It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SETI Institute suspends search for aliens

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

This makes me sad in a way, for this IMHO would have been very good proof of the existence of ET's if and when SETI managed to find something.

But now it is finished.

Errr whilst The Allen Array has been put into hibernation............ SETI HASN'T been put into hibernation.

"The SETI Institute sought private funds for the 1HT and in 2001 Paul Allen (co-founder of Microsoft) agreed to fund the technology development and first phase of construction (42 antennas). In October 2007 the array began commissioning tests and initial observations"

Seti needs $5 million over the next 2 years to fund the Allen array.

edit on 26-4-2011 by Logical one because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Yeah, absolutely no way there's not one nerdy rich guy willing to give 2.5 million a year! That's nothing!

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
SETI was never about finding alien life. It has some ulterior purpose.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by sepermeru

What? Why? How could they stop the private donations on which SETI has run for many years?

How could anyone? This is very strange indeed. I posted an article from Space in 2007 in the other thread on this which outlines exactly why it's impossible for private donors to ever stop supporting SETI.

And yet now it has happened. There's not one nerdy rich guy who still wants to keep the lights on? Something is not right with this.
edit on 26-4-2011 by sepermeru because: edit button is my best friend

Well perhaps the worldwide economic downturn has had an effect.
Even rich nerdy guys generally like to invest in something that will turn a profit.

SETI is generally like sinking your money in a black hole with no guarantee that it will ever find anything.....let alone anything in a human lifetime.........so even if I was stinking rich........I would think twice before donated $millions to the SETI program.
Whilst most of us on this forum are fascinated by all things related to "Life in the Universe"........most of the population isn't.

So it's not too surprising that an expensive non profit making venture with no guarantee of any results would run into funding troubles particularly in this economic climate.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Make Speed Limit 45

oooohh!

Care to elaborate?
Sounds like we could write a great novel or start a religion.....

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
It's a pity, especially when the system is on a relatively low budget annually. The amount of information received by the equipment was the biggest headache, since there was so much of it. I think they had to farm much of it out to people with large computer systems for analysis, there could still be another "Wow!" knocking about somewhere.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
The Allen Telescope Array is a neat toy but with the government tightening the budget and cutting so many programs it would be a PR nightmare to continue funding. Maybe the researchers that lose their jobs will now have time to search for terrestrial intelligence on the internet? There should be lots of data that they could re-sift archived somewhere.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Bordon81

Yeah, it sure would be a nightmare if the government had to fund it.

Good thing they haven't done that for many years. SETI runs on private donations.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
This saddens me greatly
I have several computers, all run the BOINC software and data crunch for SETI, among other projects. I will continue to do so until there are no more data packets being distributed. Hopefully, the necessary funds will be collected well before that happens.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Most likely it was always a smokescreen and sideshow to distract people from real evidence of alien observation / visitation.

I supported the program for decades until it became clear that the "scientists" at SETI had absolutely NO interest in collaborating with UFOlogists or even MUFON to compare and exchange data.

If scientists do NOT want to collaborate on such an issue - then it is because they are not interested in looking at ALL of the data - a very bad sign indeed.

Are some SETI scientists legit? - perhaps - but they seem to then be patsy's for the Govt. since there is ZERO accountability to civilian overview and since they are too brow-beaten to have a legitimate dialog about extraterrestrials with the seemingly far more knowledgable public.

Good riddence SETI - like Wikileaks you served your corrupt masters well for a time - but the internet has opened our eyes to your paper-thin deception.

edit on 26-4-2011 by truthmagnet because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Will folks from SETI still be around to make snarky comments whenever UFOs are in the news? Because sometimes it seemed like that's all SETI has been good for these days.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

SETI is joining Disclosure !!! This was just posted 1 hour ago, I don't know how old the documentary is.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by KaiserSoze
Actually they quit looking because they found all the aliens. They just didn't tell everyone because they thought it might affect,,,,, well, never mind.

Originally posted by DesertedIsland
i'd laugh if "aliens" were just about to be proven, but SETI got turned off

You're all correct. Congratulations. SETI is no longer required, and in fact, never was because... well... it's a long story.

I should elaborate. 29 Sputnik signals, followed by decades of... well, let's see... the Wow Signal is about it. But in reality, and secretly, they already had all the signals they needed long before SETI got going; all they needed to do was decode them. So why keep paying to search for something you've already got? To hide the fact that you've already got it, obviously. That means billions of dollars (here and abroad) have been wasted just to keep us from finding out the same things they knew. Entire lives, careers, antenna installations, all wasted because they wanted to lie to us.

Pitchfork, anyone? No, no, that's not the answer. A complete reorganization of all financial and political power structures the entire world over? There ya go...
edit on 4/27/2011 by Thought Provoker because: I should elaborate.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by sepermeru
Yeah, absolutely no way there's not one nerdy rich guy willing to give 2.5 million a year! That's nothing!

well...the obvious is obvious, so why ponder the thought.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by mother1138
Will folks from SETI still be around to make snarky comments whenever UFOs are in the news? Because sometimes it seemed like that's all SETI has been good for these days.

Since my skype meeting has finished, i would like to add, that those working there are more or less following guidelines, make no mistake or assume otherwise...are we clear on that, now moving right along,..doesn't it strike you odd that such an institution is considered as a non-viable investment, Face it, there are people out there who can justify burning resources to justify their current status, its nothing new, nor does it require some quantum physics to explain the methods being adopted.

People often ask me on a one to one conversation, are we alone..i simply reply with, no. Does that in anyway impact their daily existence, no, should i be concerned, yes.

Don't look at the forest, but concentrate on that insignificant worm that is not visible but you know its there.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I did participate when they released the screen saver / compiler program in the mid 90's. I always thought it was a long shot ^26 power.
If a race of beings is capable of interstellar travel they most likely WILL NOT BE:
1.) Communicating on a sub-light speed radio frequency, or any radio frequency, or any spectrum of light.
2.) Transmitting unencrypted messages
3.) Transmitting uncompressed messages.
4.) using English or any other Earth language or symbols.
5.) Stopping by to say hello to the troglodytes inhabiting the third planet from the sun.
edit on 28-4-2011 by Smack because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthmagnet

Most likely it was always a smokescreen and sideshow to distract people from real evidence of alien observation / visitation.

I supported the program for decades until it became clear that the "scientists" at SETI had absolutely NO interest in collaborating with UFOlogists or even MUFON to compare and exchange data.

If scientists do NOT want to collaborate on such an issue - then it is because they are not interested in looking at ALL of the data - a very bad sign indeed.

Are some SETI scientists legit? - perhaps - but they seem to then be patsy's for the Govt. since there is ZERO accountability to civilian overview and since they are too brow-beaten to have a legitimate dialog about extraterrestrials with the seemingly far more knowledgable public.

Good riddence SETI - like Wikileaks you served your corrupt masters well for a time - but the internet has opened our eyes to your paper-thin deception.

Astute observation. You have taken the words right out of my mouth. And not only are SETI scientists woefully not open minded, in recent years they've become active debunkers i.e. Seth Shostack. bad mouthing UFOlogy at every instance comparing it to Astrology, when scientists of note such as Michio Kaku say UFOs need to be studied more.

Just having SETI around is an active psy-op on the public. Good riddance, it was all poorly conceived to begin with.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

It seems the end has arrived for Seti, and maybe even our search for ET life out there somewhere.

This makes me sad in a way, for this IMHO would have been very good proof of the existence of ET's if and when SETI managed to find something.

But now it is finished.

www.mercurynews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

They weren't really searching in the first place. I mean, for starters, those aliens could be using any kind of technology to communicate, not just radio waves. The theory behind it was all wrong.. the theory that an alien civilization is going to be using radio waves. The idea of it all was totally wrong, as the universe is probably so big and old with so many infinite dimensions that picking a radio signal from a foreign planet was the most impossible long shot.

Obviously, it was only there to make us think that they were searching for life out in the universe, when in reality they were just trying to dupe us into believing that there are no aliens. Now they've been able to implement the final stage of the setup, by closing down their SETI farce and proclaiming that they have found no intelligent life in the Universe except for us.

But, lets not be idiots... Of course there is life out there in the Universe. Unfortunately, we didn't even need SETI to figure that one out as it's actually right under our noses. Haven't you seen enough Ghost Car and Stage Hypnotist/Stage Psychic videos on youtube to notice that maybe something fishy is going on? Even a little fishy? That's just for starters...

Hey, I can't even sit still here for a second because there's some kind of... I'll call it an "alien psychic", that has full control over my head an pretty much just does anything with my body parts. Not only that, but when it's not rumbling my stomach (it's an impossibly uncomfortable rumble that it does) or making painful "snore" sounds emanate from my nose, then it still has what I'll call "sounds" (it's more the "voices" term that you would just love to hear, but I'll use word "sounds") in my head non-stop. And then to top it off, they chase me around with dogs and an infinite number of people.

Okay, so that last paragraph was kind of mushed together and hard to follow, but you have to keep in mind that I was trying to describe something from another world... so let's get off that subject. The point that I wanted to make is that you don't need satellite dishes or signal analysis programs or any of that stuff if you're searching for aliens. All you really have to do is wake up, and look around.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by MegaCurious
....... The point that I wanted to make is that you don't need satellite dishes or signal analysis programs or any of that stuff if you're searching for aliens. All you really have to do is wake up, and look around.

Oh umm...lets see, since the cpu was made available to the human race and since the internet was also made available to be used by its inhabitants,....well i guess the rest is more or less right before your eyes as the gentleman has so gently posted and i have quoted.

You are a product of your environment.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
You may not be familiar with "skip tracing," but once you establish contact, the search is over.
The next steps are to confirm the contacts, and establish a pipeline.

Are you ready?

jw

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join