It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Public Pensions, Once Off Limits, Face Budget Cuts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   
You knew it was coming, well...here it is...

When an arbitrator ruled this month that Detroit could reduce the pensions being earned by its police sergeants and lieutenants, it put the struggling city at the forefront of a growing national debate over whether the pensions of current public workers can or should be reduced.

...officials in strapped states from California to Illinois have begun to take a second look, to see whether there might be loopholes allowing them to cut the pension benefits of current employees. Now the move in Detroit — made possible, lawyers said, because Michigan’s constitutional protections are weaker — could spur other places to try to follow suit.

“These things do tend to be herd-oriented,” said Sylvester J. Schieber, an economist and consultant who studies pensions.

Source - New York Times

There are two things that jump out at me here...

...pensions of current public workers...

That would include most of the baby boomers would it not? Although this is only refering to public employees, how long do you think it will take for everyone else to climb on board too?

...see whether there might be loopholes...

What do you think the odds are of there NOT being at least a couple? Even if there aren't, all that is required is a weak judge to allow for a 'unique' interpretation of one or more clauses.

This was so predictable, and the best part is that it is perfectly in step with the financial crisis (amazingly so actually). I know that the article says that these moves are out of desperation because of the crisis, but given that Social Security has been robbed in every country for decades it seems like this is the magic bullet that they have been looking for.

"Sorry, we spent your pension and because of this global crisis everyone's broke so we can't pay it back..."

My mother actually has to pay close attention here in Canada for this exact same move; the provincial government has been rumbling about maybe discontinuing one of the aspects of her pension. She has to make sure that EVERYTHING is paid off ASAP so that she can retire immediately if the rumbling's turn into an actual proposal.

edit on 26-4-2011 by [davinci] because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Politicians are waging an all out war on the American middle class! After years of mismanagement and financial irresponsibility, the debt is being thrown on the backs of Americans once again. Really makes me sick the things that are going on in government right now.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   
State pensions are like returns on a stock.

When you buy in the will be one number, decades later they will be another number.

Nothing has perpetual growth. Not even a government.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   
How 'bout the politicians' pensions?
In Canada all they need to do is get in for 2 terms - and they're pensioned for life.
They don't have to work their backs off for 30 years to get these pensions.
Hell, they can even rob us blind for those 2 terms and poof - pensioned for life.

More of us than them - tough times call for tough actions, no?
And no, that was not a hint towards violence.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

True, but this isn't a question of limited growth.

They want to reduce the payments. Speak to any person who is close to retirement...they can all tell you years in advance what their monthly retirement income will be.

Now at the last minute that income is going to be rolled back.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   
The good thing is
due to inflation and devaluation most of the pensions HAVE already been STOLEN
to bad workers,
take that minions

They couldn't steal the pensions out right because the public serpants (minions) would revolt
so they stole them while the minions were out stealing our money
to give to the PTB too

IDIOT MINIONS
man I got to tell you are IGNORANT AND DUMB
please do not wine
wining is reserved for the people
you screwed for the PTB so they could afford to set up
to steal your pension

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Time to open your American eyes. The US people are being screwed and by the very people who are supposed to be elected to represent your interests. Thats because they tow the line to ensure they have security in their old age so it dont really matter about the masses!! Selfish like all politicians and associated bull #ters!!

Time for the US folk to wake up!

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   
This whole problem is being caused by a HUGE generational divide and expectation.......

The 'baby boomer' generation have , in the main had it TOO good for TOO long and quite simply the lifestyle EXPECTED by that generation is one which cannot be maintained or even sustained....

Within the Baby Boomer generation there is a rich /poor divide which needs to be brought down before addressing the wider issues........ the polarization of wealth with a few is MASSIVE and the cause of many frustrations else where.....

Governments and Politicians are despised because of the actions they have to impose BUT in reality PEOPLE need to get real and start to understand and ACCEPT thst we can't HAVE IT ALL....

Regards

PDUK

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
The good thing is
due to inflation and devaluation most of the pensions HAVE already been STOLEN
to bad workers,
take that minions

They couldn't steal the pensions out right because the public serpants (minions) would revolt
so they stole them while the minions were out stealing our money
to give to the PTB too

IDIOT MINIONS
man I got to tell you are IGNORANT AND DUMB
please do not wine
wining is reserved for the people
you screwed for the PTB so they could afford to set up
to steal your pension

You are speaking nonsense. I worked for 25 years in the public sector, I did a good job and 'served the public' well. What's more, I am entitled to every cent of my pension as it was negotiated as deferred wages.

And learn how to spell.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Wait while next year, budget cuts and gas at $7 a gallon.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

While I do agree with you for the most part, we never hear about those who are doing slightly better than just getting by.

It is only the extremes that get media coverage.

Returning to my parents...they have not lived a life that is in any way lavish or spoiled. They have worked hard thier entire lives to be able to provide a decent life for themselves (and raise 1 child).

They have only owned a new car once (back in the 70's), never taken a vacation to an exotic location (in my entire life the only true vacation they have ever taken was a bus trip last year to Boston for the Super-Sports-Weekend...3 pro games in 3 days)...etc. Although there are alot of people who have lived vastly beyond thier means there are substantially more who, like my parents, have just managed to get by with a few comforts here or there.

Now they have to live the last couple years before retirement in fear of what the last few years of thier lives are going to be like?

I understand the point you are making, but it is far to much of a generalization.

Given what we see being done all around us, the middle class dies with the baby boomers.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by [davinci]

davinci

Your parents have lived by a set of morales and ethics which they were brought up with and I commend that. They have obviously been 'responsible' to themselves and the world around them........... a fact which is not so true of many in todays world whom expect everything, all the time with little repect or responsibilty for what that means....

In my initial post i made reference to a divide within the baby boomer generation themselves........ some at th etop of the tree have continuously rewarded themseleves more and more and then into retirement, set themselves up to live a lavish lifestyle........ Not true of all i grant you BUT that generation has actually artificially increased the value and therefore costs of everything in our society.......... That is problematic and in my opinion, Unsolvable WITHOUT direct action to change the system we all live under currently.....

This attitude in some has then been passed down the generations to todays youngsters whom have less time, respect and social communication skills (forget Twitter and all that rubbish - just plain taliking and engaging people with civility and intelligence) ............... this IMO is actually the cause of alot of the social issues in our societies today...

Regards

PDUK

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

I'm 37, and I completely agree that most of my generation is hopelessly out of touch with reality.

I see the things that my friends and 'peers' are doing and cannot help but wonder how they think this is all going to end for them. There are a couple of my friends that had kids young and I see how that generation is living and almost have to laugh to keep from crying.

(I use the term 'peer' very loosely...I've posted in other threads that I'm debt free and that when I tell people that they look at me like I just slapped them. Always the same question with the same stupid look on thier face...What do you mean your debt free?)

Makes me wonder if the word 'consequence' has been removed from the dictionary.

Like I said, I don't think you are wrong; this entire ride ends in a train wreck that everyone should be able to see coming but few bother to look.

Not all of the victims are at fault was my point.

new topics

top topics

join