or maybe there wasnt alot he could say that nobody didnt allready know, and he is really a bad guy and bush did truely have good intentions in removing him..i dont know about this one. i think we'll have to wait and see how it pans out

I think they thought he'd go out meak and humble so the US would be vindicated for invasion during his trial. But if you watched his appearance when they held the arraignment it was obvious he wasn't going to go out like a wimp.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 03:13 AM
link   
taibunsuu, good question. I didn't mean "enemy" in terms of an enemy to the USA. Or even a threat to the USA, for that matter. I know we've been in bed with him in the past. I should have used another term. I think of him as having some of the worst qualities a human can possess. He''s a totally self-serving, brutal tyrant who uses deadly force as a means to an end. I think his mentality is on the level of the Godfather, and he's a muderous sociopath. To that end, I consider him a scourge to Mankind and think he represents everything a "civilized" person should strive not to be.

So, to that end, I'm not overly concerned with his demise. What I'm concerned about is our own leaders becoming just like him; that's what worries me the most. I think we're viewed as the biggest terrorist nation of all by much of the rest of the world right now. And I can understand why ...

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Yeah he is all that, but every government in Iraq Saddam or not is going to have to use pretty heavy violence as a means to an end. The country's ethnic groups and their tribes almost guarantee violence unless they are dealth with violently. The US and the government over there have to use violence to keep the country together as we speak.

What I fear the US will end up doing is install a dictator whose atrocities are on the scale of Saddam, but we say he's an OK guy, just as we turn a blind eye to the actions of the Saudis, of Pakistan, of Indonesia...

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Here's what makes me suspicious. In less than 24 hours we went from repeated reports of Saddam "gardening and writing poetry" to "he's on his death bed!"

In order for this all to occur, he either had to have fallen over in the middle of the night in mid-verse of one of his "ode's to torture"...or fell face down in his rose garden first thing yesterday morning...

something doesn't smell like roses here.

[edit on 7-29-2004 by Valhall]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join