It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hundreds of Taliban 'escape prison'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Hundreds of Taliban 'escape prison'

english.aljazeera.net

Afghan government officials have confirmed to Al Jazeera that some 540 Taliban officers and commanders have escaped from Kandahar prison via a 350 metre-long tunnel.

Al Jazeera's Qais Azimy, reporting from Kabul, said that a Taliban official also confirmed the overnight escape, boasting that the prison break had been "very well-planned" and that it was five months in the making.

The prison in Kandahar typically holds drug dealers as well as Taliban commanders captured by NATO forces, our correspondent said.

If the officials have the correct number for those who have escaped - 540 T
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I apologise before hand if this has been previously posted. A search has yielded no results.
This is breaking news coming in off of Al Jazeera. The has been a confirmation that 540 Taliban commanders and senior officers have escpaed prison. This is clearly devistating news for the coalition forces situated in Afghanistan.
However, we must note that there was a previous escape attempt at the same prison where 14 Taliban members managed to escape.
I will be posting more news as the story progresses.

english.aljazeera.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Too funny the NATO Forces are running out of Taliban Officers to recruit and coordinate attacks to keep being able to justifying the occupation going, so they had to help a bunch of them escape from prison.

That would have to be the worst monitored prison in the world to not notice hundreds of prisoners dissapearing from tightly controlled and monitored areas where they are constantly being counted.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Oh snap! Once they get their assignments from the CIA we're all in deep $h!t!

I guess Afghanistan was feeling left out of the news lately.
edit on 24-4-2011 by Mactire because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
How on Earth could this possibly happen?? Half a thousand people escape from prison? Considering the "source" I'm not so sure about the validity of this...

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

wow 43k stars you must be right...

Well of course you are, something sounds funny about this story alright, they could tell more ghost stories if they just want to stay longer...
edit on 24-4-2011 by 5StarOracle because: ...

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Skippy1138

No, it happened. I'm not sure about all this fantastic suicide bombing and brazen attacks that led to the escape but I'm sure that hundreds of supposed militants are now enjoying a late while they await their orders from centcom.

This is MSNBC by the way.

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan — Taliban militants staged a brazen bomb and rocket attack on the main prison in southern Afghanistan late Friday, blowing down the front gate and helping more than 600 inmates to escape, officials said. At least 17 police officers and prisoners were killed. The complex attack included a truck bombing at the main gate, a suicide bomber who struck a back wall and rockets fired from outside, setting of a series of explosions that rattled Kandahar, the country's second biggest city. A Taliban spokesman, Qari Yousef Ahmadi, said 30 insurgents on motorbikes and two suicide bombers attacked Sarposa Prison and freed about 400 Taliban members.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skippy1138
How on Earth could this possibly happen?? Half a thousand people escape from prison?

In 2008, around 1000 prisoners including Taliban militants escaped after the Taliban used a truck bomb to blow open the gates.

Its all an inside job of course. This cant happen without the consent of the guards.
I suspect that (like most of Afghanistan) the guards are only being guards because the Americans pay them to be so, but their loyalty still lies with the locals.
Heard a similar story on the radio the other day about paid cooperation with American troops, where the locals interviewed were quite openly saying that once the money stops, so does the cooperation, because their hearts and minds are still with the Taliban.
This war is, and always has been, a complete waste of time, money and people.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

The article does on to state that this was achieved through the help of guard inside, even though 13 guards were killed. It also states that over 1000 prisoners escaped. 540 of which were Taliban.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
350 metre-long tunnel...wow, movie script is ready

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
So who was in charge of the prison? Col. Klink?
2nd line.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
what an amazing story. That is a big prison break. I would feel good if I were a taliban fighter. Bad for the American troops that died so these terrorists could be put there. Many a time I have dreamed of tunneling out of bad institutions I've found myself in. Next time we'll have to chip 'em with RF'id's keep track of these terrorists.
edit on 25-4-2011 by nrd101 because: this to these

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
What was that movie, abuot a bunch of WWII guys form america and briatin, in a german enemy camp, who tunneeld their way out? charles bronson was in that movie. they dug under an iron stove. based on a true story.
yuode think not one of our commanders, or tropps, or leutenants , generals, had enough insight to think the ground was made of dirt, and should have been highly insepcted time to time,, including the foundations and walls, for breaks, chisels marks, removed or missing cememnt/mortyr* things like that., routeinly* amazing ho0w stupidity overtakes sometimes. i wonder if they were let out unpurpously*
an excuse the help this unfavrable invasion of afghanistan to continue, further bankrupting us.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
It just amazes me, the US army, or NATO or whomever, were so blind, tthey didint check for break outs* just walk ther permitier charlie and gomer pyle, dont look at em, jst make yuor presence known*
thats insane*

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
It was a planned escape orchestrated by the CIA....( not to mention funded too )

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

wow heres the hammer i also have the nail.
just in time for another "terrorist" attack somewere, wasnt the traliban created by the cia, well trained by at least.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
After the first escape, you would have thought they would have tightened up security.
Now I hear Obama is planning to keep our troops there until 2014. So lets keep on wasting billions on a war that is going no where. Politicians haven't learned anything from the war in Vietnam. When a countries own citizens help out the enemy, all you're going to get is an increase in troop casualties...this war can't be won.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Can you believe how stupid they think everyone is?

They cleverly covered the escape hole with a prayer rug. The guards never wondered why no one prayed on this particular rug and when the guards would get close to it, all the inmates would start whistling and looking up in the air. In hindsight, they can now see why this was all so suspicious and they will be better equipped to see the warning signs next time Commander Fudd explained.

This is straight out of Bugs Bunny.

He said the diggers broke through Sunday morning and that the inmates in the cell covered the hole with a prayer rug until the middle of the night, when they started quietly opening the doors of cells and ushering prisoners in small groups into the tunnel.

www.1310news.com...

top topics

join