It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tornado Watch 2011

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Watching this stream:
www.ustream.tv...

And someone just called in with reports of pretty insane destruction near Birmingham. Reports are that it is likely EF4/5 tornado from educated guesses on witnessed damage. It's pretty massive.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7a4babee9582.jpg[/atsimg]

Tuscaloosa damage. Tragic.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I have been watching the tornado that
hit Tuscaloosa and then Birmingham,
what a huge storm. Looking at Tuscaloosa I don't
believe their is a town left. Haven't heard
reports from Birmingham yet.

These storms are not over and I am
concerned for my family in Ky this evening.
Stay safe everyone!

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Video of Tuscaloosa tornado damage at Midtown. 15th St at McFarland Blvd area
www.twitvid.com...

This is what the area looked like before the tornado:
maps.google.com...

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by robyn

The Weather Channel home page is reporting this. They actually are reporting 32 deaths now.

On a side note and off topic, having used to live new New Orleans all my life and an avid hurricane tracker myself, Crowne Weather has excellent tropical reporting during hurricane season, probably the most comprehensive weather site for hurricanes I have ever found (and they operate out of New England, lol).

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by justsaying

Thank you for the great info. I'm in SE Florida. Storm2k.org has a collection of professional and amateur meteorologists who are really dedicated/fanatical. I've learned a lot from them.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1curious1
Have a Tornado Emergency in Alabama. Numerous confirmed tornados previously and currently. I can't even begin to tell you what all has been damaged so far. From early morning storms, we have 6 dead. Within the last thirty minutes, I've heard of houses and even the Cullman County Courthouse taking a direct hit, a mobile home park being demolished, numerous injuries and structures down in Arab, AL... I came home from work to find no damage at my own home, but many neighbors including the one behind me with a tree on their roof.

I have power, but many thousands don't.

local news... www.waff.com nbc
www.whnt.com CBS

Some great tornado pictures on their websites that viewers have sent in. This is CRAZY!!!!

I'm 20 mins out from the next tornado on the ground... Wish me luck!!!

Please let us know that you are ok when you get a chance.

Blessings.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Horrific Alabama tornado photos in this blog www.hamwx.com...

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by KathyG427

Thanks for the link with images Kathy. Unbelieveable
to see the images and know this powerful storm was
heading toward some of those taking the pictures. My heart
goes out to those that lost loved ones, those that are
injured and those that lost everything.

I survived a tornado when I was much younger, it
isn't east to forget and difficult to get back on
your feet.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by robyn

Thanks as well. I bookmarked that site you gave. One more month and then here we go again, lol. Even though I don't live on the coast anymore, I still love to track hurricanes and am just as fascinated as when I was a child, even after losing everything to Katrina. I guess it's just part of the culture from living in the south.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Well my county's under tornado watch too, so I'm with yas. But an amazing thing seems to be happening here...so far...The Blue Ridge mountains seem to be breaking the cells up and causing the whole thing to mostly go around us in WNC. We are getting some rain here and there, and some wind...But it's like it hits those mountains down around Sylva and Cullowee, NC....and tears the thing up. So far....

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Tornado warnings in Macon and Clay NC. Weather Underground is a great site for watching radar etc. Hope things stay calm near you.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

How's it looking in NC? Be safe!

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by KathyG427

Sporadic where I'm at, but one red cell did manage to stay somewhat together. The mountains seem to be weakening most of it somewhat though. I got lightening and red cell moving through now. Not too bad....yet.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
TrueAmerican, glad you have seemed to dodge the bullet so to speak. Very sadly, the death toll has doubled since I last checked the news:

www.cnn.com...

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Georgia here, northwest Atlanta suburbs. Had 2 tornado's go about 5 miles north of us and 2 tornado "signatures" good directly overhead. Been in the basement most of the evening.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   
No matter what, seek shelter underground with full cover steel and concrete re-enforcement. DO NOT TRUST HOUSE BASEMENTS.

if possible leave entire area and seek shelter in large concrete hospitals or court houses with basements and find the smallest room away from windows.

good luck be safe

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Death toll up to 83, and I imagine that will increase (sadly).

www.foxnews.com...

I have been following on the chase cams and hearing what these guys are saying, and bits I am reading, these storms are much stronger for this early in the year.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Photos of AL/GA after storms went through: www.myfoxatlanta.com...

@anumohi While I agree with you, many times you don't have time to evacuate to a more hardened shelter, especially if have little ones vs. how much warning you have. It's not feasible to load up the family and drive 10+ miles to a hardened shelter. We're lucky as the area we go to in our home basement is solid concrete on 3 walls, with 2 of them having dirt directly behind them. It also conjures up a funny mental image, but we wear bike helmets as well and have pillows around our "storm shelter".
edit on 4/28/2011 by Finalized because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join