It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Making a Docu on modern day Mystics/Philosophers. Advice?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Starting this late summer and for a year I will be doing some traveling acorss the U.S., in January to India, then Europe.

I will be interviewing/filming a handful of Mystics and Philosophers to make a documentary on Enlightenment.

I was wondering if there is anyone you would like to recommend for me to get a hold of and interview, questions that you would like asked, and any other general comments.

A few years back I remembered preexisting prior to this body and being here on Earth. I was basically pure Awareness. I remember discussing with others that my job here is to remind others of God, to share blueprints and ideas on how to directly experience God, and so forth.

I have for the past decade had much success in experiencing God as an Infinite Ocean, pure Love, etc etc ....but the point being is to reach others and remind them of the source and that we are not from here.

I may have reached a couple handfuls of people in my life, and I understand I can't reach everybody, but I feel a Documentary such as this would represent well, my mission here, and would be able to reach many more people and inspire them towards the path to God.

That is all. Questions, comments, ideas, advice all appreciated.

Any haters step off...... There is only Love, peace, and the Infinite Now over on this end.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Why do people who search out "mysticism" always have India on the top of their list? What about Israel and its kabbalists? Or what about Sufism?

If youre going to explore mystics and philosophers make sure it well represents all the different types. Additionally, there are actually more Muslim mystics in the world then Hindus/Buddhists.

I think it would be interesting for you to juxtopose the differences in approach, between lets say Kabbalah and Eastern mysticism (Vedanta/Buddhism).

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by dontreally

Hey,
So far on the list I have a Yogi, a kundalini mystic, a Sufi, a Christian mystic, several Uni-philosophers and modern day philosphers, an advaita mystic.

Dont have any kabbalists lined up, and so far have one Non-tradional Mystic lined up on the India/Tibet border.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by dontreally

i will agree with you on this one.. it seems there is a lot of modern misrepresentation of the broader aspects of some of the middle-eastern philosophies. i do however like the concept of a documentary viewing the different aspects of worldwide philosophies brought together in one place.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

Before I tell you a few leads, I am interested in your comment about pure awareness. Very specifically, what people and events on Earth did you notice before you were born?

I know of a very unique school that focuses dream interpretation within a religious context, and I imagine they have an interesting perspective you may want to learn about. If you PM me I can provide you with the directions to get there. "charismatic churches" in the US are normally much much more open to "strange" forms of spiritual beliefs and philosophy which you may find interesting.

If you visit the Northeast I strongly recommend you find groups of Quakers because they seem to have quite a fascinating spiritual belief system.

Of course I don't have to tell you about Christians... which actually branch off into several significantly different outlooks on life.

Your quest sounds like a real adventure and I wish you luck with it!
edit on 24-4-2011 by civilchallenger because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Can i suggest one for you?

Look up Rabbi Ariel Bar Tzadok.

He would be right up your alley. Hes done interviews for a bunch of shows on different topics. He would be perfect for you, and he specializes in Kabbalah, particularly meditative (and not just theoretical) and practical.. His website is KosherTorah.com...

Im almost certain that he could find the time to do this.

I take it you have the resources to make this documentary, to travel, etc?

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Since you'll probably get into the Mind-Body Problem I would suggest definitely getting in touch with John Searle and David Chalmers. Also, if you want to get into quantum consciousness then try to get in touch with Henry Stapp and if not him, then Fred Alan Wolf.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Well good luck. Tell us when it's finished. I'd like to see the contrasts and similarities between all of them.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Charlie Sheen....I hear he's a Warlock with Tiger Blood.

Seriously though...If this were only about 5 or ten years back, I could think of 3 or 4 really interesting people...but I think they are all dead now.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Hey Everybody,
Thanks so far for the replies and a few names I can look up.

To answer some questions. Yes I have resources for this. I have been saving every dollar from my job for the past 3 years (I work 7 days a week for 12 hours a day most of the time)

Yes I do want to include the perspectives of many different paths.

Yes I will post the docu free online, youtube, ats, where-ever.

This is sort of my giving back to hummanity project. Basically one of the main last things to do before my mission here is complete. The rest of my life I will be spending in meditation, solitude, or wheatever life brings this way.

Yes I am aware of Awareness and everything that entails that aspect of True-Self. The experience of awareness itself actually came to me from studying Advaita and nondual traditions.

For the Docu, im mostly looking for Giants, i.e. the best representatives of theirs paths that genuinely seemed to have found enlightenment and their views on it.

Also please if you can post some questions to ask. That would be great!

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   

My advice is dont wait till the end of the show to debunk them, I hate when nat geo does that, Just do it 1 by 1 as you go.

I am a believer in Mysticism and ESP but unfortunately most so called psychics, mediums,mystics etc who are well known and eager to get on camera are frauds.
I hope the doco is done from a slightly skeptical scientific angle and not just swallowing then regurgitating what they have said.
I love these sorts of docos and I look forward to hearing more about urs.

Best of luck and have a safe happy journey, wish I was going with

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   

I hope you find what you're looking for on this thread. Looks a little like you're fishing for the results of other perple's work or maybe looking for a short cut where there can be none. A subconscious PUSH to get you onto a Path?

The truth of the matter is that you can't swing a dead cat in India without striking a Master, or a Guru, or an Enlightened person. The only question of course, is "how would you know the difference?" Especially during the whirlwind 1 year around the world trip that you have planned. When will you catch your breath and stop being distracted???

I'd suggest that if you go to India expect that it will take time there to learn even a few answers. Of course be warned that it'll probably take you many years before you're even able to discover the right questions to ask. The credentials you've expressed won't impress anybody anywhere that serious work is being done.

In other words, maybe better to approach India as a humble Seeker instead of "somebody" that thinks he has some of the answers There are people in the World serious about the Spiritual Path but even if you could spot them what makes you think they'd speak honestly to you? . The world is full of charlatans that already know that you won't know the difference.

Maybe better to set your sights on doing your own work, on your own Self. Spend some time in Dharamsala (during the summer), learn about life in the train station in Old Delhi; or on the banks of the Ganga, or smoking hash with the Monks in Manali, and all of life and death that happens inbetween: the Camel Festival, the Flea Market, the Pink City, Jalsamere and the flow of life.

Have your fortune read and talk to everybody's Master. Ride the trains, and the buses, and buy an old Enfield. Party in Goa in the winter and pray in Pune when you need it.. Don't forget the Mountains in Nepal, there's strange things going on up there. And Pokera. But be warned that a typical American probably won't be too welcome anywhere... and your first challenge is to discover "why."

In other words, cast your fate to the winds and go where the Gods take you. Spend time in the burning ghats and contemplate on Impermanence and discover that driving an Enfield in traffic will bring you closer to God then you've ever been... but then really learning to pray is only beginning. But you won't know that until you get there.

So you see, you could be on the verge of an adventure greater than a greedy Ego could ever imagine. The Spiritual World is your Oyster but only if you have the courage to open your horizons enough to go for the Journey instead of the presumption of knowledge....

edit on 24-4-2011 by Brown Bear because: spelling

edit on 24-4-2011 by Brown Bear because: add content

edit on 24-4-2011 by Brown Bear because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

I prefer that approach aswell. At the very least it separates you from being seen as a fanatic.

Quite often an objective approach is much more conducive to influencing peoples beliefs than the assumption that what is being spoken about is truth. Which is why i think some of the first issues you should tackle the objective reality of consciousness, based on metaphysical concepts, in Kabbalah for instance, and than on what science can shed on this subject. From what i have read, Jungian psychology has some interesting theories (which are very much derived from the kabbalah), and particularly Jung and Wolfgang Paulies colloboration "The Interpretation of Nature and the Psyche" explores the fundamental relationship between mind and matter, and how one is essentially the reflection of the other, and perhaps modeled after a higher spiritual model that structures the reality of mind and matter in a correlative manner . From there you could explore the different philosophies and approaches to this reality.

For instance, Jews and Muslims seek to integrate their beliefs into a lifestyle, therebye "elevating" the mundane activities of ordinary life and spiritualizing it.

Compare that approach to the more ascetic Yogis, and Buddhists of India and the Far east, or the animist "shamans" of south america and africa......

Just some suggestions. Im not an expert at all in any of these subjects so i hope someone else can expand.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Brown Bear

While i agree that parhaps he should "study" more, i disagree with your emphasis on India and nepal as if theyre the only holders of spiritual beliefs on earth.

Also, i think hes approaching the subject as a spiritually awakened believer in G-d and a belief in a purpose in life and he doesnt need to earn respect from indian gurus who frankly sound a bit pretentious if they wont give their opinion to a documentary that can help many spiritual seekers.

The idea behind him doing this to me sounds like a desire to consolidate the different views - buddhist, hindu, Taoist, New Age, Christian/Gnostic, Muslim/Sufi, Jew/Kabbalist to uncover the underlying similarities and passions between these various approaches.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Furthermore, the fact that there are varying beliefs, between Muslims and Hindus, who certainly dont get along as we all know, Jew, Christians, Animists, "knowing what the right questions are" as you said would then be confined to only the Dharmic path, and not representative of all the different views. I think the less exposed, and for lack of better words, conditioned, he is by one school of thought the better.

That way the documentary can have a more authentic and sincere effect is if his goal remains simple: what he described in the beginning of his post.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Looks a little like you're fishing for the results of other perple's work or maybe looking for a short cut where there can be none. A subconscious PUSH to get you onto a Path?

I enjoy ATS and have respected and intelligent friends here, besides just in the real world. I came here to see what others think about this, angles to take, objective vs. subjective, etc. There is no need for a push, as it has already been set to do this according to the limited funds available ....and India is one of the stops because I know a master who lives there who is genuine (to me at least)

Especially during the whirlwind 1 year around the world trip that you have planned. When will you catch your breath and stop being distracted.

1 month in india, 1 month in EU, the rest, when time presents itself ....in various states. Distractions are family and work...althoug all of that is part of life so really there are no distractions.

I'd suggest that if you go to India expect that it will take time there to learn even a few answers. Of course be warned that it'll probably take you many years before you're even able to discover the right questions to ask. The credentials you've expressed won't impress anybody anywhere that serious work is being done.

I dont have questions of my own and dont need to ask..... I personally found my peace..and a piece of enlightenment where there is no I so no need to ask anything. Perhaps this is why I ask others what some intersting questions would be..... cause I have none.....

I haven't expressed any credentials..... all I did was post 1 remembrence of preexistence that is the motivating factor for accomplishing a mission here. I dont care of credentials and they mean nothing to me in a world where I have discovered there to be no 'I' .....

I know India has many so called "masters" just waiting to get your money, or face time on the camera. I want to interview those in the caves/mountains reluctant to speak on camera. The folks mapping out Consciousness and God for the last few decades in solitude. Its not difficult to spot a fraud .......im no spring chicken to the path.

In other words, maybe better to approach India as a humble Seeker instead of "somebody" that thinks he has some of the answers There are people in the World serious about the Spiritual Path but even if you could spot them what makes you think they'd speak honestly to you? . The world is full of charlatans that already know that you won't know the difference.

My initial approach was to ask; What is God? How do you directly experience this God. Why are we here? Can you provide a map to any of these things? And much much more.....

Do I think I have ansers? Yes .....but this is not about me. Would a genuine person on the Path speak to me? Yes of course!!! Why? Because what is found on the path wants to be known to all. Its an inherent trait that once God is found, the next step is to release the knowledge. Look at the Giants of the Past (Buddha, Christ, Nisargadatta, etc...... ) to give back to humanity this wisdom is just natural.

Maybe better to set your sights on doing your own work, on your own Self. Spend some time in Dharamsala (during the summer), learn about life in the train station in Old Delhi; or on the banks of the Ganga, or smoking hash with the Monks in Manali, and all of life and death that happens inbetween: the Camel Festival, the Flea Market, the Pink City, Jalsamere and the flow of life.

Like I said its not about me ......its about others who are genuine and can share their knowledge. I've done a decade of work on Self and eventually found myself to be an illusion, a thought. Hardly would a trip to India spent in traffic and the bustling streets be anymore necessary than to see already what is within us right here right now and to see the Illusion of I.

Which is why i think some of the first issues you should tackle the objective reality of consciousness

Oh most def that will be in there...... Im not necessarily coming at this with an angle of; "If God exists prove it."

More so, what is God, where, and how does one connect or experience this as a reality ...based on a multitude of different cultures and backgrounds. The viewer can take away from it what they wish.....

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by dominicus

This is sort of my giving back to hummanity project. Basically one of the main last things to do before my mission here is complete. The rest of my life I will be spending in meditation, solitude, or wheatever life brings this way.

Yes I am aware of Awareness and everything that entails that aspect of True-Self.

I wish you were joking but I doubt that you are. Some think that it's important to help yourself first in order to be able to help "Humanity" at a later point, if at all. Perhaps you have the cart before the horse and maybe better to start with Meditation, Solitude, and Prayer you mention in ordser to discover the life that comes your way.

And perhaps a better position to take with any true Master should you encounter them (which I doubt), is to keep your mouth shut about your opinions on awareness and the True Self. Freiendly advice Grasshopper.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Monroe institute and Edgar Cayce's A.R.E.
second line

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   

I wish you were joking but I doubt that you are. Some think that it's important to help yourself first in order to be able to help "Humanity" at a later point, if at all.

So what you are saying is that a person should help themselves first? What ever happened to just helping? Is there a rule written somewhere that says you can't help others unless you've helped yourself first?

Perhaps you have the cart before the horse and maybe better to start with Meditation, Solitude, and Prayer you mention in ordser to discover the life that comes your way.

Been there, done that, and found Truth, Absolute, God ....... this is all in my life Now!!!!

And perhaps a better position to take with any true Master should you encounter them (which I doubt), is to keep your mouth shut about your opinions on awareness and the True Self. Freiendly advice Grasshopper.

Like I said .....it would be devoid of my opinion .....it would be questions only. Has nothing to do with me.

Random Rant:
I find it rather amusing that some people dont believe that modern day spiritual masters exist, that they would grant access, and that such a thing is just about impossible.

I also find it quite odd that it seems some folks are implying(key word)...that in order for me to do a documentary like this, I should first find Enlightenment myself!!!!

Enlightenment is a misnomer. I is an illusion therefor there is No One to be Enlightened.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Typical, Eastern Mystici arrogance.

What is that proverb that all spiritual giants agree on? the first thing to know is you know nothing.

While i think there are varying degrees of worldly and spiritual knowledge, even the smallest among us with sincerity to do good are actually great giants in HUMILITY. A Hebrew proverb goes "let all of your deeds be for the sake of Heaven." ...Another goes, from the Talmud,

Ben Zoma says
Who is wise?
The one who learns from every person…
Who is brave?
The one who subdues his negative inclination…
Who is rich?
The one who appreciates what he has…
Who is honored?
The one who gives honor to others…

This guy seems to have a very admirable goal to bring all the spiritual traditions together to show the common thread in each of them. It is a good thing. In addition, he has saved over 3 years of pay - something i could never do. If you can resist the urges to spend your money on frivolous things, then i would imagine you have a very strong spriitual will. Maybe you should see that as something worthy instead of thinking he needs the approval of the spiritual "giants" of india and nepal to give him the ok, to learn their "proper questions".

The proper questions to be asked are SENSIBLE and LOGICAL questions, and infact the less arcane the better. All he needs to do is put together a piece that will appeal to people on a logical, and then on a spiritual level.

--------------------------------------

More so, what is God, where, and how does one connect or experience this as a reality ...based on a multitude of different cultures and backgrounds. The viewer can take away from it what they wish.....

I think you can get some worthwhile opinions here. Afterall, were all coming from different backgrounds and we all can give some different perspective.

Take what you think will help build the picture you want to build.

I personally think you should start with a scientific approach; from a psychological (Jungian, for instance), Parapsychological (Edgar Cayce society, like a member suggested sounds like an interesting place) and a theoretical connection between physics and psyche, like what Jung and Paulie explored. A subject i think will become more popular in the future (well soon discover that the world of quantum physics is the link between the psyche and matter)....Once that is out of the way and a logical justification is shown to exist for a belief in the objective reality of consciousness, than you can talk about all the different paths, from the East to the West.

Again, im no expert and I would advise that you consult with people that have experience in these things. But this is where i would start off.

Good Luck.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join