It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Search for alien life put on hold

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Search for alien life put on hold

www.cnn.com

A collection of sophisticated radio telescopes in California that scan the heavens for extraterrestrial signals has suspended operations because of lack of funding, a spokeswoman said Monday...

SETI CEO Tom Pierson sent an April 22 letter to donors saying the telescope array had been put into "hibernation," Randall said. Pierson's letter stated in part, "Starting this week, the equipment is unavailable for normal observations and is being maintained in a safe state by a significantly reduced staff."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Sad to hear. They say that they will resume in 2013 when they get "new funding", but who knows, I've seen things stalled or killed indefinitely while waiting for "funding".

On the conspiracy angle, one could imagine that they were shut down either to keep them from hearing a signal, or verifying a signal detected elsewhere.

www.cnn.com

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Unfortunately there are more important things to fund these days, and less money to fund them. Honestly, I would like to see the whole space program privatized.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
SETI is doing it all wrong. They'd find Aliens if they just visited this website.
There's always a new claim weekly.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
i think we need to find intelligent life

here before we spend money on finding it elsewhere.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blazer

On the conspiracy angle, one could imagine that they were shut down either to keep them from hearing a signal, or verifying a signal detected elsewhere.

Perhaps the STS 134 mission that some believe may be to install a machine that opens worm holes?

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776
Unfortunately there are more important things to fund these days, and less money to fund them. Honestly, I would like to see the whole space program privatized.

I have to totally agree with this and it actually looks like we are heading in that direction.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Sad to hear. They say that they will resume in 2013 when they get "new funding", but who knows, I've seen things stalled or killed indefinitely while waiting for "funding".

www.cnn.com

Just for the sake of assuming alternative perspectives those awaiting disclosure might say it is a sign that the search, or the illusion of a search, is over. Or that there will be a change in whatever hegelian dialectic gives disclosurist perspective agency in this discourse.
edit on 25-4-2011 by KindaGrayish because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-4-2011 by KindaGrayish because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I guess the old adage "if you build it, they will come" doesn't really apply to this situation.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Why would they pay all that money out to find proof that they already know exists. They know the game is up re their secrecy due to the internet now they have to look for another Front Organisation and it will be there.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I can't understand why such a small amount of money can't be made available for such an importand project if not warning system....5mil common please this is small chump change from a gov/world perspective.

Unless as the other guy said no need if thier here all ready?

Cheers!

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Blazer

This is a topic that greatly interests me, however there are far more important issues at hand to spend money on, if those in charge decide to actually put this extra cash to good is another story however. We should focus on sorting out life on earth before worrying about life elsewhere. Its a shame tho those in charge dont focus on helping thse in need. When we have povety in our own countries I think it unacceptable that we spend so much money on other things. We shuld make this world better or else when we make contact with ET's they may take one look and decide we are more bad than good and it would be hard to blame them, although I do believe as a species we are good naured. Its just that those in charge are a disgusting minority.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   

www.cnn.com

Sad to hear? It's a charade and a scam run by hidebound idiots who wouldn't know communication if it bit 'em on the butt! It's a sop to the chattering classes. I'd call it pointless, except that the people involved in it make a living by it and I hate to see them unemployed.

I'd say there are probably a dozen people on this very site who have probably observed more recognizable communication from the cosmos than these dimwits....

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I can't help but thunk conspiracy when I saw this. Hopefully they don't shut down indefinetly.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776

While I agree with this to an extent, when viewed in the context of the entire budget, NASA doesn't get very much at all.

NASA’s budget … as far as Americans think

I think they do a pretty good job with what they get

I don't think that SETI gets anything from the Feds anymore.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
You can check out how stupid SETI is at the bottom of this link claudescommentary.com... . Who knows how many signals it has failed to detect and pass on to the public. The Search for Earthly Terrestrial Intelligence project has failed. Humans are not much smarter than a mushroom, dying in their own waste and easily controlled. Our reptilian overlords have us by the balls and we like it, why else would be put up with so much BS?

Really, fake wars, suppressed technology, denied other worldly life, immense corruption and we are all told it does not exist, look away, so we do. Despite the fact the evidence says otherwise, our stupidity factor is galactic.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by clintdelicious
We should focus on sorting out life on earth before worrying about life elsewhere.
This sounds like a reasonable comment until you realize that we will never finish sorting out things on Earth. There will always be problems, conflicts and challenges on earth and by waiting until they are all "resolved" we doom ourselves to not making any progress.

We need to get off the Earth at some point and colonize another place so we won't be a one-planet species and meet the same fate as the dinosaurs.

And since we apparently don't have the technology to do it yet, gaining that technology from a more advanced species might speed up the process (if they choose to share it with us).

Paul Allen already donated $25 million to the project but you'd think he could cough up a few more million to keep it going since the project bears his name. I think he's got billions.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Good riddance I say!

What are they scanning for, tv and radio signals in case ET are at home watching dancing with the greys?

From all accounts they are thousands, if not, millions of years ahead in technology.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by yamother44
I guess the old adage "if you build it, they will come" doesn't really apply to this situation.

Lol. I like that.
Seti allegedly or officially has recorded only one wow signal since its inception.
So they may have decided enough is enough and curtail this white elephant.
But hey why dont we build starships and go out there and colonise other worlds.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Blazer

You're really sad?

Seems to me to be one of the biggest wastes of money I can think of right now.

Along with our pathetic military dramatizations.

Let's get real and solve some of our pressing world problems instead of finding yet more excuses to ignore them!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join