It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gas Prices at $3.88 per gallon Nationally

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I started riding my bicycle about 1.5 years ago. So far, i haven't missed my car. There are many small places i can go locally and it is only 6 miles to my job.

At first, i thought about how i was going to get into shape, and how i would save money on gas. But, as time went on, other benefits began to show up.

No Taxes (no gas, no road, no registration, no sales tax)
No Insurance
No fuel budget
No chance of having a GPS attached to my bike without my knowledge.
No to very little maintenance.
No hassle finding a place to park.

Life is simpler though transportation requires more planning now.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
You guys think you have it tough ... try $11.76 a gallon....

... just had enough of it here on GB ..

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
You have to look at the Big Picture...The Plan,all along,has been to break the Midle Class...the drones,the lowers,live off the government teat anyway...the uppers,the rich,dont care what gas,or anything else,costs....its the Middles that any sort of price increase affects....when your gas costs to get to work and shop goes up,so does anything that uses gas to get it to a store....so if you pay X amount of your pay in taxes,and X in food/shelter/clothing/gas/utilities etc,then what you have left is your disposable income...your eat out money,movie money etc....when gas goes up,what you have left goes down/away and they have you by the balls...you are too caught up in staying above the zero/negative line,you cant cause them trouble...when you go negative,you are then one of the drones....and the number of drones goes up every day...and gas is heading for 6.00 a gallon,not 4...they knew that too but just help it off to ease it into you slowly

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
FYI, where I shop here for groceries locally, at home there is a bonus plan, if I use my card on every purchase I get a substantial discount on all groceries that I buy, and if I fill up there and use my card I get a discount on gas.

Today I filled up my car for $30, and my discount was $.80 cents per gallon.

Look around people, there are ways.

By the way I use Smiths/Kroger card and shop there regularly.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by GalacticJoe
I started riding my bicycle about 1.5 years ago. So far, i haven't missed my car. There are many small places i can go locally and it is only 6 miles to my job.

At first, i thought about how i was going to get into shape, and how i would save money on gas. But, as time went on, other benefits began to show up.

No Insurance
No fuel budget

Life is simpler though transportation requires more planning now.

Thats fine and dandy but in the real world for most of us that doesn't help. Example those of us with kids and families, those of us who live in areas where we receive snow of any amount, and how do you get big purchase items home? Probably have to pay for delivery as when I go even grocery shopping hauling enough food for a family of five a bike aint gonna cut it.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
$3.88 a gallon? Quit whining. I'd LOVE to pay $3.88 or even $4.50 a gallon.

We're at over $6/ gallon in Canada and they're at over $9 a gallon in Europe.

USA is the world's biggest per capita user of gasoline and has some of the cheapest prices in the world.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   

edit on 25-4-2011 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Not so bad. Here in Canada it's close to $6/gal. AND we're an oil producing nation. AND our dollar is worth more than the Greenback at the moment. We're REALLY getting screwed.

Yep I just filled up today with premium and it was $1.49 a litre here in Southern Ontario and we crack the oil here to make gas.
Regular was $1.39 a litre so hell yes its climbing to astronomical levels here.
This was at an ESSO\ Imperial oil station.
For us its a two way street as the wife works at the refinery here so she is paid well but they are getting all her pay back at the pumps. Well our Government is getting the most via taxes but still no matter who dings us we are getting dinged bad right now.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
reply to post by jjkenobi

Prices aren't ever going to really go down. They're see-sawing up and down with a steady increase - they start at $3.50 a gallon, then spike up to $4.50, then we think prices have gone down when they level out for a month at $3.85.

Exactly. They're conditioning us.

They drastically increase the price of oil whenever there's an event that can be labeled as a "cause."

When the prices drop back down a few weeks later, nobody seems to care about paying $3.50 a gallon (as opposed to the $3.25 price tag before the initial spike), because it seems a heck of a lot better than four bucks.

For example:

$2.99 a gallon --> Hurricane Katrina --> $3.75 a gallon --> Media coverage of Katrina dies out --> $3.25 a gallon

Hope that makes sense. I pulled an all-nighter last night studying for finals, so I haven't been able to articulate myself very well today!

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies
$3.88 a gallon? Quit whining. I'd LOVE to pay $3.88 or even $4.50 a gallon.

We're at over $6/ gallon in Canada and they're at over $9 a gallon in Europe.

USA is the world's biggest per capita user of gasoline and has some of the cheapest prices in the world.
Im afraid I dont get your drift...if we use so much,then by your reasoning we have to pay more?..Because we live in America we should be punished?...Sounds like tank envy to me

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by cabinda
You guys think you have it tough ... try $11.76 a gallon....

... just had enough of it here on GB ..

Originally posted by intrepid
Not so bad. Here in Canada it's close to $6/gal. AND we're an oil producing nation. AND our dollar is worth more than the Greenback at the moment. We're REALLY getting screwed.

Here in France, it's between $7.7 and $9.5/gal... and is expected to reach $11.5 sooner or later...

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Control is control,no matter how you go abou it...when the crunch comes,hungry people will stand in line for a meal,eat it,go home untl meal time,stand in line to get anpother one...how much mischief can you get into of you are where they KNOW you will be....and who guards you OTW to and from mealtime?..and who guards your house?..Soemone who wont get to eat bcause you cant drawrations for another?...Control is control no matter how you describe ite

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   

No Insurance
No fuel budget

You think you've outsmarted the system but you fail to realize that the price of gasoline is what is called a currency sink. It is one method of extracting the economic lifeblood out of citizens. Your heating bill is another method. If that sink is plugged they will open a new sink which will cover the most people. Why do you think they've been throwing around the idea of a national tax on distance traveled instead of (or in addition to) gallons of gasoline sold? That way, no matter what fuel you choose to consume (be it oil or food) you get taxed.

You can run, but you cannot hide from this group of corrupt politicians.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ararisq

No Insurance
No fuel budget

You think you've outsmarted the system but you fail to realize that the price of gasoline is what is called a currency sink. It is one method of extracting the economic lifeblood out of citizens. Your heating bill is another method. If that sink is plugged they will open a new sink which will cover the most people. Why do you think they've been throwing around the idea of a national tax on distance traveled instead of (or in addition to) gallons of gasoline sold? That way, no matter what fuel you choose to consume (be it oil or food) you get taxed.

You can run, but you cannot hide from this group of corrupt politicians.
Agree....100%

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Hmm this will be off topic, but in Poland we pay 5.19zł per liter of diesel, that is ~ $1.8 per liter, that translates roughly to $6.8 per gallon (US) and it's still rising. That and considering we are being payed less... And that is not the worst... electricity has risen too

But let's be honest here... in my country 65% of that price is tax. Don't know how it's in the US.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ChicagOpinion

I just filled up. Gosh, for a little less than eight gallons, it was like 33.00 bucks! I was tempted to take a picture, but I realized I would never want to remember such a disgusting moment!

It's just money though. How I look at it.

I am glad I am only a teenager who drives to school and friend's houses on the weekends. I am feeling for everyone struggling, keep it clean!

EDIT: I realize that other people have much, much higher prices. I am grateful to have a decent mode of (cheap?) transportation. I wonder what will happen to the expensive locations when gasoline hits 6.00 by August this year?
edit on 04/18/11 by WillNiendick because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by WillNiendick

It won't be "just money" when you're out of high school or out from under your parents wings. I used to think that way to. Eventually you will see the true face of money. It IS evil.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
To answer the Original question of "What will be done about rising fuel costs?", the answer is NOTHING. It is a catch 22 for all of us. If we keep using fuel as normal (paying 4.20 a gallon like we are in San Diego), then that becomes the norm. Big Oil companies assume that if we are willing to pay 4.20, then 5 bucks isnt much more to ask to keep them in private jets and billion dollar life styles. Alas, prices continue to rise.

On the flip side. If everyone buys a bike, walks or takes the bus. Then the demand for crude oil goes down, when that happens, supplies are conversly cut. Economics 101 tells us that less supply and less demand means prices will drop. BUT, this is not your economics 101 class at USC, this is Big Oil. They will charge more for what is actually on the market to compensate for their projected loss in revenue, this dispite 14 consecutive quarterly gains in a recession/depression. Alas, prices still continue to rise. The US has actually CUT its demand by a few % points, but countries like China and India are more than absorbing our small % of dropped demand. So good luck even knowing what the true Supply and demand numbers are.

And dont give me "speculation" as the main reason for high costs. It might contribute on some level but the word "speculation" should be synonymous with the phrase "price fixing" because thats all it is.

The solution is 2 fold...Either drill more in the States to rid ourselves of dependency. Or find an alternative fuel source I.E. electric or biofuel. We all know how Americans LOVE the electric/hybrid car (Sarcasim), but one day we are going to hate paying at the pump a lot more than we hate the idea of owning an electric car.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I found this chart interesting
Historical Prices - US Average vs. Crude Oil

We are almost at the same average prices as the last time gas went up like this. Except this time oil is much lower than previously. Well when it becomes so expensive a lot of people cut back on consumption so naturally the crude oil price should drop back down once that happens. Except now you have Saudia Arabia saying there is an excess supply on the market so its cutting back (to keep prices artificially high?).
I also believe speculation also has a part to do in this. Especially when people are using leverage.

Usually gas prices peak in the summer though, so we have quite some time before it stops rising. I wouldn't be surprised to see $5 gas this summer.

What really drives up the cost of gasoline is the refineries. Supposedly they can't build any more so we are stuck with what we have. So when demand goes higher it becomes a bottleneck and prices just increase accordingly.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
just gonna go up when summer hits

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join