It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Don't Be Alarmed. We're Martians"

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I am reminded of a story from the Mystery Airship reports of the late 1800's, where a person encountered such a ship and spoke to the pilots, who also shared with him some flapjacks/pancakes. I'll try to dig it up out of the archives. Apparently, pancakes are a standard food to take along with you while out flying in your UFO.

See also:

Tom Swift and His Airship

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blue Shift
I am reminded of a story from the Mystery Airship reports of the late 1800's, where a person encountered such a ship and spoke to the pilots, who also shared with him some flapjacks/pancakes. I'll try to dig it up out of the archives. Apparently, pancakes are a standard food to take along with you while out flying in your UFO.

See also:

Tom Swift and His Airship

U.F.Hoecakes.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky
What remains mysterious is why people came forward with accounts that were so bizarre they were unbelievable. [...] What could make people come forward with these claims? Did they fall down the rabbit-hole of anomalous experience or become ‘one-time’ victims of grand hallucinations? Are they all liars, hoaxers and chancers looking for a moment of fame?

The "weird" stories are actually the most interesting to me, as so many of them really appear to make no sense at all. I think that they tell more about the truth of UFOs and aliens than all the other kinds of "plausible" stories put together precisely because they're so odd. Of course, there are the occasional liars and glory hunters, but they're not all like that. Some are just average people with a strange story to tell, with no reason to lie.

It's these stories that lead me to believe that a lot of the whole UFO/alien game has a lot more to do with consciousness and the structure of reality than it does with creatures from other planets. And I think anybody who is absolutely stuck on the alien creatures notion shows both a lack of familiarity with the broader and more obscure encounter reports, as well as a sad lack of imagination.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue Shift

It's these stories that lead me to believe that a lot of the whole UFO/alien game has a lot more to do with consciousness and the structure of reality than it does with creatures from other planets. And I think anybody who is absolutely stuck on the alien creatures notion shows both a lack of familiarity with the broader and more obscure encounter reports, as well as a sad lack of imagination.

I tend to share similar ideas and they're difficult to ignore after a certain point. They don't rule out 'creatures from other planets' or folk from 'elsewhere,' but lead to more pathways for speculating. I suspect too many people are parking their asses behind particular hypotheses and overlooking the strands connecting them.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by WingedBull
They didn't do anything alien, they didn't even look any weirder than having piercing eyes and a very fair complexion. Fair being emphasized for a reason. If this had taken place five-hundred years earlier, we'd be talking about this as an encounter with fairies, not aliens.

Exactly the point. This is what John Keel and Jacques Vallee have been saying for years. We only call them aliens these days because that's the definition we project on them from our own perspective. But we've had this kind of encounter for thousands of years, and continue to have them. They're not so much aliens as they are "others." Things that are partly them, partly us. Things that don't make much logical sense, but happen anyway.

Very interesting.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
That pancake (Simonton case) when analyzed by the U.S. Air Force wasn't *quite* ordinary. It reportedly lacked any trace of salt. Vallee made much of this, pointing to a traditional belief that the beings called 'fairies' couldn't taste salt. So why put it in your pancakes if you can't taste it? &&& A good deal of UFO beings' behavior is seemingly absurd. However, the fact that we wouldn't behave in this way when visiting another planet doesn't really invalidate the extraterrestrial hypothesis. We don't know enough about alien psychologies or cultures, or intentions to say what is normal and what is absurd from their point of view. It may be that our reactions to various stimuli and situations is being assessed. A lab rat made to run through a maze to get its dinner might think human were making a simple thing absurd and complicated. Still, there is a purpose behind it. Based on our current knowledge of the universe, the extraterrestrial hypothesis is still the simplest explanation for the UFO phenomenon. Ross
edit on 26-4-2011 by Ross 54 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Thank you for compiling this list of truly bizarre encounters.

As someone who considers himself well educated, and "respected" among my skeptic friends for my ability to make them at least think open mindedly from time to time, I do believe true life is often stranger than fiction.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by greenfox83
That story of the motorist sounds to me like time traveling. The descriptions of the bikes and helmets seem modern. Our chin straps are not visible when we wear a full head helmet and the motorcycles are bigger, think Harley big. Great story!

At lot of these stories have a kind of time travel-like element to them, and some even include descriptions about things happening in slow motion or outside the confines of ordinary time. And after all, time travel is as good an explanation as any when considering the curious lack of good physical evidence after 60 years of investigation. Either the stuff either vanishes because it is not meant to be in our time, or the travelers simply come back again and get it before it's lost. There's almost no way for so many different excursions to be so foolproof for so long.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by stupid girl
IMO, the only thing they really want to harvest is fear, terror and confusion.

After thinking about this many years, I'm now leaning toward the idea that these strange interactions have something to do with them needing a relatively strong connection with somebody (a strong perception or expectation) in order for them to more fully align themselves or exist within our reality. It's like they need to fashion themselves in some way we can partially understand just to be here, and we help them be real.

And this all ties in with descriptions of UFO propulsion systems and craft that are actually "living extensions" of the pilots. You exist where you perceive yourself to exist. And the craft work to amplify the pilots' perceptions so that they physically/temporally manifest themselves wherever and whenever they want.

It also has to do with conjuring demons and other supernatural entities. You allow them to exist in our reality.

It's not the easiest concept to get, although there is some scientific verification of it when considering virtual/actual quantum states. Hard to nail down, though.

edit on 26-4-2011 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Nobody seems to have thought Simonton was a liar or a hoaxer or a user of drugs. Still, the first thing that occurred to me was Simonton was 60, he might have had a minor stroke which triggered a hallucination.

On the other hand, there is one interesting detail in some accounts of this "pancake" case - an alleged corroborating sighting by one Savino Borgo, insurance salesman:

At about roughly that same time, an insurance agent named Savino Borgo is driving along Highway 70, about a mile from Simonton's farm. He sees what he later describes as a saucer rising diagonally into the air and then flying parallel with the highway.

That can't be a common name in Wisconsin. This search turns up one Savino Borgo aged 100 in Green Bay. Even if he's passed on, he might have children or grandchildren who remember his UFO story - if it is the same man. Alternately, Hynek, NICAP or ARPO may have interviewed him as well.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Great thread OP!

Those stories sure are interesting and they seem true.

I always loved a good UFO story, and those are the stuff.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Or even more crazy... the aliens in the 1800s and the aliens who visited that guy came from the same area of their planet... or are on the same ``research team``... or just heard that ``pancakes`` were awesome on earth.

Maybe aliens are visiting planets to get food samples of all the known universe to make a giant end of times buffet?
It'll be a good buffet, at least there'll be pancakes from earth!

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Great thread, thank you!

I've been looking for new ufo cases that i havent heard of before and everyone that i've just read is new to me!

Very interesting about the pancakes though haha. Never thought of a space-going race having to eat. You would think they would of evolved slightly or just have to take a little pill to give them everything they need.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ross 54
We don't know enough about alien psychologies or cultures, or intentions to say what is normal and what is absurd from their point of view. It may be that our reactions to various stimuli and situations is being assessed. A lab rat made to run through a maze to get its dinner might think human were making a simple thing absurd and complicated. Still, there is a purpose behind it.

It's something to consider. But maybe there is really no purpose to it. One problem we definitely have when thinking about aliens is the way we're stuck within our own range of experiences, and we can't think "alien" enough. To us, the way we think, everything somebody does always has a purpose, even though we don't know what it might be at the moment. To our way of thinking, "on purpose" separates something from being random or accidental. It would be alien for us to think that someone (or entity) does something for no reason at all.

It's like trying to imagine a magnet falling into itself along a fifth dimension. A mental conundrum.

edit on 26-4-2011 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
i dunno, maybe the martians were able to prevent the deaths of the men they were talking about by talking to more prominent people in society/government/agencies instead of letting them die, thus not letting the "prophecy" be fulfilled. there weren't a TON of astronauts back then,, so it was pretty likely who they knew it would be, and were able to help prevent it at least.

oh and as far as the "pancakes" go (which is obviously the closest food item the man could relate to whatever the food was that was offered to him), i think that sharing food is probably the number one gesture of peace and kindness
edit on 26-4-2011 by shagreen heart because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue Shift

In the last 20 years we’ve learned a lot of new things about this phenomenon that contradicts the idea that it is extraterrestrial[s on a mission].
We have too many Close Encounters..... But if they have to study us by landing 100,000 times, they have to be very dumb! That’s approximately the volume of data we have on Close Encounters reports today. If you were to take into account that those tend to occur at night when there are fewer observers, if you extrapolate you would actually get into millions of landings.

Now, it wouldn’t take us millions of landings if there was a civilization on Mars we wanted to study. With something the size of a beer keg in orbit we could get most of the things we needed to know about them, especially if they’d been broadcasting "I Love Lucy" into space for so many years! Then we’d want to land to check some things and get actual samples.....[this would take approximately]a few dozen [to] a few hundred times, but we wouldn’t need millions of landings. So that aspect of it is a contradiction with the idea that it’s an extraterrestrial mission.

The second contradiction is the shape of the beings [which is] uniformly humanoid in shape, somewhat bizarre and weird.... having big eyes and being short with longer arms and so on, but still they have two legs, two arms. They have a torso and eyes that are adapted to exactly the same part of the spectrum as we are.
They don’t walk around with goggles or strange devices on their eyes.
They seem to hear what we hear; they seem to be breathing our air.
That means they’re human or very close to human beings... It’s very unlikely that beings evolving on radically different planets would end up looking like us, breathing our air, seeing the same part of the spectrum that we see. I think the biological statistics are against it.

So you can say, "Well, they are so smart they are using biogenetic engineering to adapt to this planet and its gravity." But then why don’t they just create complete human beings? If you can go 99% of the way, why not 100%, and then you’d be completely undetectable? So I think that’s a serious obstacle to the ET theory.

Another problem with the extraterrestrial hypothesis is the behavior of these beings. The mainstream of UFOlogy today claims that these are wise explorers of the galaxy who are coming here to study us and the proof of that is what they do.
In abductions, for example, they take away human beings. They seem to carry them inside a craft and they draw blood from them. They take samples from them, such as sperm and ova [which seem] like biological experiments...

Well, I think it proves entirely the opposite thing, because the descriptions that are given of the medical examinations are crude to the point of being absurd. If you had this technology, disc-shaped vehicles that could fly silently and appear out of nowhere, paralyze people and remain unnoticed; if you wanted to, you could land on the roof of the Mayo Clinic or any large research hospital and you’d have access to the blood bank, the sperm, bank, the frozen embryo banks.

You could potentially restart the human race with what we know today on Earth [about cloning], yet we have only been doing molecular biology for about fifteen years. It’s a very young science, a new science.
Think about it.
If we can already do this and these beings are supposedly a million years ahead of us, they should be able to perform experiments that would be way beyond what we do.

Instead what people describe is victims coming back with obvious scars.... bleeding...things up their nose....terrible dreams, intense trauma, and they remember under hypnosis!
The whole thing is completely absurd.
... mind control people in the military already have drugs that can make people forget what they did for a week or what they did on Tuesday between 2 and 3, and no hypnotist could simply put them into a trance and recover the memory. So if we already have that kind of drug, a civilization millions of years in advance of us should be able to manipulate both the body and the memory much better.

IMO, this just touches on the tip of the evidencial iceberg, if you will, that their connection to us and what they want from us is more psychological and emotional (for whatever specific reason that may be, which can be debated into oblivion) than spatial, physical and/or material.

In short, I agree with what you said.

Strange Encounters: interview with Jacques Vallee

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky
What remains mysterious is why people came forward with accounts that were so bizarre they were unbelievable. [...] What could make people come forward with these claims? Did they fall down the rabbit-hole of anomalous experience or become ‘one-time’ victims of grand hallucinations? Are they all liars, hoaxers and chancers looking for a moment of fame?

The "weird" stories are actually the most interesting to me, as so many of them really appear to make no sense at all. I think that they tell more about the truth of UFOs and aliens than all the other kinds of "plausible" stories put together precisely because they're so odd. Of course, there are the occasional liars and glory hunters, but they're not all like that. Some are just average people with a strange story to tell, with no reason to lie.

this should be the summary of the entire thread.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLieWeLive

You're thinking of Dian Fossey. Jane Goodall works with chimpanzees.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   

‘Gus’ Grissom and Vladimir Komarov died in 1967 during attempted spaceflight. John Glenn is alive and well. The prophecy failed in terms of ‘within a year,’ failed with John Glenn and probably failed with the unnamed cosmonaut. Was it all-wrong, half-right or the same old BS of any prophecy?

Um was the prophecy within a earth year 365 days, or a Martian year which according to the Google its around 687 days?

Anyways reading this thread makes me hungry for some pan cakes. S@F Always wondered if they have pan cakes on alien civilizations or in space, always wanted to try some sort of space pan cake.

You know we need more people to get abducted by other space aliens other then the grays, they don't even cook anything, just intake there lliquid nourishment/food straight into there skin and into there system, like changing oil in your car or something, at least according to the stories.
Always interesting to hear other alien stories other then the same old abduction/probing alien stories.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
It could be that humans bring a good deal of old psychological baggage to these UFO encounters and abductions. The strong similarity of 'alien abductions' to past accounts of encounters with witches and fairy folk have been noted. Introduction of spikes (probes) into the body is straight out of the age of witchcraft hysteria. Impregnation by the 'devil' or by superhuman entities goes back as far as classical mythology. Missing infants were long attributed to the fairy folk, who were charged with stealing them, just as 'aliens' sometimes are so charged today. Perhaps in extraterrestrial encounters we are caused us to dredge up very vivid, realistic memories of these old stories so that our fears of meeting the 'other' can be examined, understood, dealt with, and overcome. The bizarre medical procedures could be produced by our own minds trying to interpret the old stories in modern terms. They probably don't represent an actual, advanced form of medical or physiological science. That these occur in such great numbers may very well have more to do with our psychological preparation for contact with other intelligent races in the galaxy, rather than the need to gather genetic samples. Ross

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join