It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOOD cops BAD cops, Share Your stories, videos, opinions...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Drama is not welcome here!

Just candid conversation, information, videos and opinions.. Good or bad, or a mix of both.

This thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Is a fine example of how a polarizing subject can go all wrong, from the start. And the now deleted thread that was the opposite of the above was even worse.

We need a balanced place to discuss both sides of this issue, without the censorship, or exclusion of one or the other... As long as everything is posted within the rules in the Terms and Conditions of ATS, which you all agreed to then there should be no problems here.

Please, refrain from discussing site staff actions in the other threads, this isn't the place for that.

This is a thread where if any of you want to discuss the good that law enforcement does, or the bad that they do, you are welcome here... Your posts will not be deleted for being either pro or con, for or against, good or bad.

So, what do you think about law enforcement in general?

Have any personal experiences to share?

Links, news reports, videos, downloads, conspiracies, corruption, abuses, heroes, good cops, bad cops... ???

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade
Drama is not welcome here!

We need a balanced place to discuss both sides of this issue, without the censorship, or exclusion of one or the other... As long as everything is posted within the rules in the Terms and Conditions of ATS, which you all agreed to then there should be no problems here.

So, what do you think about law enforcement in general?

for about 10-20 years cops have stopped protecting & serving people. Now they serve only their employers wich is the state.

when some gov spend hundreds of tousands of dollars
to reinsert police in the community it makes me laugh.

I just wont sit on a bench park next to a cop who has tickets quotas to give every week
isn't it sad at the same time ?
About the above mentioned thread, it reminds me of an elephant walking in a porcelain store.

edit on 25-4-2011 by SSimon because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-4-2011 by SSimon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I've got several stories of bad cops, but here is one about a really good cop. When I was 20 years old I got a MIP/MIC. I was arrested,tried,and put on probation. Naturally I skipped out on probation. Five years later without getting in trouble with the law, I get this knock on the door.Ms.So and So we have a warrant for your arrest. Well I was 8 months pregnant at the time. In all rights I should have went to jail that day but instead, the officer told me he would pick me up tomorrow for court. Not only did he pick me up for court , he talked to the judge and prosecuting attorney so that I was the first person on the docket. I spent a hour in court instead of all day because this Police Officer went out of his way to make things easy on me. I ended up with fines and community service which was awesome. I'll never forget how that cop helped me out. Pregnancy sucks and being in jail would have sucked worse.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I have encountered a few genuine good people who just happen to be in law enforcement, and those few earned my trust and respect for who they are not what they do in their jobs... Like any career there is good and bad, but there is no career that can fully corrupt, be abused and provide a kind of godlike infectious power over others that it can completely change good people into bad like any career in law enforcement.

Those who manage to avoid corruption and abuse of their powers throughout their careers, or better yet fight that abuse and corruption deserve our praise, admiration and respect... Without them, those precious few, imagine how much worse things could be.

I've been involved in the past with a few good people in Law Enforcement, those good people tried to help, and were nearly successful, two of them are now dead, one in prison and another gone over to the "dark side" of corruption. There isn't any way to fight it, prove it or anything that can be done about it. Where corruption rules supreme there is no room for the good guys.

Good police exist, they do many good things every day... There are true heroes in law enforcement, many have made the ultimate sacrifice to honor their call to protect and serve, YES there really are good guys and gals in Law enforcement!

There just isn't enough of them.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I was thinking of starting a thread about peoples experiences with people before they became cops.

I knew three guys before they became cops , the first one would beat up his girlfriend quite regulary , she almost always had black eyes and bruises. He also rode a motorcycle and rode around coming up behind female bike riders and would grab a hand full of a$$ and then ride off. He became a motorcycle officer.
Another one would go to partys and open the bathroom window and made sure he had a clear view of the toilet, then go outside the window and drink beer, he also worked at a gas station and would climb into the attic above the ladies room for a free show. I don't think any one knows how many minors he's had sex with. The third one was a racist and loved beating up blacks and mexicans, he has been fired from three P.D. but he always gets hired by another one.
This is why cops generally don't don't keep their old friends and don't list many old friends on their references.

I know other people have stories about their friends pre cop years, please share them.

My personal experiences with cops is another set of storys.
edit on 25-4-2011 by OLD HIPPY DUDE because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by OLD HIPPY DUDE

My personal experiences with cops is another set of storys.

Don't be shy, your stories are welcome here.

Your posts will not be deleted from this thread, unless you clearly violate the site terms and conditions.

I have to believe that ATS, site owners and staff are not biased when it comes to law enforcement, to take a side on this issue, or to even display potential for bias on these issues seems to contradict everything this site is portrayed to be all about.

I refuse to believe that there is any overt or intentional bias when it comes to law enforcement, or a general position on this in the site staff and ownership here.. It just can't be, not here at ATS... Opinions etc. on the other hand, everyone has one, regardless of their status here...

I'd also like to hear some opinions, stories etc. from the site staff as well, after all they are members too, and were before they were selected to be staff members.

ATS should be all about balanced discussions, civility and decorum, not censorship.

The world needs to see things from all perspectives... Not only from one... And certainly not the way someone wants their world to be, despite all evidence to the contrary.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Keepandbeararms.com has a section dedicated to cop news.

Every day the page fills with cops stealing, raping, lying, killing, etc...

And those are just the ones who get caught.

The saddest thing is that in most of those articles fellow cops and superior officers are defending the actions outright or making excuses as to why it's not as bad as we all "civilians" think it is.

I got a cop story from the range this weekend. Long story short, of the three who showed up to compete one was respectful, safe and good. The other two were unsafe as hell keeping the SO's pissed all day and terrible and nervous shots.

The one good one was just a part-time cop. The two full time were told if they didn't fix their attitudes and firearms handling they weren't invited back.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Most of my friends rode motorcycles, one night we were at a local park , some kid in another group had daddys car . I don't know why the cops started in with this kid , but he ended up cuffed in the back seat of a cruiser. Well the kid started mouthing off and the next thing you know there is a cop in the back seat of the cruiser beating up this handcuffed kid. This kid was left bleeding and wimpering.

Another time me and the guys were at the dirtbike races.There was another young kid with two cute girls sitting behind us. The boy was drunk and could hardly stand up but the girls were taking care of him. Next thing there are these two suits coming up the bleachers, one of them grabs this kid by his shirt collar picks him up from his seat and slams him down on the bleachers , knees down on the kids chest , slapping him in the face and tells him he's going to jail.
I got up went over and asked what the F@#$ they were doing? Both guys pulled out their badges and said they were cops. And I said I didn't care, that they were making a bigger scene than he was, and that he was no threat to anyone in his condition. They got off the kid and told the girls to take him home. When I turned around to walk away, there were about 30 people behind me. I don't know who was more shocked me or the cops.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Anyone remember Ron Settles? He was a college football player in Long Beach , Calif who was going Pro. in the early 80's. that supposedlly hung himself in the Signal Hill P.D. for a traffic stop.
I was on my lunch break, I was riding my motorcycle to go cash my pay check when I came upon Settles being stopped.Well as usual the cop was making the bigger scene. I could hear him yelling and screaming at Settles, over the sound of my bike,( I had gotten several tickets for my bike being to loud) Settles looked under control but the cop didn't. I wondered if I should stop, I looked around and there was a woman at the bus stop across the street from the stop so I being on my lunch break and there already being a witness I drove on.
Bad mistake on my part. Next day the local news reported Settles hung himself in his jail cell.
After what I saw , I say B.S.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I think all public servants should be polygraphed and drug tested every year.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ISRAELdid911

I believe that all new recruits are given mandatory drug tests and polygraphs, and an extensive background check, and I believe there are random tests, court ordered tests and other situations where both are required of longer term officers, detectives and agents in law enforcement based on numerous situations and circumstances.

If anyone would be able to get around this or pass it while hiding the truth, corrupt cops would, especially in a corrupt department or agency.

I believe most recruits are screened and found to be clean, if they go forward, and eventually become "virgin" Law Enforcement officers, they are then prime candidates for the influences of corruption, from there they can choose to be a good cop or a bad cop. Sometimes the wrong choice can be dangerous, career ending or worse.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Nothing But Horrid Experiences Whilst Dealing With Police..

The one thing that really takes the piss out of me is 'Speeding Tickets'.. i've never been stopped for a 'Speeding Violation' but is going Ten miles per hour over the speed limit worth a bloody ticket?

should not the 'Police' be on the watch for 'Bigger Offenses'

it's all 'Scare Tactics' and 'Control' and they shall do it in whichever possible way

whilst driving on the 'Free Way' i counted 13 police parked on the side of the road waiting to get their 'Easy Ticket Quota'... are we to truly believe that they shouldn't be worrying about 'Bigger Offenses'

those that are going to 'Break The Speed Limit' are going to do it regardless if it's '65' or '35' so for those that go '75' why should we get punished?

for those that claim 'Traffic Endangerment' are we not able to make rational decisions and if we see traffic clogging up ahead to naturally slow down?

The same can be said for 'Seat Belt Violations' should we not choose over our own life? if don't want to wear a seat belt innit our choice?

One last point..

shouldn't the 'Police' follow the laws themselves and lead by example?

when you view a police man turning on his flashers to run a red light.. or going far over the 'Speed Limit' and a complete abuse of power.. how should we respect them?

Quick Story:

Whilst driving me brother and sister in the 'Carpool Lane' going the speed limit a 'SUV' swerved behind me across the 'Double Yellows' and was tailgating me... so i kept viewing my mirrors.. then out of nowhere his 'Flashers' turn on.... now i wont cross over the double yellows and get another citation on top of the one he is apt to give me.. so i put my blinker on to signal acknowledgment.. then he pulls up almost flush against the car and starts the siren... then he starts slowing down and speeding up almost ramming my car.. not actually making contact but close enough.. i look again into the mirror and he is mouthing 'Get The F***' over' and waving his hands.. so i cross the double yellows.. and he speeds up turns off his sirens and his lights..

now for those that say he was on 'Call' and needed me to move out of the way.. the 'Free Way' was clear and he could have easily gotten over and passed me

there was absolutely no reason for his actions..

i despise 'Police' for the abuse of power and their lack of actual 'Protection'

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
My old buddies that became cops were well informed on what they would have to go through to get hired, the questions that would asked and how to respond, even for the mental evaluation, It's a brotherhood !

And as for cops breaking the law, citys countys and states grant the right to LEO to break the law to enforce the law.

Come on people speak up, you all know some jerks in your lives who grew up and became cops.
Are you afraid to speak up or are you that blind that you don't see what goes on around you ?

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Here's my GOOD cop story, and I think it's a strong contender for "Coolest Cop Story Ever".

Once, I was driving with my girlfriend on the freeway here in Vegas, and the registration on my car was expired. I knew it was expired, and fully intended to renew it as soon as I had the money for it, but I had made the (stupid) decision to go ahead and drive the car anyway, knowing that I also had a couple of traffic tickets that were not yet paid off. Anyway, I was just a few exits away from my exit, and I noticed a black and white coming up behind me. I stayed calm and changed to the next lane. The cop stayed in the adjacent lane for a second, still a few car lengths behind me, and then moved into my lane. I started to panic a little, and changed back into the far right lane (which I had just been in prior to noticing the cop). He followed suit, and promptly put his lights on. I pulled over, thinking that there was no way I was going to talk my way out of this one, put my hazards on, and turned the car off.

The cop wasn't rude at all, which was refreshing. I was very honest about everything, and he took my license and the most recent copy of my registration back to his car to check them out. About this time, a highway patrol car had pulled up behind the black and white, which freaked me out a little bit. The highway patrolman (HP) spoke with the metro officer (MO) for a minute, and they both came back to my car to question me. They asked for my girlfriend's license (which was clean), and then asked me to step out of the car. The HP stayed with my girlfriend, and the MO told me that he had to take me in on account of my unpaid tickets and the offense I had just committed. He said something along the lines of, "I know it's lame, but I have to take you in, because you have to get those tickets taken care of...I don't want to take you in, but I have to..."

That last sentence is important, so keep that in mind. The MO cuffed me and put me in the backseat of his squad car. By this point, the HP had run my girlfriend's license and saw that it came back clean, and he came to speak with the MO for a second. They exchanged a few words, the MO told the HP that he could take it from here, and the HP got back into his car and took off. The MO went to my girlfriend, who was still waiting in my car, and told her to take the car and get off on the next exit, find the closest parking lot, and leave the car there (as it was unregistered and therefore not fit to drive). She said she could find somebody to pick her up and give her a ride home, and the MO told her where I would be headed (county jail). My girlfriend left, and the MO followed her to the next exit to make sure she did what he instructed her. She did, and the MO started towards county jail.

Again, this cop was being cool. He wasn't rude at all, he was rather understanding, and didn't make me feel threatened any more than I should have felt (with the knowledge that I was going to jail). He said, "Man, I was just about to go to lunch before I pulled you over". I laughed a little and apologized, and said, "Hey, if you still want to eat, you fly, I'll buy". He laughed, and it got quiet for a minute. Then, he says, "You know what...this is stupid. What's your girlfriend's cell number?"

I froze for a second, thinking, 'What the # is going on?'. I gave him the number, and he called my girlfriend: "Hi, this is Officer Friendly, are you still over at that parking lot? Ok, good, stay right there, I'll be there in a minute".

He hung up, and said, "Dude, I'm being serious, get those tickets taken care of. I know they're expensive, but if you get yourself on a payment plan, it can be much easier to pay them off that way". I still was having a hard time trying to process what was about to happen, so I just said, "Ok, I will". He continued, "I mean, I was literally headed for that Chili's that your girlfriend is at right now when I pulled you over, and you've been more than cooperative and cool about this, and I'm super hungry, so we're just gonna forget this happened". Now, I'm thinking, 'NO ####### WAY'. He pulls into the Chili's parking lot where my girlfriend is waiting for us, and he lets me out of the car and takes the cuffs off. He says, "If that HP would have got to you first, he would have taken you straight to jail, because they're not allowed to use discretion in cases like this. Metro officers are allowed to use discretion, and that whole time, I was just thinking about how bad I was craving Chili's, man. It's a good thing I was able to get him out of there so easily, otherwise, you'd be getting booked right now".

In retrospect, when the MO said, "I don't want to take you in, but I have to...", it's clear that what he really meant was, "I want some Chili's, and I'm seriously considering letting you go so that I can get me some of that, but I have to get this HP out of here before I can make that decision".

I thanked the MO, and told him I would take care of my tickets asap (which I did). He jokingly invited us in to Chili's, but we declined, because the ride that my girlfriend had called for was almost there. I thanked him again, and we parted ways.

My girlfriend and I still can't believe that this happened to me, and this was almost a year ago.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Before I start, I apologize if I put my foot in my mouth I just got off a 12 hour shift...

I am a LEO in Southern Virginia, my department is currently at 49% staff due to budget cuts. On an average night you will hear the following call frequently, "EOC to any available unit we have 15 calls holding 3 immediate." I am working 60+ hours a week at the moment, I haven't wrote a non-accident ticket in 4 months. I can't speak for other departments but I can say that my department and the others departments I communicate with in VA are Severely understaffed at the moment, with the exception of the State Police and even they need more people now. I am jealous of a lot of departments I see on youtube I would love to have 3 guys go to a domestic instead we are usually sending one officer right now.

Secure

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I'm surprised that with all the hateful threads about the police this thread isn't on top topics.

Police are people. Many came into the field because they wanted to help, or their family was in the force for many years, and they were raised around someone they admired and wanted to be like them. They are not ALL bad!!! Surprisingly there should be more stories on how a police officer helped them at one time or another.

If you have only had bad instances with several officers, then maybe you should look at yourself.

With that said I am also aware that there are some out there that have had enough of seeing crime, after crime. Dead people, abused babies, drug addicted parents, while their kids are going hungry, etc,. This I am sure takes a serious toll on someone.... anyone.

Even those that think that the police are their own personal referees and call them for things like a neighbors dog is crapping in their yard, or the burger joint wont give them the correct order. I have personally had to involve the police in domestic disturbances in the past, and some were quite polite, and compassionate, while another would suggest that I asked for it, or that I have to understand that men sometimes lose their tempers.

I have been on both ends of the spectrum when the police were concerned, and never decided that I would now see every cop as the same. The same way that we have a system, like the alert button, this to can be used to report an inappropriate officer. I remember many years ago, my sister was abused by her husband, and the police were called. They took him into the hallway and asked is she would press charges. She said no, that she was scared.

So they said that they would talk to him and return him shortly. The drove for a while kicked his butt, and returned him home. He never hit her again. That might not have been the correct route, but ask her, and she was thankful that she was no longer getting punched in the face in front of her kids.

If you know how to conduct yourself, speak properly, you can get better results. If so many are concerned with the actions of the police, fully learn your rights, be prepared to fight charges, dont blame the cops all the time, because believe it or not, they can give you a ticket, and they can save your life. You decide what you need them for.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
[color=dodgerblue]Good Cop: Redirected traffic so my tire could get changed while I was stuck on the side of the road with my two small children

[color=deepskyblue]Bad Cop: Took my sister in law to jail over an unpaid seatbelt ticket

[color=dodgerblue]Good Cop: Saved a teensy weensy baby kitty from the middle of a busy highway.

[color=deepskyblue]Bad Cop: Shoots an innocent dog like was mentioned here.
edit on 25-4-2011 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-4-2011 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by xXxtremelySecure
I am working 60+ hours a week at the moment,

Respect.

Anyone who is working that hard to make a living, I don't care what you do, you deserve respect.

I hope you're getting paid overtime.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
When law enforcement breaks the law?

Ever wonder how often things like this happen?

How many times have you passed a vehicle being searched by police on the shoulder of a highway?

They select their victims very carefully.

This is how easy it can be!

The greater good these guys do, I'm sure offsets this minor bit of criminal activity, I mean those stupid people were carrying large amounts of cash, they were asking for trouble.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Good cop story for a change.

LAPD has caught the primary suspect in the severe and incredibly cruel beating of a Giants fan after a March 31 game.

Excellent news, and great job for those LEOs and detectives involved in this case.

hardballtalk.nbcsports.com...

As for the victim of that beating...

Stow remains in critical condition at San Francisco General Hospital. He was able to open his eyes last week but doctors say he is still a long way from fully recovering from the attack at Dodger Stadium.

edit on 23-5-2011 by Fractured.Facade because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join