It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More than 450 escape Kandahar prison!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   
The following is almost unbelievable. There was a mass escape from Sarposa prison three years ago, but that was then. Now with improved plans and increased security, how could this happen? When the escapees are on the opposite side, I can't help but think that the allies will have to answer to someone. Maybe wear makeup to hide their red faces?

Taliban insurgents dug a more than 320-metre tunnel underground and into the main jail in Kandahar city and whisked out more than 450 prisoners, most of whom were Taliban fighters, officials and the insurgents said Monday.

320 meters = 1 049.86877 feet or 350 yards. That's a lot of digging.

Kandahar city, in particular, has been a focus of the international effort to establish a strong Afghan government presence in former Taliban strongholds. The 1,200-inmate Sarposa Prison has been part of that plan. The facility has undergone security upgrades and tightened procedures following a brazen 2008 Taliban attack that freed 900 prisoners. Afghan government officials and their NATO backers have regularly said that the prison has vastly improved security since that attack.

Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid said insurgents on the outside dug the tunnel to the prison over five months, bypassing government checkpoints and major roads. The tunnel finally reached the prison cells Sunday night, and the inmates were ushered through it to freedom by three prisoners who had been informed of the plan, Mujahid said.

In fact he claims that more than 500 were freed. No doubt there will be hell to pay in allied government discussions around the world. What are the future implications of this? Do you think it will make countries re-think their involvement?

read more here
edit on 25-4-2011 by aboutface because: link

edit on 25-4-2011 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-4-2011 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 03:21 AM
link   
That's just great. Nice escape
I love prison escapes. It reminds me inventive Vietnamese with their underground tunnels. They are the men! Future implications? Who cares? Get outta there stupidos!

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
i was going to make a thread but it is here so i will post my link here abcnews.go.com... wonder if they the prison officials had the movie the Great escape? movies.yahoo.com... if this just does not beat all!!!!

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by bekod

Well that movie's a classic, and it was the first thing to cross my mind. I know that copies of keys were made, keys to the cells. Since I know nothing about locksmithing, can anyone tell me just how difficult it would be to redo, or redesign, or change what appears to be very old locks?

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

do you not know they have no income we have put a stop to the opium trade now how are they to pay for new locks? and all the steel is made in to IED's.

new topics

top topics

join