It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Hypocritical Christian

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Since yesterday was Easter I figured now would be the perfect time to post this article (sarcasm inserted) which I know will be viewed by some as slander. These same people will also make many assumptions about me, so before I began I would like to point out that this isn’t an attack on all Christians or Christianity itself. What I am going to share is my familiarity with many “so called” Christians as well as my own past experience of being a Christian. I really have no grudge against the Christian religion, as a matter of fact; I think it has many sound teachings that help millions worldwide. Furthermore, there are many biblical passages that I have quoted here on this blog that I personally adhere to in my life, even after walking away from Christianity altogether.

So what is with the title of this post? Am I just a bitter man who dislikes all Christians? Allow me to elaborate, you might even agree. The issue I do have is with those believers who openly confess to being Christians yet live a life that is severely lacking of the biblical standards they claim to adamantly adhere to. I’ve been witness to countless attacks of character judgment upon non believers by those of the church. Yet these same admonishers are in no way innocent of the same accusations they verbally spew. Whenever I find myself in the crosshairs of one of these hypocritical Christians I can’t help but to be reminded of what Jesus is quoted as saying in Matthew 7:5:

You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

What I find to be absolutely baffling is how a non-Christian can understand this simple concept, yet there are people who attend church every Sunday who fail to comprehend its meaning. How can people who claim to be filled with God’s spirit, profess their love for all, and constantly ask for forgiveness from their “God” be the first to judge those who they feel are lacking in some way? When these same Christians’ savior, Jesus, was asked which commandment was the greatest he replied, “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments” (Matthew 22:36-40). If the two most important things to remember are to love God and your neighbor, how is that so many followers fail to do both? Maybe I’m just not getting it, or I just don’t fully understand the bible, but isn’t love one of the key attributes the Christian God supposedly has? If this is true, then can someone please tell me why love is so hard for so many Christians to fully comprehend?

When I used to be associated with certain religions within Christianity I often would read 1 Corinthians 13:1-13 to get a better understanding of what love meant. I’m not going to quote the entire scripture, but I would like to point out an important passage that has stuck with me, even after my exodus from religion.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.

This simple verse shows us what Christians are supposed to strive for when displaying qualities of love. I realize that no one is perfect and I myself have to admit that there were times when I was a Christian that I failed miserably when trying to display these characteristics. Nevertheless, even though I had some setbacks I still did my best not to live a lie. I understood that I couldn’t claim to love yet constantly point out wrongdoings by others. Ironically, it wasn’t until I completely departed ways with Christianity that my temptation to judge others subsided. Now I won’t lie, I still have times when someone can irritate or anger me which usually invokes my criticism of one or several of their flaws. Typically my judgment is reactive in nature, not proactive as with many Christians these days.

The point being, generally speaking, is I have found that more non-Christians display qualities of true love when it comes to their fellow man than actual Christians. These self professed Christians might as well sleep in every Sunday because something just isn’t sinking in during Sunday service. Perhaps I’m being too harsh, after all this entire post could be construed as nothing more than a hasty judgment against an entire group of people. If I am telling Christians not to be judgmental am I being a hypocrite by calling them out on their obvious failure to apply simple bible principles? But then again, I don’t prescribe to any religious doctrine nor do I live my life according a certain set of teachings. If I did and failed to comply with those teachings then you most assuredly could call me a hypocrite. I also find it astonishing that these Christians are so quick to point out that hell is waiting for all of us unbelievers, but yet they continually live a lie without any repercussions.

I’ve debated for a while now whether or not to write this post. I didn’t want to come across as hostile and resentful towards Christians because I know that not every Christian is a hypocrite. I have met many wonderful, humble and kind hearted people during my stints with different religions of Christianity; unfortunately, as the saying goes, “one bad apple can ruin the whole bunch.” I hope that anyone reading this post, both Christians and non-Christians, understands that hypocritical behavior can be an affliction to more than just an individual; it can tarnish the reputations of entire groups of people. So for any Christian who may have attended Easter services yesterday and got that warm fuzzy feeling as the preacher delivered the sermon, remember if you are going to proclaim a certain lifestyle you should be more mindful of your criticizing behavior.

edit on 25-4-2011 by taccj9903 because: Correction

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 05:32 AM
link   
I logged in just to star & flag this thread. What you wrote reflects almost perfectly how I see this sensible matter.

To the true Christians, hope you can help us remove the rotten ones.
You have more chance to being listened to than us poor sinners.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Vio1ion

Thank you Vio1ion, glad you liked it.
It was more or less written for one person in my life, but it applies to many.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   
I think the problem with modern Christians was the co-opting of the Christian concept by the neoconservatives and the introduction of fundamentalism as the 'old time religion' that really just gave the Christian population leave to feel superior without having to be responsible stewards of the land and fellow man.

Its easy to decry problem behaviors as sins and then be all high and mighty toward the sinner who may or may not have a deeper issue. Yet Christian behavior by and large creates a space in which it is ok to not only stick your nose up at someone, but to shun them as if they were human waste.

I guess many forget Jesus ate with tax collectors and prostitutes were part of his entourage, right?

If I had time, I'd reorganize a church to simply focus on Jesus' words and actions. Its a shame that the most damning part of being a modern Christian came from Gandhi, of all people.

"“I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by taccj9903

Those are some good observations. Coming from both sides of the debate, I can honestly say that many people mistake the subject and the object. This goes for Christians as well. The subject of the message can often be mistaken for the person delivering the message. Much of the delivery comes in the form of bias from the person. In this case, the object is the message. If the message is delivered correctly, the person lives the subject by actions taken. In either case, it is easy to confuse the two. Bias is the key.

Bias builds ground for the other persons to stand against you. This will be true no matter your subject. If bias is eliminated, there is common ground to share the message or discuss alternatives. As teachers of our perspectives, we should always speak to the other person in the manner that they should be speaking for themselves. We should always act for the other person in the manner that they should be acting themselves. Anything else is duplicity. If we say one thing but act it out in another way, then we are duplicitous.

Duplicity and Bias go hand and hand. We need to realize something about this. Not all people are at the same degree of truth as we may be. None of us are at the degree of truth of God. Degree is like temperature, it's one thing. The paradox of truth is this: For every truth you think you hold, there is always a degree, by perspective, which is higher or lower than the one you hold. You only hold one degree while God is above all degrees at the top.

If we hear a train go by, we might mistake the change of the whistle pitch as normal. If we are traveling on the train, we hear no change in pitch. Claiming that the pitch always changes would go against the beliefs of those riding the train. It's not until we all see the excluded middle truth that we realize the significance of both perspectives holding the same truth. Since God is all possibilities at one time at rest, we are merely riding the train of perspective in motion.

We can play ping pong on the train and not even realize that we are moving in relationship to everything else outside the train that is fixed. At the same time, the earth is moving and we don't really sense the motion. At the same time, the galaxy is moving and we don't sense the motion. God is outside the motion as all possibility at rest. In the time that we have been reading this post, we have moved thousands of miles. We have never been in the same place twice--ever. No substance has ever been the same twice. You are a different person every seven years as your cells die and regenerate. Bias says that I (Self) am fixed and know all degrees of difference. In reality, we are all riding on the train. We all see something different as we look out the windows in our heads. We are the witnesses, not the judge.

You may think that I am here talking to you with words. In reality, I was here in the past. You experience what I have written as if it is now. In reality, it is now for you and then for me. I write this now, but you will read it later. God is the author of reality in just the same way. You are living the story after the fact.

edit on 25-4-2011 by SuperiorEd because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by SuperiorEd

Thanks for your well thought out reply. It is true there is some bias on my part possibly due to unrelenting verbal abuse by those Christians my post is directed towards.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   
If you had not shared your perspective, I would never have typed what I just did. This is the way we each learn something. I should thank you.

Here is one of my favorite quotes of all time. It was written by PtahHotep, Visier in the 5th Dynasty of Egypt. PtahHotep is Joseph from the Bible.

"Be not arrogant because of that which you know; deal with the ignorant as with the learned; for the barriers of art are not closed, no artist being in possession of the perfection to which he should aspire. But good words are more difficult to find than the emerald, for it is by slaves that that is discovered among the rocks of pegmatite."

The one in bondage to a ruler is the one that finds the Emerald. The ruler enjoys receiving the Emerald, but the real joy comes form the journey to find it. Suffering always leads to reward. Taking reward form someone else always leads to suffering. Smoke and you get cancer. Work for an education and you get a paycheck. There are no exceptions to this rule. God is the ruler and we are the slave. The difference is, God is a kind ruler who gives us the keys to our own freedom when we have found the Emerald. He never needed the emerald to begin with. We did.

Originally posted by taccj9903
reply to post by SuperiorEd

Thanks for your well thought out reply. It is true there is some bias on my part possibly due to unrelenting verbal abuse by those Christians my post is directed towards.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Maybe I’m just not getting it, or I just don’t fully understand the bible, but isn’t love one of the key attributes the Christian God supposedly has? If this is true, then can someone please tell me why love is so hard for so many Christians to fully comprehend?

The problem as I see it is that the Christian teachings of today fail to provide a practical and effective method for taming the raging ego.

In order to offer love and understanding to others, a certain measure of humility in our standing in relation to others is needed. Christianity seems to foster an elitist spiritual egotism which I imagine must be a challenge to some of the Christians. It would be tempting to look with disdain at those of us who are seen to follow Satan and have not the ears to hear nor eyes to see the divinely inspired message of their holiest of books.

To those of is who are not so specially blessed, it does present a puzzle, but I think at the base of it is the simple human trait to consider oneself superior to those elements in society who have been demonized by virtue of a cherished belief system.
edit on 25-4-2011 by mysticnoon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   

I hope that anyone reading this post, both Christians and non-Christians, understands that hypocritical behavior can be an affliction to more than just an individual; it can tarnish the reputations of entire groups of people.

It is precisely for this reason that you won't see me revealing my specific belief or spiritual path. I am painfully aware of my many shortcomings and how they would reflect on the teachings that I follow. It is enough that I mention mysticism, but I think that is broad enough a concept which does not point a finger at any one group.

In this regard, I do admire Christians for being so open about their beliefs, because this could result in others calling you on attitudes and actions where they contradict the Christian teachings.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by mysticnoon

Christianity seems to foster an elitist spiritual egotism which I imagine must be a challenge to some of the Christians.

Never thought of it that way, but thinking about it it does make perfect sense. There appears to be the us vs them mentality instead of incorporating themselves into the world they separate themselves.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Well, to be quite honest, being born again doesn't mean you become perfect. Christians are still sinners, when we slip and fail and the Holy Spirit convicts us we seek forgiveness and try hard by the grace of God not to make the same mistake again. Since you've stated in the OP that you used to be a Christian then you should know full well that we will never get rid of our sin nature until we receive a glorified body at the resurrection. Being born again doesn't mean we never make mistakes, a honest Christian will admit they have done you wrong and seek your forgiveness.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Well, to be quite honest, being born again doesn't mean you become perfect. Christians are still sinners, when we slip and fail and the Holy Spirit convicts us we seek forgiveness and try hard by the grace of God not to make the same mistake again. Since you've stated in the OP that you used to be a Christian then you should know full well that we will never get rid of our sin nature until we receive a glorified body at the resurrection. Being born again doesn't mean we never make mistakes, a honest Christian will admit they have done you wrong and seek your forgiveness.

This is true and I do understand what you are saying. However, I feel that some don't even try especially if that sinful behavior is displayed over and over. Remember what the bible said divisions in the church?

Brothers, I could not address you as spiritual but as wordly--mere infants in Christ. I gave you milk, not solid food, for you were not yet ready for it. Indeed, you are still not ready. You are still wordly. For since there is jealousy and quarreling among you, are you not wordly? Are you not acting like mere men?

I think that applies to what I was talking about in my OP, eventually Christians should put away those childish ways and walk the walk.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   
would just like to add a few things regarding what I see "Christian" as meaning and what many base their "judgement" standard on is more often than not irrelevant, just from looking at history alone it has near always seemed to return on whoevers own head/household/nation or an opposite desired effect even modern China attests to this..what did the petty unjust charges and then murdering John/Jesus/Apostles/Christians accomplish?.. plus some relative scriptures to sort of frame what "free Jerusalem above mother of all" implies, without mentioning or pasting rather
the already well known "a new creation that counts" or "God of Truth" who is Spirit or love-remembering love also rejoices in the truth and protects

Now the Lord is the Spirit and where the Spirit of the Lord is there is liberty

It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.(see Galatians4, Romans7)

surely God is greater than Xerxes and associates-

For he sent letters into all the king's provinces, into every province according to the writing thereof, and to every people after their language, that every man should bear rule in his own house, and that it should be published according to the language of every people.

individual freedom corporeal body?-

Christ is the end of the law for all who believe..we who are many parts make up One body

And so it is written, “The first man Adam became a living being.” The last Adam became a life-giving spirit.

For why is my liberty judged by another man’s conscience? If I partake with thanks, why am I evil spoken of

For you, brethren, have been called to liberty

To his own master he stands or falls. Indeed, he will be made to stand, for God is able to make him stand.

All things are lawful for me, but not all things are helpful; all things are lawful for me, but not all things edify.

But everyone shall sit under his vine and under his fig tree, And no one shall make them afraid; For the mouth of the LORD of hosts has spoken.

no more condemnation/ judgement and if so by whom?

Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth. Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.

There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

To be found in him, not having mine own righteousness by works of the flesh, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith

He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, doeth he it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

yet here we do have false Christians brought up and how to regonize their fruit (see Romans7,8,9)-

Even that question came up only because of some so-called Christians there—false ones, really—who were secretly brought in. They sneaked in to spy on us and take away the freedom we have in Christ Jesus. They wanted to enslave us and force us to follow their Jewish regulations. But we refused to give in to them for a single moment. We wanted to preserve the truth of the gospel message for you. NLT

For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe. These things command and teach.

Here there is no Greek or Jew, circumcised or uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave or free, but Christ is all, and is in all.

Is it a fast that I have chosen,
A day for a man to afflict his soul?
Is it to bow down his head like a bulrush,
And to spread out sackcloth and ashes?
Would you call this a fast,
And an acceptable day to the LORD?
“ Is this not the fast that I have chosen:
To loose the bonds of wickedness,
To undo the heavy burdens,
To let the oppressed go free,
And that you break every yoke?
Is it not to share your bread with the hungry,
And that you bring to your house the poor who are cast out;
When you see the naked, that you cover him,
And not hide yourself from your own flesh?
Then your light shall break forth like the morning,
Your healing shall spring forth speedily,
And your righteousness shall go before you;
The glory of the LORD shall be your rear guard.
Then you shall call, and the LORD will answer;
You shall cry, and He will say, ‘Here I am.’

“ To what purpose is the multitude of your sacrifices to Me?”
Says the LORD.
“ I have had enough of burnt offerings of rams
And the fat of fed cattle.
I do not delight in the blood of bulls,
Or of lambs or goats.
“ When you come to appear before Me,
Who has required this from your hand,
To trample My courts?
Bring no more futile sacrifices;
Incense is an abomination to Me.
The New Moons, the Sabbaths, and the calling of assemblies—
I cannot endure iniquity and the sacred meeting.
Your New Moons and your appointed feasts
My soul hates;
They are a trouble to Me,
I am weary of bearing them.

God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands; Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things; And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth

Inasmuch then as the children have partaken of flesh and blood, He Himself likewise shared in the same, that through death He might destroy him who had the power of death, that is, the devil, and release those who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.

www.biblegateway.com if want to look up any quotes for context or to use key phrase/word search
edit on 26-4-2011 by Rustami because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Remember what the bible said divisions in the church?

Yes, I also remember that the Lord warned there would be false teachers in sheep's clothing who were ravening wolves who would not spare the flock. And I remember His parable about the wheat and tares. He warned of these things, but the presence of the wolves doesn't discourage me.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

That parable isn't about seperating people...

just so you know

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon
reply to post by NOTurTypical

That parable isn't about seperating people...

just so you know

Actually thats exactly what it means. Jesus tells the disciples the meaning of the different idioms later in the chapter. It describes what will happen to the righteous children of God and the wicked children of Satan at the end of the millennium.

"Then Jesus sent the multitude away, and went into the house: and his disciples came unto him, saying, Declare unto us the parable of the tares of the field. He answered and said unto them, He that soweth the good seed is the Son of man; The field is the world; the good seed are the children of the kingdom; but the tares are the children of the wicked one;

The enemy that sowed them is the devil; the harvest is the end of the world; and the reapers are the angels. As therefore the tares are gathered and burned in the fire; so shall it be in the end of this world. The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity; And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth."

Matthew 13:36-42

edit on 26-4-2011 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Actually thats exactly what it means. Jesus tells the disciples the meaning of the different idioms later in the chapter. It describes what will happen to the righteous children of God and the wicked children of Satan at the end of the millennium.

Excellent point my friend. I will expound on this a bit so that others can watch with there own eyes and understand the process of separating the wheat from the tares for it is unfolding before our very eyes.

36 Then he left the crowd and went into the house. His disciples came to him and said, “Explain to us the parable of the weeds in the field.” 37 He answered, “The one who sowed the good seed is the Son of Man.

Who is the Son of Man? I am, you are, and every other person is. We all descend from Man don't we? Thus thus, the good seed is our children, us, Man.

38 The field is the world,

What is the world? It is the world we currently live in. The one built in iniquity and division. The one ruled by man and the laws man creates. The world of Empire through government and religion.

and the good seed stands for the people of the kingdom.

The Kingdom is the world to come of unity, peace, and love for all.

The weeds are the people of the evil one, 39 and the enemy who sows them is the devil.

Who are the people of the evil one? That is those who are attached to the world of iniquity. Those who have been seduced by money, material wealth, power over others, iniquity in all it's forms. These are the things which prevent people from seeing the divine in themselves, in others, and in this world we inhabit.

The harvest is the end of the age, and the harvesters are angels.

Rejoice! You are HERE.

40 “As the weeds are pulled up and burned in the fire, so it will be at the end of the age.

As I said in my final warning post, those who are attached to this world of materialism will suffer from their attachments. Those who loft themselves above others will be torn down. Those who seek to destroy will be destroyed.

41 The Son of Man will send out his angels, and they will weed out of his kingdom everything that causes sin and all who do evil.

Those things that cause sin are those things that cause division in men, those things that cause others to be ostracised and those things which cause suffering. Money, material wealth, religion, governments, all these things are collapsing as I type this. There foundations are crumbling and when they fall a new world of love and iniquity for all will be built on their ruins.

42 They will throw them into the blazing furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth because by the wisdom of men, division is good, superiority over each other is good, ruling each other is good. This is the wisdom of something other than the divine. Because these things are being destroyed, those attached to them will weep and argue against the actions taking place. Some will even weep and gnash their teeth because they thought in their own vain-glory that they were doing good in the world and that the system they adored was good. They cannot see past themselves.

43 Then the righteous will shine like the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Whoever has ears, let them hear.

Whoever has eyes to see, look around and BEHOLD! This is happening as we speak!

With Love,

Your Brother

edit on 27-4-2011 by IAMIAM because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-4-2011 by IAMIAM because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
No, the only thing happening right now is tares mixing with wheat. The separating will happen at the end of Christ's 1,000 year reign on Earth from the throne of David. That's why it says: "the harvest is the end of the world".

Gabriel promised Mary that Jesus would rule from David's throne and His rule would be eternal. David's throne didn't exist at the time Gabriel made the deceleration, Israel was ruled by the Rome when Christ was born.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   

No, the only thing happening right now is tares mixing with wheat. The separating will happen at the end of Christ's 1,000 year reign on Earth from the throne of David. That's why it says: "the harvest is the end of the world".

Gabriel promised Mary that Jesus would rule from David's throne and His rule would be eternal. David's throne didn't exist at the time Gabriel made the deceleration, Israel was ruled by the Rome when Christ was born.

See what ever it is you wish to see my friend. Watch carefully though...

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by IAMIAM

Sorry, but I don't need you to explain the parable to me, the Lord Jesus already did in verses 36-42. He told the disciples exactly what it meant.

edit on 27-4-2011 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join