It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just thinking about, oh, leaving the US.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
It has been in the back of my mind for awhile that I want to leave the states.

I was seriously considering Japan for awhile, started learning the language, and then the earthquake happened...
But I am totally in love with Asian culture.

But I would consider anywhere.

I am fed up with health care and with our currency presumably going down, I am thinking it's time to go.

Any suggestions?

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by RainboStar

Russia

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I hear the cost of living in japan is getting quite affordable

You could always stick it out, it won't be long before the US collapses and you can be here for the ride, who would wanna be in a foreign land when everything begins to unravel.

If I were to ever leave, I'd probably go to New Zealand first, Norway, maybe Russia
edit on 24-4-2011 by Tephra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Well Im from California, but I have been living in Germany for the past year. Save for a few minor setbacks from american culture its a great country to live in.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I've been considering Canada. I'd prefer to start with a fairly smooth transition to see how it goes. I've also thought about selling my house and everything and just buying an RV and moving around, working when I need money and just living day to day.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
France.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I've been considering Australia after college. Nice place and very prosperous. Also I know a few people there

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Thailand is a very cool place. Not expensive at all.

I would recommend not living near the tourist areas.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Uruguay??

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I agree with the Germany statement above. It's a great country, great health care for all of its people, and its pretty laid back. No people running around with guns and the crime is really low. I lived there for 9 years until moving back to the states in DEC. Wishing I would have stayed now..=/

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
escapism works temporarily. there will always be that thing that is irksome no matter where you go. i would recommend staying and trying to cope or change it if you feel up to the challenge. it is a question of how much torment you can tolerate. you may very well be better off for a time somewhere else but, in my opinion, you will always want to be somewhere else in the end. ive ran about to plenty of places in my life and even though it seems like the us is going down the drain, i would rather go down the drain here because it is home. im not saying that sitting tight is for everyone, and some might say that sitting tight is for the cowardly. it is left up to the individual to decide where home is. you should consider what you will really be leaving behind before you decide to leave. just a thought...

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Beijing/China...they even got a foreigner programm at the university of beijing.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I was thinking Canada, but it's too close to the US. LOL

I don't think I want to even consider Japan anymore. It's too scary.

Does anyone know anything about Singapore?
I would love somewhere warm, I heard it's a good mixture of people, plenty of culture and English is pretty common.
Aside from all of the bogus laws.
I don't know if I could give up gum.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Singapore is a great place apparently (got a friend living there at the moment). Low crime, safe, clean for a city and always warm! I am thinking about there myself to be honest

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by thegiftbearer
escapism works temporarily. there will always be that thing that is irksome no matter where you go. i would recommend staying and trying to cope or change it if you feel up to the challenge. it is a question of how much torment you can tolerate. you may very well be better off for a time somewhere else but, in my opinion, you will always want to be somewhere else in the end. ive ran about to plenty of places in my life and even though it seems like the us is going down the drain, i would rather go down the drain here because it is home. im not saying that sitting tight is for everyone, and some might say that sitting tight is for the cowardly. it is left up to the individual to decide where home is. you should consider what you will really be leaving behind before you decide to leave. just a thought...

It's not so much that I'm trying to "escape". I just don't feel like I belong here. There are other things as well. There are definitely ups AND downs anywhere that you go, I realize that. And adaptation to a different culture... it would be challenging. But I think, at least for a few years, it would be good for me. And I can always come back.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
All I have to say is good luck! no one wants us Americans around. I find it interesting how we as a society (for the most part) treat visitors from other countries as members of the community meanwhile when we travel most people treat us like dirt. Like laughing at someones accent is considered very rude in the states but if you don't speak perfect French or German you get ignored or ridiculed. They want our food, water, medicine, support, soldiers and tax dollars but not us. The only place I visited ine Europe where people treated me ok was in the UK.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by 3finjo

Alright let me know if you need a roommate .

haha

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by FrancoUn-American

Mate its not just Americans that get treated that way by the French, they hate everyone (yes, bold generalisation I know). I have been there several times and Paris is the worst, in the smaller towns they aren't as bad but still pretty rude overall and I am a kiwi. Maybe they feel ashamed that so many of our servicemen died on their fields during both world wars, who knows. The Danish are cool, though - very lovely people and a beautiful place

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Yeah will do! I have lived in different countries before and it is a brilliant experience. It doesn't mean you are turning your back on your country, for me it was (and is) about seeing the world from as many different perspectives as possible. Its great, totally recommend it. Good luck! My advice is to try and get a job sorted before you go, though - makes things soooo much easier

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   

i do admire your attitude. i just wanted to be sure you had given it thought. no disresprect meant if it felt like any was given.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join