It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the future of Space Exploration in peril? NASA suspends Space Shuttle; SETI runs out of funding..

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

Thanks for the clarification- So where does this all leave us then in your opinion?

Privately funded space platforms, as you alluded, don't seem to be ready for any robust space exploration, if you I understood you correctly. And we all know what's happening with NASA...

Has the evolution of our space programs, both private and government funded, hit the skids for awhile?

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Having read the article, and having looked at the space race, and the technical advancement that NASA has achieved the following can be stated:
With the budget cuts for NASA and the different agencies that utilize part of that budget, it is going to have a dramatic impact on NASA and the US space exploration for years to come. Many technical innovations, and discoveries came as a result of pure R&D of the scientist asking questions, having to come up with answers to problems, and coming up with solutions that allowed for the benefit of all mankind. It was this very aspect, the space race that led to the further knowledge of all man kind, from actual development of space travel to furthering knowledge of our own piece of the universe. In the time that NASA has been in operation, it has broken many records, as well as, set a man on the moon. Many scientists all agree that the future of mankind lies beyond our earthly bonds and it is a mistake to cut NASA’s budget on any level, even to curtail the continued sending of people into space. NASA and the Russian counterpart led to the development of the X race, for private commercial space flight. But there are other considerations that many experts all agree, that the current administration either does not understand or chooses to ignore. That by cutting the funding, and no longer having the US actually do manned space flights, the technical aspects of such will put the US behind as those people and programs will become redundant and other countries will take more of a lead. For years the US, and in particular NASA made money by the commercial aspect of taking satellites into orbit, from around the world, and many countries sought to use the technical skills that NASA provided for such. It was NASA that challenged different generations of children to reach for the stars and to excel in math and sciences to become leaders in the field to further the reaches of human knowledge. The end of an era is upon us and we will be poorer for it. Even off shoots such as SETI, even though it did not come up with tangible results, that could be seen, however, the technical innovations, allowed for people to see further into the night sky and more understanding of the universe. Technologies in the way of communications, and computers were part of that push and drive, and we must wonder if this will cause the US to further fall behind in those areas.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by sdcigarpig

Good post

I believe you've echoed my sentiment exactly as it pertains to this situation...

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by PhotonEffect

All I can say at this point in time, (as part of a consortium team to manage the NASA ISS National Laboratory), is the more I probe into this new lab, and it's plans to keep the ISS up there (2016), and some proposals that have been ridiculed since 2005, along with some news I'm getting on Russian heavy lifters, I must say right now I'm a bit sad.

Now the ISS can maintain its orbit for years even unmanned from right here on earth, but if NASA and international and private investment is to continue to suffer from economic stress the whole thing just might be another Spacelab crash in some remote desert in Australia, (I seriously doubt the world would let that happen) and that is why NASA has been reaching out to make this whole thing a worldwide effort, and has invested in the companies that have been coming to the party so to speak.

Boeing I understand is on one of the other teams to operate the ISSNL, and I really don't know how many bids have been submitted, I do know the extended submission date was 4/1/11 (not an April Fool joke). Boeing really doesn't need this contract as it really isn't about building the launch platforms, which they are showing great interest in assisting. NASA has the resources and specialized industries in place, without dollars, things suck because most of the real hitters are companies for profit on the market, namely the U.S. companies you've grown to know and hate, along with the reliance on proven builders, we have to assist those just getting their feet wet, and intrigue those eastern that only launch satellites for profit, namely the ESA, (European Space Agency), to help out a bit more!!!!!

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

It is a bit saddening.

And it seems that now more than ever it will have to be a internationally funded endeavor if we're to make real strides.

I'd be curious to see how China will positions themselves in all of this.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
This shows how intelligent our world is.
They rather fund war, and terrorize people than supply space programs.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join