It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

T.V is the Devil!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   

No but seriously..

I recently decided to watch a bit of T.V for a couple-few hours a day over the past week or so. What I have noticed is that the programming schedule is as lame as ever, no surprise there...

But the 'In your face stupidity' quality of the advertisement breaks has gotten even worse. Adverts that leave me feeling like a vegatable after watching them, adverts that leave me feeling violated after watching them and just generally really intrusive bits of rhetoric that leave me feeling like I somehow need this product for the life of me, even know I know I DON'T.

Don't let your kids watch this filth. Sure let them watch cartoons but turn the adverts off when they come on. Whether you like it or not, these adverts have effects on peoples minds and turn you into a materialistic slug whose main quality seems to be jealousy, greed and envy.

I mean heck, even the cartoons and kids T.V shows in general have gone completely downhill. Seriously, watch kids T.V shows nowadays then watch something you used to watch as a kid. The difference in quality and morals is AMAZING. And its not a positive change. Its easy enough to find old shows on the internet, why not let your kids watch cartoons you used to watch instead of this spoon fed bull***t nowadays that doesn't aid in the ability of self thinking and curiosity.

Look at the state of children and society in general nowadays. I blame the media. The least you can do is provide your kids with 'Better' Media. (To use the term loosely)

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
i would suggest watching "Grandpa in my pocket" and "Rasta mouse". These kids programmes are quite good but I suppose they aint got nothing on g1 transformers.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
The days of "educational" children's programs i would say is long gone, I feel bad for anyone that subjects them self to the garbage they air these day's..

Good post S&F!

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I'm guessing we are talking about here in the U.K.

I agree completley that advertising is not good but I think for children it's not as bad as it used to be. When I was a kid they would have hundreds of toy ads, chocolate ads,cereals, mcdonalds etc in the mornings between cartoons and after school. They arn't aloud to do that now which is great.

I don't see what else companies can do though to get noticed, even if it's a really rubbish ad you've noticed it. Like the cillit bang adverts were so in your face bad it got the company noticed and made it a 'household name'

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I suggest eliminating cable all together, then hook the main tv up to a computer
you can then hand craft your viewing through various places for whatever it is you want...most channels have episodes you can watch online (in high def), then there are places like hulu (sure, commercials there, but typically 1 or 2 max verses endless streams between breaks).

It would be a interesting thread for someone to post down where to find all the pop channels series for free so a person whom say, watches man verses wild, maybe stargate universe, and lots of discovery can goto without needing to pay the cable company for them.

Actually, I am suprised that the computer hasn't already overtaken the standard livingroom entertainment system.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

I think about this topic quite a bit. My kid is eight, and likes Sponge Bob, which I can't stand because of the annoyance factor. Other than that, the show seems mostly wholesome with positive messages. There are a few questionable innuendos, but mainly they would go over his head.

He also likes Mad, The Regular Show, and Adventure time. These also have some questionable items (language, adult themes, etc.), but mainly , they are funny to him. I'm glad he has a sense of humor.

When I compare it to Tom and Jerry, or a lot of other Hanna Barbera (sp?) toons, I see that growing up , my sister and I were indeed purveyors of the 'ol ultra violence, which my son also adores.

I think the biggest problem I'm seeing is the way kids are talking to each other these days. Semms like the language is downright nasty all the time. Don't get me wrong, we were prickish as kids, but I don't remember being as sophisticated in my abilities to insult other kids.

Seriously though, you are right.

T.V is the devil.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadyTrick

I don't see what else companies can do though to get noticed,

Oh, I am sure they will find a new way of advertising. One thing that never stops is the scheming of the marketing department on how to flash their brands in front of people.

This post was brought to you by:
Doritos. Crunch all you want, We'll make more.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Nothing beats having a hard drive plugged to your tv system. We can cut all the ads! In fact, we start watching the programs 15 minutes after it begins, skip all the ads and we finish it live!

My children are also discovering old cartoons and old movies. At first, they thought it looked and sounded funny, but now, they can see how a good script and talent can make a world of differences. After that, they tell their friends and encourage them to be a bit more critical in their choices.

But yes, overall, tv is lousy and evil at times. We watch a lot of docu, and try to be with the kids when we go tv mode. They can ask lots of questions on what we see, and helps in keeping us all close together. ( But tv isn't the only thing we do!!!
)

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
The thing I find very offensive are advertisements that are aimed at tweens and teens. Often the inherent message is that "you won't fit in" or "you won't be cool" if you don't use or have our product. The whole ad is set up with a group of supposed cool kids and another kid that realizes just how wonderful life is once they have the product. They know they have an audience that is heavily swayed by peer pressure, and they hammer on it.

The other area of ads that bug me are the ads from the US from drug companies. Again, the ads are always trying to say, if you don't have our pill (quick run to your doctor and ask for it!) you just aren't getting the whole meal deal. The doctor who traditionally would be the one that would diagnose you, is now delegated to an order taker status.

Sadly, there has been a great deal of research on this, and many companies now hire psychologist to hit the part of the brain that can be best massaged for greater effect.
edit on 25-4-2011 by Ultraman2011 because: spelling error

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

Didn't you know the programs are only there so you'll watch the advertisements?

Be a good little consumer now....

get your daily dose of brainwashing...

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I was at a seminar last week and, get this: Their was a reporter/movie reviewer giving a presentation. During this presentation he told the audience that Jay Leno and George Clooney (along with 5 writers) spend 5 hours rehearsing their ad lib back and forth. The reason? One of the sponsors was a cat food company and they had to come up with a bit about cats....so it would lead well into the commercial!

new topics

top topics

join