Originally posted by poet1b
I think Obama's appointment of Petraeus to Director of the CIA is the best move of his presidency. If anyone is in a position to wrestle control of power from the current PTB, Petraeus is the guy.
With Panetta in as Sec of Def and Petraeus at the CIA, the Obama admin might actually succeed in being in charge, which is something I don't think Clinton ever achieved.
From my understanding Petraeus is a person who believes in the U.S., and might be the lion we need to restore our democracy, and stand up to the Fed Res and the ICs who have taken over.
Originally posted by Hessling
Folks, I’ve been politically passionate for many years. During this time I’ve seen scandals, bad decisions, foreign misadventures, economic crisis’s and so forth. While it is easily understood America is far from perfect, what has been going on the last 10+ years is nothing short of insanity.
This Can't Be Happening In America
1) At war in 3 nations, each of which it attacked and 2 of which it occupies.
2) Runs secret torture cells on some of its distant military bases and contracts out other torture, while it also runs "kill teams" where it chooses. It even has a private army of highly paid "contractors," little of which it discloses to the American people.
3) Seizes people it deems terrorists, those it doesn't kill, and locks them up indefinitely, in many cases no charges, no trials, no rule of law.
4) Censors its wars from the American people, many of whom are indifferent to the suffering our beloved nation is causing. U.S. news media often cooperates with the government but not WikiLeaks nor Aljazeera but most Americans ignore it. No military draft, no interest.
5) Censors even the horrors its wars cause its own soldiers and their families. Once again, the U.S. news media often cooperates telling few stories or sharing few pictures, making these people largely invisible, left to bear their pain in silence and in a cloak of secrecy.
6) Once the greatest manufacturing powerhouse the world had ever seen, most U.S. manufacturing has been shipped overseas. But there still is a sizable amount of U.S. manufacturing as the government contracts with manufacturers to build weapons of mass destruction and deadly delivery systems such as jet fighters and drones in most Congressional Districts across America. All at taxpayer's expense.
7) Because of reckless government spending and huge trade deficits, the U.S. dollar which was long the gold standard of currencies is now so weak, many investors prefer gold or even other currencies as the dollar sinks in value.
8) Once the U.S. ran the greatest financial surpluses since the British Empire was at its peak. Now it is the world's biggest debtor nation running a borrowing and printing Ponzi Scheme to pay its bills.
9) Standard & Poor's, a globally respected credit rating agency threatened to downgrade the U.S.'s debt securities, the first step at what could lead in stages to having it declared "Junk." That would send interest rates through the stratosphere, making it cost prohibitive for home mortgages and small business borrowing and destroying the value left in the dollar. Newport Beach, CA based Pimco, the world's largest bond investor has already sold off its holdings in U.S. government debt.
10) To sustain and expand its military machine, the U.S. government would sacrifice Medicare, Medicaid, its educational system, its police and fire protection and other programs that bring quality of life to its citizens and protect its children and its poor and frail.
I’ve watched these events unfold right in front of my eyes and feel as though I’m in a car accident whereby everything turns to slow-motion and I feel powerless to do anything other than accept the inevitable.
I used to “fight” by voting in every election. However, it seems as though our elected leaders no longer care about us. Recently elections just seem like re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. Also, there is very little doubt that the media is not doing the job they were intended to do.
For those of you who have been politically awake for years, I’d like to know your take on this. Perhaps you’d like to add to this list?
Younger friends of mine do not understand why I’m freaking out over current events. They consider it “normal”.
Perpetual war…Wall Street bailouts…rampant unemployment…rich vs. poor gap reaching preposterous levels…sky rocketing inflation despite government numbers stating there is no inflation…blatantly illegal actions taken by elites with absolutely no repercussions forthcoming.
Damn it! This is NOT normal.
I simply want to know how in the heck we reached this point and within a breathtakingly short span of time in relation to our history? Do you think we can ever go back and restore our honor?
(MODS: I took my best guess on Forum selection. Please feel free to move as necessary.)
Originally posted by lightyears
reply to post by poet1b
Hello Poet1b. In Holland we are basically go the other way around now if compared to the USA. After several left wing (some call it socialist) governments, we have now probably the must right winged government we have had in decades. A favour is that in Holland we have at least many different political parties to chose between at elections (10 in total).
I agree what is said in this thread, that in a democracy it is essential that the people who vote have to feel a responsibility and have to know what's going on. With many ignorant voters every democracy is doomed. Unfortunately it looks like that on the entire planet ingnorance is on the arise. I think that it has also to do with the media. A lot of people don't understand how powerful the media is today. The media is everywhere. TV, internet, radio, newspapers. And unfortantely the quality of much of the media is pretty bad.. The media just goes for it's own sake and for a higher number number of viewers and readers (profit and commercial interests is more important to them than covering what is really happening).
Originally posted by Hessling
reply to post by Odin2305
How's that saying go?
Never let a good crisis go wasted?
Very little doubt to me that 90+% of this crap is engineered. With the contingency planned well ahead of actual need, naturally.
edit on 27-4-2011 by Hessling because: ETA