It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Making a Docu on modern day Mystics/Philosophers. Advice?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by dontreally
reply to post by Brown Bear

While i agree that parhaps he should "study" more, i disagree with your emphasis on India and nepal as if theyre the only holders of spiritual beliefs on earth.

Also, i think hes approaching the subject as a spiritually awakened believer in G-d and a belief in a purpose in life and he doesnt need to earn respect from indian gurus who frankly sound a bit pretentious if they wont give their opinion to a documentary that can help many spiritual seekers.

The idea behind him doing this to me sounds like a desire to consolidate the different views - buddhist, hindu, Taoist, New Age, Christian/Gnostic, Muslim/Sufi, Jew/Kabbalist to uncover the underlying similarities and passions between these various approaches.

Quickly: No India and Nepal aren't the "only" holders of "Spiritual beliefs" however there are many advantages for one who wants to enter different Worlds. An Old World with many beliefs evident that often lead the same place. The most obvious example is the shock one feels to be dropped into an entirely different and very strange culture. A Stranger in a Strange Land faced with serious trials of "Individuation."

Often it's sink or swim but the best place to start learning about yourself and your Self. Total emersion and the challege of facing a self that becomes glaringly obvious (and out of place) in an old and vast country like India with an unbelievable depth of belief. Of course there's good parties, good people and beautiful girls, and so many other things your eyes simply won't believe.

Like a billion people and a million beggers. The mere experience of "life" changes one in subtle ways. And of course there's always thailand for a break from continuous prayer and mediatation.

in my opinion to approach the matter with a "belief" in God is helpful... but not much compared with "knowing." Or not... Who is to say where a Journey with take One?. And if you think you know the answers in the beginning then why waste the trip. Remember that for many the Journey is the Reward.

One think that needs to be understood... the True Master's don't speak the whole Truth to the un-Initiated. To hear their Truths one needs to first show the ability to hear them. Why would they waste their time on anybody else?? For some that means years of training to learn how to keep their mouth shut. If you are talking the Master is too polite to speak.

I think what would help many who wish to become serious Spiritual seekers is to get on with the Journey and stop trying to pretend that they're more Enlightened or advanced than the next guy. You're not the first person to make the Journey but nothing besides yourself can open your mind to the Archetype Companions trhat are needed on the trip too.

Unfortunately, I thought the Poster had a grand journey planned but the schedule is for a month. It'll take him a month just to get out of the airport (ha ah just joking) but I bet he's not the first one like him that they've seen over there. But that's not the point as I merely encouraged him to consider the full adventure, Cast his Fate to the Winds, and discover the God's, and his Self.

India is a good place for a serious Seeker to begin looking, but for a month? Bon Voyage. Enjoy your vacation. About the only advice I can give is to be sure to get an air-conditioned Bus so you don't have to breathe the air, don't drive a night, and enjoy.
edit on 24-4-2011 by Brown Bear because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

It really sounds like a wonderful journey you are embarking upon, I wish you all the best.

I only have one question, if it isn't too personal. Who is the guru in India that you already have in mind to see?

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Brown Bear

Unfortunately, I thought the Poster had a grand journey planned but the schedule is for a month. It'll take him a month just to get out of the airport (ha ah just joking) but I bet he's not the first one like him that they've seen over there. But that's not the point. I merely encouraged him to consider the full adventure, Cast his Fate to the Winds, and discover the God's.

I dont see how any of this is relevant to his wanting to make a documentary. What does him being a 'spiritual master', or even having the adventure of travelling through India, Nepal and other Buddhist countries, if what he wants to do has nothing to do with him become a spiritual master?

He simply wants to present the various points of view. From all points of view, and i think there are many Christian, Muslim, Jewish mystics who will be glad to help out with this endeavor of his. I recommended a man myself who will probably not mind giving him an interview on the different aspects of Jewish mysticism, from the ultra arcane subjects like Sefer Yetzirah, to the meditative techniques to the ultimate purpose of kabbalistic and Torah thought.

All he needs to do is get a Christian, a Jew, a Muslim, a Buddhist, Hindu and whoever else to share their own unique perspective about G-d, and how it is they approach this reality.

I think its interesting. And as far as i know it hasnt been done.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
It's kind of a new Age thing, I guess, to think that there are answers that come without understanding that comes from experiences on the Journey. That delusion must come from reading NA books. But of course the question always is whether you're dealing with a serious Seeker, or a lightweight? Each variety quickly reveals themselves.

I know from personal experience that real Masters won't discuss intimate details with people that come through the door, or just any person for that matter. Who would discuss serious matters of the Spirit with someone who is not Initiated. I've seen people with all the answers shunned for years... and forever. And well deserved.

The Journey is important to someone that actually made it and the answers don't make sense otherwise, and the Journey toughens one to hear Truth. But it's not the answer to the first questions that matters, that can come from any book, it's the answer to the second and third questions that matters. New Age dilitants and Philistines are quickly weeded out.

Once again, not so much in the sense of Jung but more in the pages of Campbell and the Journals of Hesse than in CG Jung. You can get the answers off the Racks but without the Journey it's meaningless. I have merely encouraged the Poster to make a real Journey and then tell people about it.

Of course it is somewhat difficult to find Truth when you start from the position of already knowing the answers. The Monks love to hear your opinion. They'll listen to it for years but real Truth will not be given to one who can not hear them. And especially not one who thinks the answer is G-d.
edit on 25-4-2011 by Brown Bear because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-4-2011 by Brown Bear because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by dontreally

I think its interesting. And as far as i know it hasnt been done.

How about William James' "Varieties of Religious Experience", just for starters? (Published 1902)

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
OSHO.

When you visit Pune, go to the Ashram.

Namaste

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I wish you the best of luck, however, I think you should know that they won't be able to answer your questions directly through oral communication. The only thing a guru can do is challenge you to figure out things in your own way, and perhaps give you a taste of what it's like to have complete control...the truth is constantly changing as we change...philosophers might give you a logical proposition that sounds promising, but in the end everyone must create their own truth and morals to live by . Your powers are limitless.

But with that said, it sounds like an amazing experience. I've heard of spiritual teachers who refuse to teach 'regular' people because they are unfit and too corrupted to partake in that kind of powerful journey. You would have to do everything short of completely erasing logical thought from your conscience I'm guessing.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Yeah, why don't you also interview very poor people in various areas? Get the perspectives of hobos on the street in big cities or rural people way out in the country.

These people are forced into life situations that often turn them into philosophers in their own right just through all the suffering they have to endure that people who are better off don't.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   
I dont see how any of this is relevant to his wanting to make a documentary.

you're right it's not... and I apologize. I thought he might have a subconscious desire for other directions.

Sounds like a great vacation. He wanted advice and I advised him to live the life, and then to tell about it.

A horse can be taken to water but can't be forced to drink. I hadn't anticipated all the objections to not drinking.

Anyway, India is a great place for a serious True Seeker to be tested by Fire.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by mysticnoon

I meant as a documetary.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

Try interviewing Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche.

He's a hand full.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Really interesting journey you will have. Wish you can make a good documentary in neutral side as much as possible.

Anyway i think it will be better if you share your method, and what is the inner and outer line for the subject. And what will be the general question for every master and expanding question s frame cos i think you should limit the subject too, in order not to make it a competition documentary like master vs master. Who knows sharing it in here ,other will start give u more input and info and it will might give you a big concept about your journey.

Usually a master wouldn't like if you kind like "ask" them to prove their "masterness" ( if there is such word
). So how you will dig them so it wont sounds like some people thought and not about their s journey. But it will be great if you can present the "magic" of them that common people can enjoy that too.

One more thing to ask that cos you going to make documentary about spiritual, would you review other spiritual side that most people in some area ( particular area that your research occur ) or in general even as bad spiritual, like worshiping demon , collaborating with demon etc etc?

I would really want to know this documentary onces it is done .
edit on 26-4-2011 by maung because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join