It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should Christians Boycott China?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
So, an interesting conundrum for this Eater Monday.
China, though officially atheist, guarantees freedom of religion in its constitution. It conducts state-controlled churches whose dictates specifically subordinate any Church and its leaders to the State. For example, the State is higher up in the Chinese Roman Catholic hierarchy than the Pope. Further, any local religious gatherings or 'house churches' as they are called, are banned by the government. Adherents are rounded up and subject to prosecution and intimidation by the authorities.

In China, some Christians celebrate Easter in secret www.thestar.com...

My question, then, is why do Christians not protect the rights of their fellow worshipers by exercising some economic clout and refusing to buy Chinese-made goods until the government of China relaxes its Orwellian hold on religious faith? Of course, any person is subject to the laws of the land, but when those laws violate our Western principals of freedom, why do we not use the tools at hand to effect change? Why is a boycott of Chinese goods not being advanced from every pulpit in the land? For that matter, why don't Muslims follow suit?

Just askin...
Happy Easter!

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
It's been my understanding that China has been undergoing quite a revival for at least a decade, and that there are now more Christians there than in America. The govt there may try to squelch those "house churches" all they want, but as history tell us it usually just helps to spread the faith.

Answering your question; western Christians are too materialistic to care. They are praying for us though.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Because boycotting a country or company over religious reasons is barbaric and promotes a stone age mentality. We should not be stooping to their level if it bothers us. It phases me none the less because I'm atheist. But even if I wasn't I'd still say the same thing. It just ends up breeding more hate and we must really stop this stupid cycle of hatred.
edit on 4/25/2011 by Terrormaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Roughly 3% of the Chinese population is practicing Christianity. 1% are Muslim. I mean, really... Do Christians want to take over the world or what? Oh wait, yes. Yes they do.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Hell no..
Buy, buy , buy.

top topics

join