It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Child Denied First Communion Because of His Cerebral Palsy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   

“It hurts and I think it’s a form of discrimination.”

That’s how Irma Castro, grandmother of 8-year-old Kevin, describes the actions of one Catholic priest in Floresville, TX. That priest denied Kevin his first communion because, he says, Kevin has cerebral palsy and thus the mental capacity of a 6-month-old.

“He said because he was not able to understand the meaning of receiving the body of Christ,” Castro told KSAT-TV.

Indeed, canon law requires that a child receiving holy communion have “sufficient knowledge” of Christ, but it doesn’t define what level of knowledge is considered sufficient.

Under this same rule, can a two-month old baby receive Holy Communion if he points to a crucifix when somebody says, "Where's Jesus?"

Please discuss. Should or should not the afflicted child receive the Eucharist?

Thank you!
SeraphNB

PS: you can view the article at www.theblaze.com...

edit on 26-4-2011 by seraphnb because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by seraphnb

This is an intriguing article because i have a cousin who has CP. Its not to the point where it effects his mental capacity but he does have speech issues and memory loss. He also has been on crutches all his life. However, he was baptized, communed and confirmed catholic throughout his Sunday school days in Central Pennsylvania. So im assuming this rule is strictly under the discretion of the priest?

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Then the priest suggested that he come back to the rectory to receive the lord in a special way that only the priest can provide.

...yes I'm a recovering Catholic... they are so sensitive and loving aren't they?

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
It could be this boy has a better understanding of Jesus Christ than the priest.
edit on 26-4-2011 by angel119 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
hundreds of years ago this same church would have had that boy burned at the stake or tortured till death for his condition.

Just sayin...

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   

So I'm wondering if his family took it as "Oh um no, handicapped individuals aren't allowed in heaven" I mean come on, what else could this mean? How can this priests personal opinion mix in and divert the moral fundamentals of the Catholic church and it's teachings? That's what I got out of it anyways.

Be love.

TWBU

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
i was born and raised catholic so i wasnt allowed to make my first communion until i was in the 2nd grade

and i had to go through CCD classes which are pretty much the same thing as sunday school.

i know 2 people with cerebral palsy, one who is a 5th degree black belt and makes knives for a living and constructed his own crutches to be deadly weapons, full mental capactiy as any other normal person while the other comes swimming at the pool that i lifeguard and hes 52, cant read, talks slow and slurs his words, ive taught him how to swim without even getting in the water, he can still drive his truck, he told his doctor to go eff herself for telling him iRenew was gonna help him walk better. hes no idiot, but he has the worst case of CP ive seen.

maybe its just the age hes at, he cant understand it. churches are really strict on stupid things. i cant even have my best friend be the actual godfather of my child because he hasnt been confirmed. hes just a "christian witness" its a real pain the arse

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
More from the article:

Deacon Pat Rodgers, with the Archdiocese of San Antonio, said oftentimes the decision lies with the pastor. “It’s never our desire, hope or wish to withhold a sacrament from someone who wants or needs it,” Rodgers said.

Here is the last bit of the article:

Father Henning said he offered Castro an alternative to the first communion. He offered them the sacrament of the anointing of the sick. “That is the anointing they give you before death. That was very offensive,” Castro said.

I would be offended as well.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
And yet it's funny that in all this they never question the false promise of organized religion. They feel beaten-down but can't seem to put their finger on the true cause of it. Maybe they should question their own lame choices....

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
That priest needs to be hung in the central town square for this. WHO ARE YOU to tell someone they can't do something because of their disability??

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by seraphnb
Please discuss. Should or should not the afflicted child receive the Eucharist?

I think the child is ALREADY guarded from such ignorance either way. But he should not be denied due to some exterior observation from a non judge who feels he isnt receptive to GOD. But I dont makes the rules in these systems.

edit on 4/26/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

This comment is silly. It is perfectly reasonable for requirements to be met before things are allowed. Based on your statement, if this person can't drive when old enough due to this disease the DMV person who says no should be strong up?

Communion is not a right, it is acceptable for a church to require a test to be past before offering it. If one can not pass the test, that is well within the Church's rights.

join