It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Enormous statue of powerful Pharaoh Unearthed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   

CAIRO – Archaeologists unearthed one of the largest statues found to date of a powerful ancient Egyptian pharaoh at his mortuary temple in the southern city of Luxor, the country's antiquities authority announced Tuesday.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e26bd51594ca.jpg[/atsimg]

The 13 meter (42 foot) tall statue of Amenhotep III was one of a pair that flanked the northern entrance to the grand funerary temple on the west bank of the Nile that is currently the focus of a major excavation. The statue consists of seven large quartzite blocks and still lacks a head and was actually first discovered in the 1928 and then rehidden, according to the press release from the country's antiquities authority. Archaeologists expect to find its twin in the next digging season.

Archaeologists working on the temple over the past few years have issued a flood of announcements about new discoveries of statues. The 3,400-year-old temple is one of the largest on the west bank of the Nile in Luxor, where the powerful pharaohs of Egypt's New Kingdom

Source: news.yahoo.com...

How lucky are thises people. What a job. I want it. Man, if I could do things over again..

Anyway, Keep digging fellas. Someday, you just might tap on a large Metal Spacecraft. Time will tell.

edit on 4/26/2011 by anon72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I would have been more interested if it were a powerful statue of a common pharoah!

No, seriously, I am always intrigued when they find something new regarding Egypt or its pharoahs. Awesome

Oh, yeah, the comment about the large metal craft. . .sometimes I say "Wouldn't that be awesome?" Then, I realize that many discoveries have been made that challenge conventional thinking with regards to human history, and they are snuffed as incorrect data or jus too fantastical to believe.

What do you think? I mean, we still have Columbus Day, but not a Nordic Travellers Day? Oghams and Hebrew writing discovered in America. . . .Roman coins, Egyptian artifacts and etc.

Wild concepts that some just won't accept.
edit on 26-4-2011 by Divine Strake because: the top most pyramids are too damned high!

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
This is just fantastic! I can't wait to hear what they find next!

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
That's amazing. But it makes me wonder why it was rehidden? I know Amenhotep iii was the father to Akhenaten(the pharoh who changed their religon to monotheism). He in is his own right a strange fellow, and many conspiracies surround him. He was the first in Egypt to perform head-binding. Said to be the father of Tutankamen, but others say a step-child or son-in-law. The mystery might actually be unravelled as they find more artifacts. Can't wait!

Maybe his statue will give some vital information and fill in the gaps.

edit on 26-4-2011 by greenfox83 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by greenfox83

I come to think about the Egyptian mystery as a big puzzel. Pieces all over the area.

I just hope we can find enough to get the best grip on there coming of age.

When will the end of findings be? Never-most likely.

That's what makes it so fun to be into!!!

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by greenfox83
That's amazing. But it makes me wonder why it was rehidden?

That's the first thing I wanted to know. I guess some Egyptologist thought it was best to leave it buried for future generations to rediscover. Unless of course this is a common practice that the general public isn't aware of. [Hiding stuff] Makes one wonder what else is possibly squirreled away that may conflict with the given theories and or time-line of ancient Egypt.

He was the first in Egypt to perform head-binding.

I'm aware of him and his supposed son Tutankhamen both having elongated heads. But I've never heard the "The head Binding" angle. I know it went on, But I believe it was a genetic trait IMO.

Said to be the father of Tutankamen, but others say a step-child or son-in-law. The mystery might actually be unravelled as they find more artifacts. Can't wait!

I think more will come to light once they find Tutankhamen's mother or Akhenaten wife's [nefertiti] body and do some extensive DNA work.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
That's what I love about the topic.

The whole world can be affected by one discovery there in the sands.

What will it be? A Star-Gate perhaps? Now wouldn't that change our world?

Who's going first?

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
This family continues to enthrall and hypnotise me, I hope they find more, and I have to wonder why this statue was reburied in the 20s

Despite everyone's best efforts in the past, they have become the very symbol of ancient Egypt itself.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by VelvetSplash
This family continues to enthrall and hypnotise me, I hope they find more, and I have to wonder why this statue was reburied in the 20s

from the op's post it says' from the country's antiquities authority' no conspiracy

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
oooh that guy eh?

Amen

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
brilliant...FURTHER PROOF OF SOVEREIGNTY LYING IN UPPER EGYPT....EVEN AKHENATENS FAMILY LINE, ROOTS ITSELF IN NUBIAN LAND.... THAT MEANS THE HUTTITE RULERS OF THE NEW KINGDOM WERE EGYPTIAN NOT FOREIGNERS....

nubians/thinnites rule...beautiful.....

to add... this must mean that akhenaten DOES have a tomb.........i dismissed he had a tomb as i always believed he was considered not just a blasphemer but a foreigner......seeing that he IS from "the great house" then he would definatly of had a tomb...i think abydos needs to excavated properly.....

i cant wait to go...

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
VEry cool.

What I found very interesting too was that they also uncovered a large statue of the god, Thoth, as a baboon. He by far is the most intriguing of the Egyptian gods IMO...

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by PhotonEffect

He by far is the most intriguing of the Egyptian gods IMO...

May I ask why you think this?

Just asking.... Noob-never heard of before.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
NEWS FLASH:

if you dont already know....IT IS ZAHI HAWASS THAT HAS REXCAVATED THIS SPOT.....MAYBE HE IS P`D OFF WITH TPTB....he is showing all relics that show that the true pharaohs were the A-group (northern nubians), that means ANY CLAIM OF JEWS AND FOREIGNERS WAS A LIE....JEWS DIDNT EXIST THEN...THEY WERE PREISTS...WHO BECAME COVENANT...AND THEY WERE ALSO BLACK

Originally posted by SLAYER69
Originally posted by greenfox83

I'm aware of him and his supposed son Tutankhamen both having elongated heads. But I've never heard the "The head Binding" angle. I know it went on, But I believe it was a genetic trait IMO.

you know i have seen kurdish people who have had their head binded when they were children....they told me it is a tradition and put it down to simply a hairstyle aid...but i knew it was to mimick the shemsu-noor...or anuu-naki,,annu means helipolis (pillar).....they were sungods on earth, divine rulers...who the kurdish and certain jewsih sects believe in....ALL CAME FROM EGYPT AND MAINLY FROM AMENHOTEP LINEAGE....tuthmosis, 1,2.3 etc... in kurdistan they all pay homage to the eagle...nekhen...or ra-horakhty or horus.....

the pharaoh is truly the divine ruler on earth...now where is he??

edit on 27-4-2011 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by anon72

i hate thoth...lol...

to me thoth only filled a void in egyptian history....he was ultimatly the god of wisdom and truth...which was important because he could dictate to the people who was truly ruler...seth or horus...at a time he was put as the most influential god on earth...but the cults of ptah, atum-ra, khnum and amun all had a creation myth that outranks thoth.....geb the earth god was the decider on who rules he chose horus...the son of the son of the sun.....

the baboon was said to be the reincarnted ba of ancestors.....and helped the cycle of rebirth...as they were thought to help lift the sun in the morning due to the screeching and arm waving

other gods that intrigue me are...osiris, sokar and ptah....as individuals.
ptah was the main god for the unifaction 1,2,3 and 4th dynasties...in memphis. only to be outranked by the helipolis atum-re cult, sokar is shrouded in mystery...looks like osiris and ptah and horus....but had a sharper nose...an eagle headed corpsed figure...god of the underworld.

now osiris...my favourite
osiris is the one god that most definatly would of had a tomb..maybe a symbolic one....all pharaohs claim to be related to his "great house" (real meaning of the word pharaoh)....he is the most exciting figure...he was the founder of the ressurection and virgin birth myths in christianity....deep

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by thePharaoh

You have an interesting view on the topic.
I'm not saying I agree or disagree just saying it's different. Do you have any links to provide us on this angle? I'd like to read more on this perspective.
Thanks for your reply.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by thePharaoh

You have an interesting view on the topic.
I'm not saying I agree or disagree just saying it's different. Do you have any links to provide us on this angle? I'd like to read more on this perspective.
Thanks for your reply.

its all in the blood
lol....

no links but i`l leave you with a thought...ever wondered what happened to the pharaohs??....cleopatra, who sold egypt out to the roman republic was not a pharaoh...she wasnt from the great house, wasnt upper egyptian like all the gods were...ie osiris wears the atef crown of upper egypt (abydos league).

but she aided the birth of the roman empire....and the birth of the emperors....though the a-groups lineage and divine right to rule outranks the emperors.....so where are they??

egypt fell, the roman republic fell...and the roman empire started...to note cleopatra was mugged off, as ceaser promised her that there child would be emperor....instead he made his adopted son octavious/augustus emperor....all started by an unrecognised pharaoh...unrecognised by the upper egyptians (south)...she never left alexandria....which is closer to rome than thebes

what would happen to world law if the pharaoh rose today...all our law comes from the roman empire....deep innit. think about it....if you had a pharaoh, their would of been no roman empire, maybe even no modern christianity, maybe even judeasim... all would come under and be property of the pharaoh...as he was the divine represenative on earth....deeeeeep

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by anon72

Thoth is said to mean Thought and TIme

He's considered one of the main deities of the Egyptian Pantheon and one of the oldest.

The Egyptians credited him as the author of all works of science, religion, philosophy, and magic. The Greeks further declared him the inventor of astronomy, astrology, the science of numbers, mathematics, geometry, land surveying, medicine, botany, theology, civilized government, the alphabet, reading, writing, and oratory. They further claimed he was the true author of every work of every branch of knowledge, human and divine.

Just some of the things that make this god intriguing.

If you're interested to learn more about him, I'd recommend starting HERE

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   

I am interested. Thank you for the tip in.

I love Egypt stuff but really just a noob in the area. I hate names also..... Faces I am great at but names... ugh.

Thank you. You the Man (or woman etc). Star

new topics

top topics

join