It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iranians take pot shots at US-British forces in Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2003 @ 06:10 PM
link   
www.spacewar.com...

Iranians take pot shots at US-British forces in Iraq

FAO, Southern Iraq (AFP) Mar 23, 2003
Coalition forces have come under fire from Iranian military units across the border from Iraq, British commandos said.
Iranian anti-aircraft gun emplacements and fixed machine-gun posts have opened fire sporadically at British Royal Marine commandos and low-flying US aircraft.

The 40 Commando marines were in the far southern town of Fao locked in a fire fight with Iraqi Baath party fighters just a few hundred metres (yards) from the border between the two countries, the Shatt al-Arab waterway.

A Royal Marines spokesman said: "We are content that the fire from Iran was inaccurate and ineffective, but none the less puzzling".

The first of several volleys, witnessed by a reporter from London's Daily Mirror, was directed at a US A-10 Thunderbolt ground attack jet which swooped low over the Iraqi town to 'buzz' a gun position.

Royal Marines spotted at least one anti-aircraft tower on the Iranian side of the waterway attempting to target the jet.

None of the Iranian fire was accurate and all coalition personnel were left unharmed by it.

British and US troops did not return the fire, but they have orders that allow them to do so if it is necessary for self-defence.

Other pot shots at US-led forces from Iran further north by the border have also been reported in the last few days.

It is not thought the incidents were given official authorisation from Tehran. The Islamic republic's leaders publicly oppose the US-led invasion of Iraq that begun last Thursday.

Iranians living on or near the border with Iraq were suspected of having sympathies with their Iraqi neighbours.

posted on Mar, 25 2003 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Is this a good time to mention my previous posts regarding our future expansion of the war to include Iran, Syria, and eventually Saudi Arabia?

posted on Mar, 25 2003 @ 07:21 PM
link   
www.paktribune.com...

Iran to be US next target: CIA Report
Monday March 24, 2003 (0214 PST)

LAHORE, March 24 (Online): The next target of US after capturing Iraq will be replacement of religious government in Iran with a secular government as the US forces in Afghanistan have already started implementation on action plan in this regard.

According to reliable sources, US Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) had submitted a detailed 300 pages long report to President George Bush in which it was pointed out that during possible US attack on Iran religiously motivated Jehadi (holy warrior) organizations would support Iran from the border areas of Pakistan and Afghanistan.

Following this report US intelligence agencies have started actions to check any possibility of provision of support to Iran from border areas of the two neighbouring countries by organizations like Tehreek Nifaz Shariat Mohammadi and tribal leaders in Pakistan and Hizb-e-Islami of Eng. Gulbadeen Hikmatyar along with supporters of former Taliban regime in Afghanistan.

Sources further revealed that operation being conducted by U.S. forces in Afghanistan on March 20 was not against Al-Qaeda rather it was against Hizb-e-Islami and possible supporters of Iran.

US intelligence agencies have also informed the US State Department about the names of organizations in Pakistan and Afghanistan which could support Iran during any possible US attack and this list include names of about six organizations.

Sources also revealed that list of countries where replacement of government has been declared essential included Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran, Libya, Cuba and North Korea and from this list Taliban regime has been replaced in Afghanistan while war against Iraq is going on.

Moreover, those 22 countries which are being declared threat to U.S. security could face similar US action like in Iraq if they failed to ensure disarming of their armed organizations and finishing their nuclear arsenal.

posted on Mar, 25 2003 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I highly agree with your story there. It is however missing Saudi Arabia, which i believe we will be entering/occupying sooner rather than later due to its extreme financial support of terrorism, its financial and oil resources.

posted on Mar, 25 2003 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Hehe.

We'll make the CRUSADES look like a mere excursion..

posted on Mar, 25 2003 @ 09:30 PM
link   
We'll make the CRUSADES look like a mere excursion Posted by NeverSleeps

It looks like it is about to happen.....

Marines line up on Iranian Border....

www.telegraph.co.uk.../news/2003/03/26/wiran26.xml&sSheet=/news/2003/03/26/ixnewstop.html

posted on Mar, 26 2003 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Can you blame Iran? A recent CIA slip revealed that the U.S. plans to attack Iran not too long after Iraq. As far as I am concerned, the Iranians not only have a right to defend themselves, but an obligation. I truly feel sorry for all the misguided soldiers who are willing to die for an equally misguided president and his Imperialist urges.

If I were a Muslim holy man, or better yet, A high ranking Saudi official, I would recommend that all Arab nations converge on Iraq and drive the U.S. invaders out of the dusty Iraqi sands.

dom

posted on Mar, 26 2003 @ 06:58 AM
link   
I agree Kai.

The more these sort of leaks continue, the more likely it is that the whole Middle East will form an alliance and try to kick the US out of Iraq.

This idea of crusading across the Middle East is ridiculous.

posted on Mar, 26 2003 @ 08:12 AM
link   
And if these "plans to attack Iran" really are "slips" by intelligence officials, then I certainly have no confidence in said officials being capable of planning a middle-eastern "crusade". For this to go beyond Iraq is unthinkable, and stupidity of the largest proportions... While I agree with the war on Iraq, the then go after another arab nation at this time, would be political suicide, and only serve to convince the middle east that their fears are confirmed.

top topics

join