It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa Issues Warning of Solar Superstorm 2012 - "One Billion Could Die!"

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by JustXeno

Ray Mears!! YES!

I'd completely forgotten about that guy, he is amazing!

Im off to watch some of his videos now. I think a lot of people could learn some valuable survival tips just by spending a few hours with him.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I would take a wild guess that it would fine to break out the 'ol BBQ grill and some ice cold beer. What else would there be to do if we are having to fend for ourselves against those of whom out there that have not taken the proper precautions to stock up on H2O, and food?

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by 10DTV
This will happen I believe at some point. Would The dark side of the earth at the time of the event emerge unaffected by this??

I believe that some of the dark side would be OK. And if it were a nuclear terrorist EMP only the areas in or close to line of sight of the detonation would be affected.

Consider though that now a few paleontologists think a massive solar flare and coronal mass ejection was at least partly responsible for one or more of the extinction events. Man has only been around for a few thousand of the billions of years of geological history. We don't really know just how bad a solar flare can get.

Think about this...

The last supervolcano eruption was over 70,000 years ago and Yellowstone last had a super eruption over 640,000 years ago. Our recorded history only goes back a few thousand years. If either were to repeat today billions around the world would die of freezing and starvation from the volcanic winter that would ensue.

We just cannot know what nature has in store for us or when it will happen until it does and it is too late to prepare for it.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by happykat39

Thanks happykat, i need more knowledge on how to fix stuff

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
The '1 billion' number is a very vague speculation, and the '2012' year may seem cheesy to some, but the fact is Nasa has had trouble predicting the maximum height of this next solar cycle. To add to that, the minimum cycle that we are now leaving has been the fifth longest ever recorded. While that may or may not be an indicator of things to come, how large and when the maximum of this cycle will take place has varied over the past decade. Their future prediction of this cycle seems to downplay the most recent data some, considering the rate of sunspot onset this cycle so it will be interesting to see their next update numbers.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/33190eb0d1bc.jpg[/atsimg]
Approximate strength of the great geomagnetic storm of May 14-15, 1921

Source

Some might call it 'fear mongering', I call it public and situational awareness of the vulnerabilities of our infrastructure. And when our electrical systems do get it, it will be a matter of how hard, not if they will be hit, and of course with it and the days after will lead to questions, oh, how could we let this go unchecked? Who do we blame? Someone must pay!

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by studio500

David Morrison could be a soothsayer or even a reptilian ( note the tongue, mouth movement throughout and eye changes ). Maybe he's right or maybe he's just another appointed "expert" who has no clue.There is no reason to panic if you understand a bit of who you really are, if you think this physical form is you..then I can see why you'd be distressed. Need to get beyond this finite illusion and see we are much more than that and that whether anything occurs or not in specific, we'll be o.k. death is a door, energy doesn't die, only transforms and we are living energy...Something big is going on ( we can feel it ) and to deny it is just telling oneself sweet little lies to cope.( which is understandable ).but really no need to ever fear or freak out unless it's your thing...then do what you gotta do..

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by spydrbyte25
Perhaps this could be the loss of life contrary to the fact of all the nuclear reactors on U.S. soil that would potentially meltdown if could not find alternative cooling methods.

Map-Nuclear-Reactors

Scary part about this map is most of those reactors are very close to the New Madrid Fault.

Can you see how potentially widescale this could be??

WOW - look at why Denver CO is sooooo popular with CIA -

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by awcgs

Yes, exactly. Maybe, maybe not. But nowhere in that does he (or anyone else from Nasa) say "one billion could die." That's the problem. No one is denying the outright possibility of a devastating solar cycle. Some believe this cycle has the potential to be incredibly disruptive. But NASA - that I can see anywhere - has never said "one billion could die." That is the conclusion of others based on statements made by various experts.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by shemannasun

Great post studio500!

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Seekeye2

I didn't know NASA did press releases through Helium.com.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by _BoneZ_

Originally posted by Seekeye2
"One billion could die"

Fear-mongering is rampant, nowadays, ain't it? Is there an official NASA release that we can read this study? And who made the above quote. It would be interesting to know.

I'm with you on this one...besides Michio Kaku, is not a reliable source of "genuine information". This guy has been profiting big time in the past few years from his "Scare Tactics".

But still, where's the proof from NASA? This kind of crap makes my blood boil!

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I can't believe how many people base their belief's off of pseudoscience and uneducated blogger's on website's where anyone can post whatever they please. Helium has claimed the world is going to end in many threads which have clearly been false. These include www.helium.com... www.helium.com... www.helium.com... ect, ect... Please people think before you start reacting in such a paranoid fashion. That video you you included was put out by Fox awhile ago, this is not anything new, but stating such claims as one billion deaths for shock value is clearly the case.
edit on 26-4-2011 by evolv because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
It makes one feel kind of infinitesimal knowing that if our sun were to expel one nice cosmic burp our way, it would send us back to the stone age on a technological level. There is not much that one can do other than brace and enjoy being microwaved to the Googoleth power. Oh well....

hail the sunshine!........HAAAIIIIL THE SUNSHINE!!!
edit on 26-4-2011 by maestromason because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by karen61057
reply to post by clearmind

I dont have to imagine big cities with power outages. I lived through the big east coast blackout of 1965 and another in the 1980's (dont remember which year specifically). I lived through the blackout in 2003 when hurricane Isabell took out power from North Carolina all the way to DC. All of these affected large metropolitian areas. Know what happened??? Some people had to make coffee on their charcoal grills !!! It was really terrible having coffee that tasted like smoke. One lady I worked with had an electric pump on a well. She had to take baths with bottled water. Horrible I tell ya. Soda without ice. You cant imagine the trauma from something like that. You get my point? We muddled through like we would if something like this occured. We'd have to rebuild power lines but we'd have the men to do it. They had power back in all the above situations in just a few days in most cases. With the hurricane some outlying areas were without power for a month because of the amount of trees and power lines down. But even they got their power back eventually. This wouldnt bring power lines down it would affect the transformers and relay stations and those could be brought back on line pretty quickly too.

You're not really comparing the mild inconvenience of a minor blackout like that to a year (or more) long global blackout, are you? Your situation didn't effect anything but luxury.
A global EMP would fry transformers, and these would have to be replaced one by one. That's hundreds of millions of transformers. I'm guessing there aren't millions of transformers sitting in a warehouse waiting to be installed, so they would have to be manufactured which is kind of hard without power. You'd also need trucks for installing these transformers. Any vehicle made after 1970 likely won't run after an EMP strike, so there's that problem. Its not going to be as easy as replacing a few downed wires here and there. Communication outages will also hinder things.
Your tiny month of inconvenience is nothing compared to a global shutdown. Once the violence begins, that will only slow things further. It'll be a stretch, and one many won't survive.

And to those stating that "Helium isn't a reliable source" or that "Michio Kaku is a fear mongering profiteer", the idea of an EMP threat and the damage that would result weren't invented by these two. This scenario is based on real science and real history, and it will happen again. Maybe not in 2012, but it will happen. Maybe tomorrow, maybe a thousand years from now. Once it happens though, it'll be too late to prepare. Kinda like running to Wal-Mart for a fire extinguisher once your living room is on fire.
edit on 26-4-2011 by Mactire because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by superluminal11
That would be a trip if the sun activated some kind of dormant DnA in us and we would be superbeings..strength , intelligence, health, etc

sounds like your on to something to me, what do you make of all this?

for you who fear my name, the Sun of Righteousness will rise with healing in his wings. And you will go free, leaping with joy like calves let out to pasture.

Then the eyes of the blind shall be opened,
And the ears of the deaf shall be unstopped.
Then the lame shall leap like a deer,
And the tongue of the dumb sing.
For waters shall burst forth in the wilderness,
And streams in the desert.

those who wait on the LORD
Shall renew their strength;
They shall mount up with wings like eagles,
They shall run and not be weary,
They shall walk and not faint.

Neither shall one thrust another; they shall walk every one in his path: and when they fall upon the sword, they shall not be wounded. They shall run to and fro in the city; they shall run upon the wall, they shall climb up upon the houses; they shall enter in at the windows like a thief.

He was transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light.

When they saw the star, they rejoiced with exceeding great joy

GRB 080319B released more energy than any other astronomical event ever recorded. In less than a minute, this dying star output more energy than the Sun will in its entire ten billion-year lifetime! Although it was observed in March 2008, the explosion itself happened some 7.5 billion years ago: that’s longer than our Sun has existed, and more than half the age of the universe itself. Ever since then the light has been streaming towards us, more than half the observable universe away, while we were busy evolving brains and building telescopes suitable to pick it up.

When I say this was the brightest event recorded, I’m talking about its intrinsic brightness: how much energy it actually produces. cosmic-web.co.uk...

I saw in the night visions, and, behold, one like the Son of man came with the clouds of heaven, and came to the Ancient of days

the sun to rule the day,
His faithful love endures forever.
and the moon and stars to rule the night.
His faithful love endures forever.

When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?

The most powerful one yet — in fact, the most violent and luminous event ever seen in the universe — flashed into view on the morning of March 19th.

This sets a record of a different kind: what is the farthest thing visible to the unaided eye? The usual answer is the Great Andromeda Galaxy at 2.5 million light-years.. But the visible-light afterglow from the March 19th burst had a redshift of 0.94, corresponding to a look-back time of 7.5 billion years — several thousand times more than the nearby galaxies. GRB 080319B's optical afterglow was 2.5 million times more luminous than the most luminous supernova ever recorded, making it the most intrinsically bright object ever observed by humans in the universe..Or perhaps it concentrated its energy in a [particularly] narrow jet that was aimed directly at Earth..noted another coincidence: the flurry of bursts marked the death of science fiction writer Arthur C. Clarke, as if the gamma-ray sky were lighting up with fireworks to send him off in style..
www.skyandtelescope.com...

And I will give him the morning star.

whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts

Arthur had even speculated that it was a supernova which marked the birth of Jesus

It’s amazing that the GRB knew 7.5 billion years ago, that Arthur C. Clarke would die on the day its light would arrive on a tiny planet that did not even exist when the GRB went off.
www.centauri-dreams.org...

In his work, Arthur C. Clarke often employed pathos to contrast the human scale against the immense scale of the universe. When he once mused on TV that the Star of Bethlehem had in fact been a supernova, now pulsar PSR 1913+16B, he added:ogleearth.com...

And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars

Bootes - HE IS COMING! www.openheaven.com...

find this very interesting also

Legends hold that Udumbara flowers blossom only once every three thousand years. Remarkably, they have been seen blossoming in recent years, bringing the legend to life for many in various regions of the world, to the great delight and surprise of the thousands who have seen them.

Udumbara blossoms were first recently seen in South Korea in 1997. The flowers were subsequently found in Mainland China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Northern California, New York, and Texas. What does the blossoming of Udumbara flowers mean?

According to Buddhist scriptures, the Holy King Who Turns the Wheel, like a Buddha, embodies 32 manifestations and seven treasures. He is an ideal king who rules the world by turning the Wheel that rectifies the Dharma through justice instead of by force.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e90269500663.jpg[/atsimg]

edit on 26-4-2011 by Rustami because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by studio500
Yet in the below video David Morisson from NASA says that there is no threat from a solar flare.

So who is making this up?

It seems to me that Michio Kaku is always talking about extreme possibilities, once again he says perhaps......This guy is losing more and more credibility in my opinion. Dr Doom.

Check out the video around 2.45mins, who do you believe?

edit on 25-4-2011 by studio500 because: (no reason given)

Heck Kaku lost all respect from me when he stated in a video that (paraphrasing here) "For those that are against evolving from a Type 0 to Type 1 species, they are the terrorists" in reference to those that essentially resist the NWO/Global Governance which he was eluding to as being required in order for us to go from a Type 0 to a Type 1 or something like that.

Ahhhhh the heck with it, here is the video of him saying it (just got off work and was feeling too lazy to look it up but figured in the end that it would be easier than trying to type up what I needed to in order to get my point across):

"Michio Kaku: 'If You Oppose The NWO You're Probably A Terrorist."

So yea...as far as I am concerned, he showed his TRUE COLORS right there. He was instantly finished in my book and I have yet to ever watch/listen to a single thing he has had to say since...and life still continues
That guy is nothing but another NWO shill...which really sucks because he was one of the few that could do a good job in breaking down confusing crap like quantum physics like nobody else, but it is what it is and he is not to be trusted in my book.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
You guys do know NASA has two satellites orbiting the sun monitoring everything is does and will give earth plenty of warning to shut things off if the sun does something naughty? If the sun does something on a scale that will cause worse damage than that then it really won't matter as humanity will be done anyway...

Each STEREO probe photographs half of the star and beams the images to Earth. Researchers combine the two views to create a sphere. These aren't just regular pictures, however. STEREO's telescopes are tuned to four wavelengths of extreme ultraviolet radiation selected to trace key aspects of solar activity such as flares, tsunamis and magnetic filaments. Nothing escapes their attention.

STEREO NASA Probes

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by jaydeePNW

Except the only warning would likely be these satelites being fried by the CME. How long would it take NASA to discern that this was a threat and not just a satellite malfunction.
Even if the CME only fried the satellite in the path of the flare, the other satellite would likely not see the CME due to line of sight.
So NASA has four days to figure out the "problem" of the downed satellite and then report to the Government, who in turn has to execute its contingency for such an event. And THEN, we have to hope that notifying the public (IE> the people who can shut down and disconnect the power) is on the list of things to do.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I almost thought it might be true and then I saw the link....... UTube.....

Enough said.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mactire
reply to post by jaydeePNW

Except the only warning would likely be these satelites being fried by the CME. How long would it take NASA to discern that this was a threat and not just a satellite malfunction.
Even if the CME only fried the satellite in the path of the flare, the other satellite would likely not see the CME due to line of sight.
So NASA has four days to figure out the "problem" of the downed satellite and then report to the Government, who in turn has to execute its contingency for such an event. And THEN, we have to hope that notifying the public (IE> the people who can shut down and disconnect the power) is on the list of things to do.

If was big enough event to fry these probes Earth would be destroyed anyway. No warning would be needed. Not like these probes are sitting right next to the sun. They are far enough away to record and transmit data long before the event gets to the probes.

Also NASA has other means to watch the sun. Not like thay never thought about the importance of watching the Sun or anything.

NASA Solar Dynamics Observatory

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join