It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the future of Space Exploration in peril? NASA suspends Space Shuttle; SETI runs out of funding..

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Well, SETI has put its array into hibernation and reduced it's staff due to lack of funding. It said it plans to revamp it's operations by 2013 when new funding goes into effect. This new funding will fuel future projects until 2018...

I know many here don't think SETI is worth its existence anyway, but it is a bit disheartening to see this happening.

With NASA also in a bit of a budget crisis, where are we going to get all those [sarc] smoking gun STS UFO videos? [/sarc]

But seriously though--- I hope Kepler keeps it's funding and finds a twin Earth out there soon. Otherwise what do we have to look forward to? We can't stay on this damn rock forever...

Artcicle

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I think the Falcon 9 is our best hope for the immediate future.
Its got a size-able payload for a decent launch price
en.wikipedia.org...
www.bbc.co.uk...

SpaceX hopes the Falcon 9 can also take a sizeable share of the commercial satellite launch market. It is quoting prices to put large telecommunications spacecraft in geostationary orbit that dramatically undercut current sector leaders, such as Europe's Ariane 5 and Russia's Proton vehicles.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
If the future of Space Exploration in peril you can kiss the human race good by with in the next few hundred years. I'm sorry but if you really get the facts about SETI I think you will see that it's just a waste of $. We have a lot better ways that we can search for alien life that would be worth the money and would eventually find life if its out there, and I think it is.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by FarBeyondDriven69
If the future of Space Exploration in peril you can kiss the human race good by with in the next few hundred years. I'm sorry but if you really get the facts about SETI I think you will see that it's just a waste of $. We have a lot better ways that we can search for alien life that would be worth the money and would eventually find life if its out there, and I think it is.

I don't disagree that SETI may be a big waste of money considering the return on investment so far...

But what better ways are you thinking of?

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by XRaDiiX

Pretty cool.

I had just recently read something about The Dragon that SpaceX is developing which can send man to Mars.

Perhaps the future of space exploration will be left in the hands of a few privately funded companies.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   
In the role they both play in the discovery of life beyond earth, well... not needed any more as far as the government is probably concerned....

In all other NASA endeavors, a huge loss. I love the science behind all of the missions and the world has benefited greatly from them. This will, however, put a new expediency into the privatization of Earth orbital space travel. Go Virgin!

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Some other interesting links from emerging commercial space industry:

www.parabolicarc.com...

en.wikipedia.org...(spacecraft)

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by PhotonEffect

I don't disagree that SETI may be a big waste of money considering the return on investment so far...

Why do you care if private donors waste their money? SETI was funded privately, not through taxes.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
i think you mean the future of nasa's deathgrip hold on space exploration in america. and to that the answer is possibly. not that that would be a bad thing. private corporations and other nations however are not going to stop their ever expanding efforts at space exploration. so don't worry.

someday the people of america will realise that space exploration is worthwhile, that the tiny fraction of the taxpayer dollars used to fund it isn't good enough, and that the bureaucracy used to run nasa is ridiculous and needs to be reduced. then america will once again be a first class space ex nation. untill then we'll have to wait and see what other nations and private corps do.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
If we can get some reps that have higher IQ's than a grapefruit, NASA and private space ventures will grow, not shrink.

Helium 3.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by FarBeyondDriven69

Here are some links that talk about other ways to search for alien civilizations: www.ufoevidence.org...
www.planetary.org...
www.thespacereview.com...

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   

reply to post by XRaDiiX

Pretty cool.

I had just recently read something about The Dragon that SpaceX is developing which can send man to Mars.

Perhaps the future of space exploration will be left in the hands of a few privately funded companies.
I think that the industry's that go into space will be the way humans getting into space living there in colonies made up of the people that work for the company's and there family's. Maybe if you work in space you'll be able to rent an apartment in a space station some day. The main things holding them back right now is I'm sure artificial-gravity so you can stand upright and anti-gravity for a cheap way to get into space and move around. I have followed Space X, Virgin Galactic, Bigelow Aerospace, Blue Origin, Boeing Co, hoping they will take us where NASA didn't but they will do it to make money.
edit on 26-4-2011 by FarBeyondDriven69 because: sorry I can't type worth a **** lol

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by FarBeyondDriven69

Plus, you can not have sex in space.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Fiberx

You know SETI isn't funded by the government, right? So our reps have nothing to do with this.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by thorazineshuffle

that's not true at all. you can too. getting pregnant, in space, is an entirely different matter.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by sepermeru
reply to post by Fiberx

You know SETI isn't funded by the government, right? So our reps have nothing to do with this.

Ya, I guess the point is, both privately funded and government funded space programs are cutting back.

Companies like Space X and Virgin Galactic could very well be the wave of the future, but how many people can afford the price tag to take a ride into space?

Enough to keep VG going?

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by PhotonEffect

Yeah, after posting I realized this wasn't one of the other SETI threads. My mistake, sorry.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I just want to weigh in on a couple of stark realities here before the private sector space travel gets out of hand, (I was preparing a very long post with links but now without 12 windows open I think I can wing it to get to the trust of it all).

Space X was started with a $100 mil private investment around 2004-5, and since has generated another $20 mil. With that they successfully launched after 4 failures one Indian Satellite into LEO, that weighs about 400 pounds, a large man's weight, with their Falcon I platform. They set into orbit for 3 hours a block of cheese (not #ing you) with their Falcon 9 launch platform, and got a $280 mil contract from NASA (U.S. Tax dollars) to come good with their claims for their Falcon Heavy, to launch men, (and an outrageous claim of over 100,200 pounds) said to be the most powerful Rocket since the Saturn 5. Though it's liftoff thrust is about 60% of the Space Shuttle platform, (Haven't finished my numbers of Russian heavy lifters yet), but the advertising is misleading. It's not the power, but their claimed payload that's supposed to be double of anything NASA yet to date they put one 400-pound satellite and a block of cheese into orbit, (the cheese came back). I'm not sure if they ever landed anything let alone dock anything in space yet (on their two trips, well obviously NOT).

Their whole selling point on a platform to Mars is just fantasy, as of right now they claim their drive is only about 5% capable (but they will upscale it).

All of those links above are correlated, depending on the claims (and not demonstrated successful launches) on one and the other, each company is saying they will use that other company's theoretical technology, that has never to date been 'scaled up'. Meaning they are theoretical platforms, and not real.

So don't get so excited and don't think they are privately funded, you will find NASA experimental grants of an average of $20 mil all over their houses.

Besides I think a lot of the shock of this post would be lost if I linked every detail while explaining things, so if you do want the verifications and not their own website soliciting sales pitches, this is as good a place to start to spray a bit of reality on this private venture claims.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
And Virgin never reached LEO, 62 miles up is in some aspects considered space, (you get an astronaut badge at 50 miles up), but you can't place anything that low and expect it to orbit, they need another 150 miles up more at least.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join