It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Georgia nuclear reactor idled unexpectedly still shut down

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

They send those guys to two years of school strictly for the purpose of learning how not to overpower the reactor and sometimes they still end up doing just that.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by rreeves5

Well when it does happen, don't be surprised. Those guys are not as competent as the image they try to uphold.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Even if they were the most professional and safe people on the planet mistakes still happen. When you are dealing with nuclear energy even a little mistake can end up huge. huge

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by mch1247

Thanks mch1247. You have some very good "inside information" the public never hears about.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
They are trying to kill me with radon poisoning.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

I would definitely go with 4 hrs of electricity per day. I have never
felt comfortable with nuclear power.

I read yesterday (I was in a hurry and scanning news) that
there is another plant in the US besides Ga that had
a problem and shut down a couple of reactors. Don't quote me
on this - I will try to find the info.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Here is one in NY - seems reactor shut down on its own.

hisz.rsoe.hu...

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
What concerns me more is since the Fukushima "accident",the news has been reporting more such incidents here in the United States.Just last week I believe there were two plants that experienced shutdowns in Virginia,and the news of it was easily found.Before that I never heard a peep about anything concerning Nuclear plants here in the states.Almost seems as if we are being conditioned to accept the fact that soon something of that nature will happen here.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   
I've lost count of all the reactors which have acted strangely or been shut down or which have failed to start over the last few months. I've heard reports of reactors all over the world being shut down or their start-up being delayed.

I reckon stuxnet or one of its siblings.

I think the only way nuclear power could possibly be tolerated is if they are built inside a mountain with a mile-long pit for the fuel to be dropped into if something goes wrong, with enough lead and boron to cover it so it cools down.

But regardless I'd only accept nukes if they went away from processors and used logic systems instead. Now that there are some criminally insane people who brag about how they can cause nukes to meltdown, pipelines to blow up and cause other mayhem to massive infrastructure, computers simply aren't safe enough any more.

I'm against nukes now because as far as I know none of them are safe enough.

* TEPCO probably (likely) didn't want to drop boron and lead on their stricken reactors in Fukushima because they wanted to save a few bucks and salvage the expensive fuel. Their methods failed and now TEPCO has lost its nukes and countless people are going to DIE!

All nukes need to be shut down as fast as possible now and never started again. And I'm happy with four hours of electricity a day as well!

We should learn to live with less power by making equipment more efficient instead of going the other way and trying to generate more power all the time.

(Off soapbox).

* I post on GAIJINPOT. It's a forum for foreigners in Japan. I have recently been banned twice from there and I don't think there's any point in going back because it'll most likely happen again.

Both times I was banned must have been because I was posting stuff which the J government doesn't like broadcasted. I'm pretty careful with my posts there and I've seen at least two others who have been banned and all of us who got banned were extremely polite in the face of heaps of personal abuse. We tolerate it because we want to warn people - not unnecessarily alarm them.

Clearly some board administrators are being seen to toe the government's line. You are of course aware the J gov has formed a new department specifically to try to prevent the disclosure of info they want kept secret, aren't you.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by richaado
I've lost count of all the reactors which have acted strangely or been shut down or which have failed to start over the last few months. I've heard reports of reactors all over the world being shut down or their start-up being delayed.

I reckon stuxnet or one of its siblings.

Something much more sinister, more efficient, difficult to detect and eliminate, adapts to specific proprietary system software, coding and can break and/or work through encryption, works independent of any networks and can render any system either inoperative or perpetually malfunctioning.

Nah, that is impossible... Or is it?
edit on 7-5-2011 by Fractured.Facade because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join