It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Riddles I Could Never Answer

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
If you’re flying on a airplane and you walk from the back of the plane to the front, are you traveling faster than the plane?

If your car is traveling at the speed of light and you turn your headlights on what happens?

If you traveled in time and shot your grandfather before your dad was born would you then instantly not exist?

If a black hole is so powerful that not even light can escape then wouldent that make the black holes gravitational pull faster than the speed of light. According to Albert Einstein nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. So what’s happening then?

Maybe some of you here can help me out with these questions or maybe you can add your own mind bending questions

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

If you're on a plane you're not actually physically travelling at that speed... And when you walk forwards on said plane you are travelling at whatever speed you are moving your body forward. You're both moving relative to each others own situation.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   

ON TOPIC: What came first the chicken or the egg? still trying to wrap my head around that one

NOW OFF TOPIC: is that your chevy in your avatar pic?

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   

If a black hole is so powerful that not even light can escape then wouldent that make the black holes gravitational pull faster than the speed of light. According to Albert Einstein nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. So what’s happening then?

Gravity is a force it doesn't really have a speed as such, you dont get pulled down to the earth at the speed of light if you know what I mean, it just that is is so powerful that even light cant escape regardless of the speed its travelling at.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by TechVampyre

Niether, obviously the Rooster came first....bada boom!

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
These are all related to relativity. Walking on a plane traveling at 500 mph, your speed is about 3 mph relative to the plane, 503 mph, relative to the ground, and, say for example, your flying at a latitude of 20°... 974.9747 mph earth's rotation+500mph of plane+3 mph of you-about 1400mph relative to space outside the Earth

The speed of your headlights is relative to your car. At the speed of light, time slows down for you, so your headlights appear normal. To the person watching you, your headlights are visible before you turn them on.

We may never know about your grandfather, since time travel isn't possible yet, but the accepted theory is that you would create another parallel universe, where you don't exist. Also another theory is that you could never travel back to before when the machine was built.

Try not to think of gravity as traveling, more its a depression in space-time. Things, including light, fall into the gravity well.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Originally posted by camaro68ss

1 Yes you would be travelling faster than the plane.

2 The light from the headlights and the car are both travelling at the speed of light but due to time dilation the car would appear to be travelling slower from certain frames of reference.

3 Time is not linear like that. In the timeline antecedent from the dead grandfather, you would never have existed but in the parallel reality where you do exist, you would still exist.

4 Black holes have what is termed the "event horizon". Anything falling into the black hole reaches the speed of light at the event horizon. As far as we can see, the object would stop at the event horizon, but this is due to time dilation. From the objects' perspective, however, it would appear to continue to fall into the black hole. Its view of the universe outside the event horizon is that it would see the outside universe sped up, to the extent that the whole history of the universe would pass before the object met the singularity at the core of the black hole. Again this is a time dilation effect.

edit on 25/4/2011 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by TuXXXeR

I plead ignorance on this one....but aren't you traveling at that speed of the plane? Because if the plane were to stop, you would keep moving.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by chr0naut

Wrap your head around this then....if you did shoot your grandfather and cease to exist who shot your grandfather? You shoot your grandfather, your father isn't born, you aren't born, you don't back in time to shoot grandfather.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by TechVampyre

yeah thats my camaro!

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by TuXXXeR

If you're on a plane you're not actually physically travelling at that speed... And when you walk forwards on said plane you are travelling at whatever speed you are moving your body forward. You're both moving relative to each others own situation.

if the plane was traveling at 900 miles an hour and it came to a complete sudden halt, you'd smash 900 mph into the front of the plane.

if you weren't moving at 900 mph then you wouldn't smash into the front of the plane.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroReady
These are all related to relativity. Walking on a plane traveling at 500 mph, your speed is about 3 mph relative to the plane, 503 mph, relative to the ground, and, say for example, your flying at a latitude of 20°... 974.9747 mph earth's rotation+500mph of plane+3 mph of you-about 1400mph relative to space outside the Earth

The speed of your headlights is relative to your car. At the speed of light, time slows down for you, so your headlights appear normal. To the person watching you, your headlights are visible before you turn them on.

We may never know about your grandfather, since time travel isn't possible yet, but the accepted theory is that you would create another parallel universe, where you don't exist. Also another theory is that you could never travel back to before when the machine was built.

Try not to think of gravity as traveling, more its a depression in space-time. Things, including light, fall into the gravity well.

i also like the example of having a stick from earth to the sun. if you push the stick on earth it would react on the other side "in the sun" instantly. so that would make that action faster then the speed of light. right? because light take 8 min to get here from the sun but a movment of a long stick would be instant. that would make comunication instant between two points if you did it that way
edit on 25-4-2011 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-4-2011 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
1. Yes!

2. The headlights would not work. The car would hit the wall before the light, no matter the distance...

3. Time travel is physically impossible, you can not travel a measure of an effect! Traveling a mile per hour is not the same as traveling an hour per mile....you cannot gain any weight by standing on one leg (bending time is another story - that's more like jumping)

4. It does not need to be faster than light. BTW: Did he ever prove that light was faster than gravity?

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by TaeKwonMoe

Wrap your head around this then....if you did shoot your grandfather and cease to exist who shot your grandfather? You shoot your grandfather, your father isn't born, you aren't born, you don't back in time to shoot grandfather.

The particular universe/s/time line/s collapse into a time-stutter oscillation and are frozen there for all eternity.

(... until God gives them a bump & restarts them minus the problematic bit/s. It's his toy anyway).

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   

What year is it? from what i can see in the pic it looks like a real beauty.. Sorry i love classic cars.. My current project is restoring a ford thunderbird 67'.. Need's a lot of body work.. I just thankful the entire frame was not rusted out when i picked it up..

EDIT TO ADD: sorry for the repeated off-topics.. a u2u would have been surfice..
edit on 25-4-2011 by TechVampyre because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by chr0naut

Originally posted by TaeKwonMoe

The particular universe/s/time line/s collapse into a time-stutter oscillation and are frozen there for all eternity.

(... until God gives them a bump & restarts them minus the problematic bit/s. It's his toy anyway).

Thank/s you for the response/s.
/s
edit on 25-4-2011 by TaeKwonMoe because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-4-2011 by TaeKwonMoe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   

If you’re flying on a airplane and you walk from the back of the plane to the front, are you traveling faster than the plane?

It's relative.

You on the airplane are only walking as fast as you normally walk, relative to the airplane.

To an outside observer, you would appear to be traveling faster than the plane.

If your car is traveling at the speed of light and you turn your headlights on what happens?

The speed of light is a constant. The headlights would appear to function normally.

If you traveled in time and shot your grandfather before your dad was born would you then instantly not exist?

Not necessarily, you could have sex with your grandmother and become your own grandfather, or convince someone else to do it...and thus cause the genesis of your own father. This is called the predestination paradox.

Also, you could be using Multiverse rules. Every choice happens in alternate realities. You go back in time, but merely arriving back in time sends you into a newly created parallel universe. You still exist because your original time-stream was never disrupted, you entered a different past than your own. If you killed your grandfather, it would only be an alternate version of him. You however might have just killed your alternate future self.

If time is a single linear stream, then yes. You would cease to exist as soon as you killed your grandfather.

Einstein never believed in Black Holes. He could never quite say why though. I think he showed incredible intuition, since Black Holes are getting proven more and more fictional everyday.

Basically Black Holes are a prime example of science gone crazy. Man will never figure them out, because they are totally ridiculous.

It's scientific dogma, but it's sexy and scary and gets grant money.

Sorry, I have no real clever answer for you. I genuinely believe Black Holes are so much hot air.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Oh yeah... Heheh... Sorry, hence 'fasten seat belts' Sorry, im from the future where we have inertial dampeners. But it's still relative as another poster stated also... If you were outside the plane flying alongside you'd be going that speed but you're not. You're in a compressed cabin. I don't know the science just a theory...

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Byteman

Black holes have been observationally confirmed (invisible object, vast gravitational effect shown by lensing and orbits of other objects and hawking radiation) but the theory of their genesis is simple and mathematically consistent. I believe that black holes do exist.

There are some people who still believe in a flat earth.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
if you push the stick on earth it would react on the other side "in the sun" instantly. so that would make that action faster then the speed of light. right? because light take 8 min to get here from the sun but a movment of a long stick would be instant. that would make comunication instant between two points if you did it that way

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join