It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will gas prices be the end of the Obama presidency?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
www.msnbc.msn.com...

WASHINGTON — With gas prices climbing and little relief in sight, President Barack Obama is scrambling to get ahead of the latest potential obstacle to his re-election bid, even as Republicans are making plans to exploit the issue.

No one seems more aware of the electoral peril than Obama himself.

"My poll numbers go up and down depending on the latest crisis, and right now gas prices are weighing heavily on people," he told Democratic donors in Los Angeles this past week.

In fact, Obama raised the issue unsolicited in a series of town meetings in Virginia, California and Nevada that were ostensibly about his deficit-reduction plan. And he made the gas spike the subject of his weekly radio and Internet address Saturday.

Its possible that the American people will vote for someone else instead of Obama because they are intent on someone that can end the gas prices and Obama doesn't look like hes doing anything about it. The higher the gas prices the more Obama is not going to be reelected.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
The president really doesnt have much to do with gas prices. If people are voting based on one simple issue (and yes, i know many, if not most do)then we are in serious trouble.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by deltaboy

I wonder if he can really do anything about it. From what I understand its a direct reflection of a weak dollar. Maybe Bernanke wants him out of office.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by mayabong
[more

Obama has a lot more to answer for when he goes to the polls.

It's up to the American people to throw this imposter OUT.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Since voters were dumb enougb to think Obama was going to bring all this 'change' the smart thing for an opposing candidate to do is 'promise' gas will never be more than $2 a gallon if he is elected. He doesnt actually have to do it and will never be held accountable so what's it matter.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
What can the president do?

Gas prices will always keep getting higher because there is a limited supply of it. If we continue using gas the way we do, we will run out within 40 years. The less there is, the more expensive it'll get, and since we'll never have more, or at least not significantly much more, gas prices will only keep climbing.

I try to have faith in people, to think that they're smart enough to know how run a country by themselves but such ideas makes me think differently.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
All the government need do is regulate the gasoline. It once was regulated, until Reganomics came along. Thank you President Regan, for that blunder.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
The arab oil producers have us by the short and curlies and are wringing every last cent, penny, out of us motorists... If demand drops they slow down production to keep the price artificially high and if demand rises the price shoots up because of supply and demand! All the conflicts in the middle east don't help either. What really grates my danglies is the way our governments use this to increase their take at the pump. Here in Blighty, if the price hadn't sky-rocketed our government would have gone ahead with the tax increases which they cancelled so we were doomed either way.
With petrol here in the UK rising at average two pence a week I think it was ludicrous that our government had the gaul to dare try to appease us Brits by knocking one penny off the price- a reduction which never reached the forecourts!
people here in the UK are being made unemployed at a terrific rate while others have no option to give up working because they can't afford the petrol to get them to and from work... It's a disgrace.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by deltaboy

If you truly want to know why the gas prices are so high read this.

In short it is because of speculation. thoughtftw.org... click the "write up" link (very long, but good explanation) You can relate speculation to other products not just gas. ALSO.. speculation is just one part of it. There are so many reasons why our economy is in the sh*itter

edit on 24-4-2011 by ElectricWizard because: coz lols..

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I'm not entirely sure the system will be functioning as normal when elections roll around this time. Encumbents and candidates may find themselves in a new situation in regards to the expectations of the voters.

If the public gets as serious as I think they might, people may start thinking twice before they take responsability for the future of the US. The gig is just about up, the gravy train is going to get repossed and heads might just start rolling as more Americans realize just how betrayed they have been by representitives.

You don't sack a mighty nation and rob it's loyal, hard working citizens blind without paying a hefty price for your insolence.

30 years of blatent corruption and abuse. Thumbing noses at the lion... The cage is cracking and the people are getting a taste for real change. Too many pretenders, it's time to turn the dials with our own hands me thinks.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Gas prices are just a symptom of Obamas failures as president. The devaluation of the dollar, higher food prices, general inflation, and an almost gleeful attitude when it comes to higher gas prices.
If we want to focus on his failures in foreign policy as being an effect, as well as his inability to promnote drilling within our own borders, then yes. Gas prices will be the end to the Obama presidency.
Speculators look at a variety of factors when adjusting future gas prices. The dollar, avaliability, economic forcasts, our (American) credit ratings. . .
It is an irony that gas prices, and the economy in general, were reasons why Obama was elected into office in the first place. That the same conditions will be his downfall smack of poetic justice.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

You seriously think these things can be fixed? Then I have to ask.. how? And how long do you think such a solution would last?

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Cocasinpry

Yes, hings can be fixed. Bu it's no going to happen overnight. We need to fix our economy, stop our dependence on oil, and quit borrowing/spending so much.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   
No one can exploit any situation that they themselves refused to do a thing about. The GOP are guilty here.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by downunderET

It is never up to the people who decides who goes into office and who doesn't.

It is all preplanned. Voting never changes anything, it is an illusion of having a choice.

Haven't you noticed this? Whenever someone "new" shows up they always seem like they will change things and nothing ever changes...well for the better or what they say what they will do...

edit on 25-4-2011 by Quickfix because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join